Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which Axe for Cresent Moon?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by LumduL2, Apr 14, 2005.

1. LumduL2

LumduL2 IncGamers Member

Which Axe for Cresent Moon?

Hello

I was thinking about making a Cresent Moon set of Axes for staticing bosses. Someone was telling me about an "IAS table and breakpoints"? I didn't understand what they were talking about then I had to go.

What base elite axe would be best for dual cresent moons for a frenzy barb?

2. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

3. LumduL2

LumduL2 IncGamers Member

I couldn't find any information on "IAS or breakpoint".

What are these things?

Why is a Zerker Axe good?

4. tooie1

tooie1 IncGamers Member

Basically, as you increase your IAS (Increased Attack Speed), you will attack more often. Now the the increase is not smooth, therefore there are "breakpoints" at which you reach a faster attack.

All weapons have a base speed (listed on Arreat Summit or on DII.net) and depending on what skill you use, Zerk, Frenzy, etc and how much IAS you have, you will reach a certain attack speed, normally listed in "frames", i.e a 11 frame zerk.

Assuming a barb with lvl 10 frenzy and using a beserker axe (good dmg, fast, good reach) and no IAS, you will frenzy at 8.5 frames per attack or 2.9 attacks per second. Add 20% ias and you will have a 7.5 frame. Add 22% and you have a 7 frame, therefore 22% is a "breakpoint"

Here's a table of IAS and breakpoints

IAS...Frames per attack Attacks per second
    0%.......8.5.........................2.9
    4% ......8 ...........................3.1
    11%.....7.5 .........................3.3
    22%.....7.............................3.5
    35%.....6.5 .........................3.8
    56%.....6 ............................4.1
    89%.....5.5 ..........................4.5
    152%...5 .............................5

See this interactive calculator for more info:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

Getting 2 3 socket beserker axes will be expensive, may want to consider another choice since once you've got static to go off, you can switch to another weapon.

Hope that helped.

5. Day

Day IncGamers Member

I'm no expert but I'll have a og:

The game works on frames/second.

A certain number of frames are required to make an attack.

Increased attack speed on your weapon and from other gear can increase the speed at which you attack by reducing the number of frames taken. So you could say it takes 7 frames for a character to attack which equates to say 2 attacks per second (i made the numbers up).

Having more increased attack speed will only make you attack faster if it reduces your attack time by a frame or more if it doesn't then there is no effect. So (again making up the numbers) with no increased attack speed you attack every 7 frames - if you have 20% IAS it may make you attack in less frames or it might not be enough and you stay at 7 frames. If it does make you attack at less you are over the breakpoint - the point at which adding the extra IAS makes a differnce.

People talk about the breakpoint for say 4 frames per attack - its the exact amout of IAS to attack in 4 frames.

For each character and for each weapon and for each type of attack eg. for a barbarian, normal or fury or whirlwind there are different breakpoints for the speed (frames) it takes to attack. Some attack rates will also depend on the skill level - eg paladin with fanaticsm, druid with fury.

Couple of things to note - certain characters using certain skills (barbarian using whirlwind and Druids with certain skills) frames are only affected by WIAS - that is IAS from their weapon - so IAS from Gloves will not help recuce their frame rate or enable them attack faster.

A beserker Axe is I think the quickest axe one handed axe- ie. the one that is natuarally fast without taking into anything else - hence it will be easier to get a lower frame rate for all characters by adding WIAS or IAS.

You need to use the tables to look up the breakpoints for your chaacter and weapon and to see wther you an add extar WIAS or Ias to get a good (low) frame rate.

Hope this helps. i'm sure i've simplified it and made errors but it should give an idea.

6. sonikki_

sonikki_ IncGamers Member

Crescent Moon - Small Crescent.. sounds good doesnt it?

7. LumduL2

LumduL2 IncGamers Member

Yes, it did. Ty, and ty too Day.

My WIAS is fixed from the runeword. Should I adjust my equipment IAS to include the frenzy IAS? Such as:

Target 89% BP: Frenzy is +50% IAS, so I need +39% equipment IAS?

8. tooie1

tooie1 IncGamers Member

Unlike whirlwind, frenzy *is* affected by equipment IAS. But you do not add the frenzy IAS when calculating breakpoints. Also note that the example I gave was for lvl 10 frenzy, make sure you use your actual value.

Crescent Moon = 20% ias, if you want to hit 89%, you would need 69% from other items, LoH, Highlords, etc. IAS is not the end all and you shouldn't sacrifice gear like Dracul's for LoH just for the IAS. With lvl 24 frenzy and the 20% ias from crescent moon, you will be attacking almost 4 times/sec which is pretty good. It doesn't matter in your case but I pretty sure both weapon's speed is taken into account.

Check out the guides in the Barb forum for more details.

9. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Use the link tooie gave you to that German site (it can be viewed in English). It allows you to input every single variable and even leave out whatever you want... i.e. you could input one type of axe you're considering, then input your Frenzy lvl (so you don't even have to think about the amount of IAS it gives), then input the amount of IAS granted by 'Crescent Moon' (20%), and then it will read out a table showing all the IAS breakpoints. Write those down and try everything with a different type of axe.

Of course you should always keep in mind how difficult it may be to get a 3-socket version of these axes.