Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which attack to use?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by lumpor, Jun 11, 2008.

1. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Which attack to use?

I'm going to make a throwing barb, who uses melee when he needs to. Since I'll max double swing to synergize double throw, I need to know if I should use maxed double swing or a lvl 1 frenzy (which will also be synergized by double swing), or if I should max frenzy? I was thinking of maxed throwing mastery, double swing and bo and 1 point in battle command, natural resists, increased speed, axe mastery and double throw. Then split the rest of the points between frenzy, axe mastery, double throw and shout. Also, should I put 1 point into grim ward? it seems quite nice to stand in a safe area while throwing axes at all the monsters backs. The prerequisistes can also be useful if there are lots of bodies on the ground and i have no better use for them. I'm also considering heart carver on switch but throwing barbs have a high competition about their switch. So basically my questions are:
    1. Use double swing,1 point frenzy or maxed frenzy?
    2. After double swing, bo, throwing mastery and the many one-point wonders, what's the best place to ditribute my points?
    3. Is grim ward worth it? Or should I use a heart carver? Or not use grim ward at all?:weep:
    4. And also, does anyone know a good non-outdated throwing barb guide? I've seen some (including fallen's), but they're either outdated or don't match my needs

2. robzombiesslave

robzombiesslave IncGamers Member

Re: Which attack to use?

Lets see:

1 bash
    20 double swing
    1 double throw

20 throw mastery
    1 inc stamina
    1 inc speed
    1 iron
    1 resist

1 howl
    1 shout
    20 battle orders
    1 battle command
    1 battlecry
    1 taunt
    1 warcry

72 total points

That will take care of your throwing needs

For melee:

1 into axe mastery is great and leave it at that. Work on frenzy as it is better than mastery itself.

93 points. Then from there you can work on synergizing your frenzy further with taunt.

Sounds pretty nice, wonder if you will stick to using both double throw and frenzy. Lets check damage..

This will give you +283% double throw damage *2
    and +381%, +42% ias, +171%frw frenzy

Not including +skill items or crit strike

Now without the ias charged up from frenzy your double throw will output more damage. But, when charged up with frenzy your frenzy will more than likely give you a higher output damage. However, if you charge up with frenzy, then double throw. Your double throw will give you more damage :) seems like a nice balance. (frenzy will only output more damage because you can get higher damage one handed axes than throwing axes)

Thing is, after + skills your frenzy will probably outclass your double throw so lets check it out.

With +10 to barb skills your double throw will give you +333%
    and your frenzy will give you +481% damage, +45%ias, +183%frw (basically a larger axe wielding flash)

Wow better than I thought! Balanced nicely, I think you have a fun build ahead of you.

However a pure frenzy barb can get to +728% damage 45ias 183frw with the + skills added in.

Ohh and btw, grim ward is nice. But if you're a throw/melee theres no need to scare them away when close, just hack at em. Also, not much thought went into everything I just posted so I dont expect to be right about everything.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  3. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Ok thanks. It'll be mainly for throwing. A good advantage that throwing has is that you can do it from afar. And I'm going to throw and frenzy with the same axes, for more convenience. I think I'll put a point into grim ward to just use it occasionally when it needs to be used. But why warcry?

4. robzombiesslave

Its optional, I suppose it really isnt a good 1 pnt wonder as you will probably only get 2 or so second stun still a good amount of time and since you should get battle cry for bosses imo its only 1 extra point. Anyways, Good luck! Im sure you will have fun with this build. I had fun screwing around with my frenzier with double swing on occasion. I imagine it would have been more fun if I was able to kill monsters when I double threw.

But you should get grimward from a +skill item to test its effects and see if you would actually use it.

5. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

ok thanks. But is really battle cry that important? Can't I use a demonlimb instead?

6. robzombiesslave

no, not important. Just depends on what you prefer. I dont have battle cry on any of my barbs. lol