Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

which assasain should i build?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by FreezerBurn, Mar 19, 2005.

1. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

which assasain should i build?

this will be my first, so i'm not too concerned with originality. i'm just looking for the most powerful for pvm.

2. turmania

turmania IncGamers Member

it really depends on your items available but generally we all agree that trapper/kicker hybrid is the way to go for pvm, its one of the best chars that can solo hell on her own and do mf anywhere.

basic outline is max 3 lightning traps and max dragon talon, put the rest of your remaining points into the other lighning trap. this way you will have lightning dmg, physical dmg and very good fire dmg in fire blast as it has been bumped up by light traps.

basically follow c-beat's guide, its found either here on the stickies or you can find in the strategy compendum look for pvm.

hope this helps. have fun.

3. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

4. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

A pure trapper might be the most powerfull char out there. The bad part is you will mostlikely have 1 element at your disposal. Which means that in hell there are quite some monsters you can't kill. So if you're playing with a team , I would say go for a pure lightning trapper. If you're more solo , I would say go for a hybrid based sin.

There are a few hybrids out there. Some that aren't technicly hybrids (they still only use their MA tree) , and some that use the MA and trap tree. Keep in mind that the shadow tree is always used. :D

Dtalon / lightning sentry hybrid.
    This sin here has 2 elements of dmg at her disposal. a fast hitting physical attack and lightning dmg. With the right equipment she can kill single targets really fast , and does fine against small / medium size groups aswell when it comes to killing speed. Ofcourse , this is equipment depended in how fast you kill.

This sin focuses on 2 things on her equipment the most. Crushing blow for the Dtalon part , and +skills for the lightning dmg from your trap. And you need to get some myrmidon boots ofcourse. So your str will be higher then your normal sin aswell.

Keep in mind you don't need to have to use the trap tree. You could also go for Phoenix strike , or Claws of Thunder as second element. The trap version however will kill faster. This is because you can cast your traps before you go use Dtalon. With CoT or PS you can either use Dtalon , or CoT/PS , not both at the same time.

Dtailer hybrid.
    This sin is different then the Dtalon sin above , because she uses a kick that can do massive dmg in 1 kick , rather then lower dmg with faster kicks. You also need Tigerstrike to get this massive dmg , so playwise it's quite different.

The downside of Dtail vs Dtalon is that you need 40 points (TS and Dtail) vs 20 points (dtalon). This makes getting LS as second element alittle hard. It's still viable though , but your trap won't do all that much dmg. You can always go for CoT / PS aswell. My Dtailer went the Dtail / CoT route , and she didn't get into much trouble.

A big advantage of the Dtailer next to the Dtalon sin is the Dtailer doesn't need Crushing blow. This sin focuses mostly on +skills. And to some lesser extent +str. Str boosts your dmg quite alot , but this is easier to come by.

As for different builds , you can always go for a pure phoenix striker , or you could go for a sin who uses the elemental charge-ups. Just keep in mind if you want to solo , get at least 2 different kinds of elements (physical , fire , cold , lightning). And I wouldn't count venom as a 5th element , because you need massive prebuffing to make it worthwhile for pvm.

5. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Lightning Trapsin. With good lighting and fire damage, she should be able to handle just about anything. And a decent merc should take care of any dual immunes. The gear section was pretty vague though. What would be an ideal gear setup? And about how much would it cost in ists? I was thinking of spending 3-4 ists building her. Maybe more if I end up playing her a lot.

6. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

Well I don't know if you want to go weapon / shield (resist / block comes in mind) or dual claw (weapon block , less resist). Dual claw tends to give you more +skills. Because plain +3 trap skill claws can be shopped easy @ anya hell (not sure if they're shopable in nm aswell , hell for sure). Other then that +skill equipment is what you should look for. Resist is really nice to have aswell , and more or less manditory IMHO. An ideal equipment would be something like the following.

+3 trap amulet with life
    +3 trap circlet with life (2 sockets with dual Um)
    +3 trap / +3 LS claws with IAS jewels or 15% all resist jewels (depends if you're using Fade or BoS)
    Enigma / Chains of honor (if you need resist , then CoH is your thing , otherwise enigma is really nice)
    Magefists (some FCR is nice to have , you don't need 65% for pvm really)
    2 sojs or soj + raven (if you want some cannot be frozen)
    Arachnid's mesh
    Waterwalks / sandstorm treks are both really nice boots.
    on weapon switch CTA and spirit shield (any +1 shield if you're nonladder)

annihilus and 6 to 8 trap skillers (depends if you have cube and books in your inventory or not).

This is ofcourse a more or less ideal equipment for maximum dmg. It's quite expensive aswell , evenmore if you want good life on your skillers. :D

A less expensive equipment would be something like the following.

+3 trap skill amu
    Harlequin's crest / +3 traps circlet (I prefer harlequins for the life / mana really)
    plain +3 traps claws
    Vipermagi
    Magefists
    soj / raven (soj can be replaced by a nice other ring if it's out of your reach , dwarfstar's ok , whisp projector , nagelring , 10% FCR ring , resist , etc etc)
    Trang-oul's belt / arachnid's mesh / rare belt with stats / resist / FHR / etc etc.
    Waterwalks.
    +3 shadow skill claws on weapon switch for casting shadow and Fade/BoS.

6 plain trap skillers.

I think the trap skillers and the soj will cost you the most in this equipment , the rest is cheap to semi cheap. You get +18 trap skills and +3 all skills without the soj , which should provide you with some really nasty LS dmg. On your weaponswitch you have +9 shadow skills aswell.

With 20 LS , 20 DS 20 CBS and 1 shockweb and your dmg will be 5-5695 with LS. Also max fireblast and it does 3118-3676 fire dmg. This can be done with level 70 , but then you have no points in the shadow tree. And you've done all skillpoint quests too.

If you go to level 86 , you have 16 more points to distribute in the shadow tree. That way you can put 1 point in all shadow skills except venom. You can also put 8 points into shadow master. Together with the +9 shadow skills , it'll be level 17. And with level 17 your shadow will get all rare and elite equipment , which helps her tank and do alittle more dmg aswell.

7. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

thanks for the help. i got her through hell and up to lvl 85 over the weekend. plan on baaling her up to 90 tonight. i had most of the items you mentioned, but the good stuff was tied up on other characters. my pally wants his arachnid's and enigma back. but she's pretty fun to play, so I might trade for another set.

btw, can you shop +3 trap/+3 LS claws? If not, are they white, magic or rare?