Which ammy is better for a FO/ES sorc?

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
Which ammy is better for a FO/ES sorc?

Right so I was thinking of making a pvp FO/ES sorc when I found this ammy:

3 to Cold Skills
25 to damge reduction

Would this be better than a low (ie <25) maras? I read in the pvm energy shield guide that its good to have dmg reduction with energy shield but I'm not sure if this applies to pvp as well. Given a basic build and fairly good equipment which one would be better?
 

Gaza0469

Diabloii.Net Member
shade449 said:
Right so I was thinking of making a pvp FO/ES sorc when I found this ammy:

3 to Cold Skills
25 to damge reduction

Would this be better than a low (ie <25) maras? I read in the pvm energy shield guide that its good to have dmg reduction with energy shield but I'm not sure if this applies to pvp as well. Given a basic build and fairly good equipment which one would be better?

Overall my vote would goto Maras - It will give +2 to cold skills and a very valuable +2 to Energy shield which would probably translate to alot more damage reduction over time, not to mention ressys which are a huge benefit.
 

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
Resists don't work with Energy Shield...The damage you take with your energy shield is applied as if you had zero resists...so resists are only useful if your Energy Shield is broken down...Therefore a Mara's wouldn't be too useful, although the +2skills and +stats are still pretty sweet. The cold amulet is very cool, I think I'd use that, if I could get enough +lightning skills to get Eshield to lvl 40.
 

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the help guys. I think that I'm going to use the 3 to cold skills ammy cause its cheaper than getting a maras and its much cooler :D
 

DmH

Diabloii.Net Member
Im sorry to say guys but your all rong. If your making a IO/ES sorc you don't wan't maras or a +3 skill ammy. You wan's somthing that will give you FCR. An Orber should have somewhere around 200 FCR. Anything to low and you will be owned in PvP and in some cases PvM. My Orber uses a +20 FCR ammy but a +10 will do just fine. But remember that skills DO NOT matter alot for an orber. You need FCR more than anything and your dam is only a small part of making a great build for your sorc. If you can manage to get your orb dam anywhere between 1.1 - 1.5k you will be fine.

-90 IO/ES sorc.
175 FCR
1.3k Dam
 

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
Chimaira said:
Resists don't work with Energy Shield...The damage you take with your energy shield is applied as if you had zero resists...so resists are only useful if your Energy Shield is broken down...Therefore a Mara's wouldn't be too useful, although the +2skills and +stats are still pretty sweet. The cold amulet is very cool, I think I'd use that, if I could get enough +lightning skills to get Eshield to lvl 40.
From my experiences, ES does work with resistance, I'm not sure whether or not my ES absorbs the damage, but I know resistance does matter. Most likely, the case would be that the ES absorbed some damage and the resistance helped me with my hp. I know a dramatic difference depending on my resistance when I'm doing Meph runs and get hit by his elemental attacks.
 

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
DmH said:
Im sorry to say guys but your all rong. If your making a IO/ES sorc you don't wan't maras or a +3 skill ammy. You wan's somthing that will give you FCR. An Orber should have somewhere around 200 FCR. Anything to low and you will be owned in PvP and in some cases PvM. My Orber uses a +20 FCR ammy but a +10 will do just fine. But remember that skills DO NOT matter alot for an orber. You need FCR more than anything and your dam is only a small part of making a great build for your sorc. If you can manage to get your orb dam anywhere between 1.1 - 1.5k you will be fine.

-90 IO/ES sorc.
175 FCR
1.3k Dam
I don't really play PvP but... 200 FCR on a timered skill seems a bit wastefu,l really. Unless it's for Teleport?
 

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
DmH said:
Im sorry to say guys but your all rong. If your making a IO/ES sorc you don't wan't maras or a +3 skill ammy. You wan's somthing that will give you FCR. An Orber should have somewhere around 200 FCR. Anything to low and you will be owned in PvP and in some cases PvM. My Orber uses a +20 FCR ammy but a +10 will do just fine. But remember that skills DO NOT matter alot for an orber. You need FCR more than anything and your dam is only a small part of making a great build for your sorc. If you can manage to get your orb dam anywhere between 1.1 - 1.5k you will be fine.

-90 IO/ES sorc.
175 FCR
1.3k Dam
Orb is a timed skill, fcr does nothing for it. And 175 fcr is just as slow as 105. You need 200 to reach the next bp.
 

Ymp

Banned
From the two mentioned amus, overall Mara. The dam. red. in this case is only good against physical attacks. Nice amu though I'd actually like one, so let me know if it's for sale :) The above mentioned fcr amu would be desirable in a rare which has other nice stats... (str, life, mana, res, 2 skill, etc.)

Resists do work, only they work after the damage has gone through ES. With max ES and TK that would mean that 95% of 75% of 1/6 of the original damage goes through ES. Example: 12k damage after pvp penalty(1/6) is 2k, max TK makes ES consider it as (75%) 1500, and then max ES absorbs 95% of that: 1425. The rest go through, 75, and res only works on that figure.

Fcr is important, but there r break points u want to consider: either 105%, or 200%. This means that having 175% is like having 105%.. u cast at the same rate. Reaching 200% is nice but very difficult without sacrificing gear.
Most high end PvP-ers will use 105%. Also as it has been pointed out, cast rate doesn't helo ur orb. Only ur tele. Still need 105%
 
Top