Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where would be the best place to MF an Oculus?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by TricksX, Jul 14, 2008.

1. TricksX

TricksX IncGamers Member

Where would be the best place to MF an Oculus?

As per the title, I have been looking for an oculus for some time, but to no avail. Where would I have the best chance of finding one?
    I just started playing, so I have much difficulty mf'ing.
    I can drop NM andy pretty easily in a full game, but I have a great deal of trouble with NM Meph. Hell andy is a little tricky even with 2-3 people in the game and I dont stand a chance against Hell Meph.

Would NM andy be able to drop an oculus, or should I be going for NM Meph or higher?

I currently have 156 mf from:
    26 nagel
    29 nagel
    24 ptopaz in peasant crown
    50 (3 sigon pieces)
    24 amulet
    3 smfc

thanks for the help!

2. TricksX

TricksX IncGamers Member

Re: Where would be the best place to MF an Oculus?

btw.. i dont have very elite gear or anything, so please dont suggest that I get better gear and mf hell mephisto.. its not gonna happen anytime soon.

I am wearing on an orb/cl sorc:
    Peasant Crown (with p topaz)
    Mahim-Oak Curio
    Nagelx2
    Suicide Branch wand
    Skin of Vipermagi
    Lidless Wall (with p diamond)
    Sigon gloves
    Sigon Belt
    sigon boots

my merc is lvl 65 and can hold his own for a while, but will die rather quickly if i stand back and watch.

3. Voorhees

Voorhees IncGamers Member

Edit instead of bumping.
    If I remember right, nightmare Mephisto is the first boss that can drop the class specific exceptional uniques. Diablo can for sure.

4. naittiII

naittiII IncGamers Member

Use the moat trick for nm mephisto and you'll be fine.

5. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Yeah, Nightmare Baal, Diablo and Mephisto have pretty high percentages of dropping Oculus according the ATMA.

6. ashbourn

ashbourn IncGamers Member

I just found one last night (not for trade) on a Fallen (I think, I was killing alot of stuff at the time) in Stony Field in Hell. Just keep killing creatures!

Joe Fox

7. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

This is truly the best method to MF, don't concern yourself with who and what for that can only really lead to disappointment. My first Oculus found last ladder was in Black Marsh. I have found 2x SOJs the past 2 years, NM Tower and Hell Den; Both with chars that had almost nothing for MF (the last one was with a Barb who had 0). The most "elite" item I have found was a near perfect Nightwing's veil dropped by some random creature one day.

Point is you can run Meph 100x with 300+ MF and come away with virtually next to nothing, switch to a Druid and find a SOJ with no MF. So what is the real best places to look and MF percentage? Well I would say the best is to just randomly kill kill kill with whatever char you enjoy. Really, it's not who or where but how much you kill.

8. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

I don't see any reason why one shouldn't increase his chance by looking up what monster can drop what and how often. Especially for items like The Occulus which have reasonable drop rates from act bosses.

9. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

While you are correct that Oculus does have a reasonable drop rate when compared to other items, my point (which maybe I should have stated better) is that one not necessarily needs to MF for one specific item, thereby setting themselves up for disappointment. While Oculus does have a decent drop rate, you could very well spend days upon days searching to never find one.

Last ladder I was looking for a plain Ward shield. Yet day after day I simply could not find one. I then began a massive harvesting in Hell cows, with no luck. Eventually got one here when someone saw my "ISO". My point is that to obtain Oculus quicker it would be wiser to not simply focus on one single item, but all items in general, many of which could be traded for Oculus. For example while a few runs may not produce Oculus, it may produce Homunculus which could be traded for one.

Edit: An even quicker method is to simply just collect as much as you can, i.e. pgems, lower items which can be traded for pgems, even lower runes like Hel, etc..and trade up to Oculus here, or trade 40pgems online for either Oculus or Pul, then trade the Pul. Point is again that single items searches rarely if ever have a payoff other than disappointment

10. TricksX

TricksX IncGamers Member

thanks all..
    does the drop percentage change based on the number of characters in the game, or does it stay pretty much the same?
    also, if im hunting runes on teh countess in hell, does she drop better runes with more ppl in the game?

11. Svalin

Svalin IncGamers Member

Hey TricksX, Can't answer your last question. Just wanted to say I got 3 occu's from Hell Andy the first two weeks of ladder. How strong is your orb compared to your CL? I would like to give you advice, but which skill does more damage for you? (How much in Cold Matery?)

I found Andy Hell a pushover with orb... You basicly tele into the final room (far away so you dont agroo andy) and start clearing. Then you can run circles and shoot a orb behind you and andy will walk right into it. Best part, if you are out of range she prefers to walk after you instead of using her ranged attacks.

Mephi is a bit more tedious. You tele close to him and keep strafing left and right. You should be able to land an orb and dodge his attacks.

Don't forget Orbs have a 'sweet spot' if you land the final explosion ontop of him you do about 5-6 the damage of an orb that 'misses'.

Hmm, not really an answer to your question, just what worked for me.

12. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

You wil actually get fewer runes from Countess, over time, when there are more players in the game - her rune drop is based on her "nodrop" chance which is highest at Players 1.

I want to point out the futility of trying to farm an Oculus. It really, really is. Monster X may have probability Y of dropping one, but that still means that you might play this game on and off for 8 years and never see one (same way that I've never seen a unique Gilded Shield drop). Why frustrate yourself? It's not even that godly.

Just play the game, kill stuff, and be creative with what you find. That's more fun than eternally grinding away at this monster or that.

13. TheRealDoc

TheRealDoc IncGamers Member

Sorry to necro nearly a decade old thread, but saying "It's not worth farming" is genuinely an autistic excuse to completely avoid the question the guy is asking. Most of the enjoyment players get out of playing this game is literally just killing stuff. I spent my weekend farming Pindleskin, Mephisto, and Andariel all on normal for either exp or specifically targeting legendaries.

According to another thread I found, NM Mephisto onward starts dropping class specific legendaries (like the oculus) along with the next level of legendaries.

14. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

D2 doesn't have legendaries, it has uniques.

15. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

My D2 Golemancer was legendary. And unique.

16. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Just run hell meph over and over and you'll get all the uniques there are except for the good ones.

17. TheRealDoc

TheRealDoc IncGamers Member

It's effectively the same thing, the step above rare. If both legendaries and uniques were in the game and you were attempting to differentiate the two in a conversation, it wouldn't matter, but I've only ever heard legendaries.

18. micheale

micheale IncGamers Member

While heaps of you will adhere to the essential three-sensor setup, we know numerous fans need to push the cutoff points. By expanding upon that setup and investigating new arrangements, you'll enhance room scope and better avoid impediment.

19. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Ah, mich. Thank Goat you're here!

20. Tittan88

Tittan88 IncGamers Member

Sorry brother. No better idea on this.