Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where to MF with a Lightning Trapper???

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by sawse, Feb 27, 2004.

1. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Where to MF with a Lightning Trapper???

I am agonizing over what to make for my first hardcore ladder magic finder. I want something extremely safe since it's hardcore, and I will be fMFing in solo games, so there will be no one there to loot my corpse if I die.

Since I have nothing yet, I was thinking a Lightning Trapper might be a good character to start with. These are my reasons:

*fade can give resists and dammage reduction that I would have a hard time obtaining otherwise

*weapon block can stop anything, and doesn't require a dex investment so I will have more points to put in life

*assassins get 3 life/vitality point

*you can kill things from very far away with lightning sentry do it should be safe

*+3 trap claws should be not that hard to aquire by shopping if I can manage to be patient enough to do it

*mind blast and cloak of shadows can temporarily neatralize normal monsters that get too close

*I should be able to wear a fair ammount of MF gear due to the safety of the build

So, what I would like to know is where in nightmare and especially hell should I try MFing with this character? Are there any level 85 areas that don't spawn any lightning immunes (aside from unique monsters)?

2. minion

minion IncGamers Member

eld/shenk/pit and maybe pindle if you dont mind gettin hit 2-3 hits

also consider a summon nec:

cheap gear
    lots of mf
    very safe

3. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Well, its a good choice for all those reasons.

My trapsin is lvl 86 currently.
    She wears 520% mf with merc holding 144% (black hades 72%, hat 72%). Decent resists.
    Has max resists on switch - 1 jade talon, 1 +2asn skills claw.
    I mf E/S/P in hell mainly. Only 1 hiccup when I almost died as 2 of pindle's posse hit me at once.

I only do the pit if I have BO. I don't believe there are any other 85 spots without LI monsters, but I could be wrong.
    Corpsefire runs can be done quite quickly and net good items on occasions. e.g. My 40% Gheeds :)

4. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Way to do pindle safely with a trapsin:

Enter the portal, run to the first stone pillars, run back through the red portal. (Timing must be right).
    Talk to Anya.
    Go back down red portal. Most skeletons are gone (bug?) and the others don't get up.
    Go into Pindle's room. Immediately cast Shadow Master at their feet. Then spam mindblast until 1 or more convert.
    Set LS traps in middle of room and lure your merc in by running to left of room (where the posse can't charge you). While posse is busy with conversions and master, run out in middle, throw 1 death sentry, switch to mf gear and collect shako and ss.
    Repeat until your eyes are sore.
    Put eyedrops in then repeat.
    Sell items on ebay for $$$.
    Write a book about how you got rich.
    Retire.

5. Mcsaladshaker

Mcsaladshaker IncGamers Member

My first char was a sorc (If ConnerMac reads this he'll flip out ^.^) Ive never really been good with assassins. Anyways, I hear the pit is easy for the Trapper

6. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

I've always found a Hybrid Lit Fury/Bow Zon to be an excellent poverty MFer, not only do they have an easy time soloing hell, you shouldn't have any trouble with E/S/P, Pit or Baal runs.

7. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I wouldn't do E/S/P myself...Eldritch is fine, but shenk either takes 10 years to do safely, or you risk running into a fanat+might pack of slingers and quill rats...
    Pindle is also fine, just run up to him, cast your SM and start spamming mindblast. If you see guys running up behind you just go to the next run.

I also wouldn't touch the pit, the archers are LI and scary sometimes, the chaos sanc on the other hand is nice and easy since the only LIs are never very bad. The biggest trick is when you're letting out the LI boss (can't think of his name) make sure you have as many corpses on the ground as possible so you don't need to wait 10 years to kill one to start off the DS chain. Oh, and wand of LR is your friend =)

8. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

What about nightmare guys?

9. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I ran the pit a number of times with my lightning trapper and about 1/4 are lightning immune there. Now they are not a problem as my merc and SM take a couple down and the CE does the rest. Never found anything though.

10. det

det IncGamers Member

I think when you run alone, you don't need fully synergized Lightning traps, so maybe you have actually skill points for some Fire damage and are more versatile for different areas. (20 LS, 20 WoI, 10-15 DS (synergy for both WoI and LS), some SM, some Fade, some BoS).

Usually Shenk/Eldrich can be run quickly...but really LI's can just about spawn everywhere. IIRC, even in stony field I used to have runs with almost exclusively FI, CI and Pois Imm...and then the next run vertually every goat and Rogue was LI.

11. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Sin can run many places in NM but speed isnt very fast. I have good luck in NM with Daiblo!

In Hell the River isnt bad but you can get LIs in there....if you do just go elsewhere!

12. durph

durph IncGamers Member

my sommoner rocks the pit...(sort of reminds me of a Slayer concert). Anyway, he is pretty good down there. I have had little luck in there so far but I have not been running it too long. Regardless, he has never even come close to death and has scarcely even been hit.

13. Starkey

Starkey IncGamers Member

2 words summoner necro can do any area with ease but slow but id rather do things slower now then fast ive learnt my lesson.

14. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

"2 words summoner necro can do any area with ease but slow but id rather do things slower now then fast ive learnt my lesson."

You'd better bold those two words or we'd get lost in da flow :lol:

15. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

You can run Eldrich in about 30 seconds. The only problem is if there are monsters near the wp (about 30% of the time). If they are the large thornmonsters, they are lightning immune. They also hit very hard. Flux & start a new game. I have found shako & tal's armor from Eldrich.

16. Squatdog

Squatdog IncGamers Member

[email protected] being difficult with a Trapper....

If you come across a LI pack they'll usually be mixed with other monsters you can explode. If not, just Mindblast and let your Shadow/Merc beat them up(I usually chip in from the side with dual Bartucs). Once they start to die, lay Death Sentry.

The best part is when you reach the second level. You can stand at the entrance and cast LS which attacks the monsters on the first tier without any risk. If any LI or particularly tough ones survive, Death Sentry will take care of them. If it REALLY starts to get hairy, you can go back up the stairs.

Once the first tier is dealt with(leaving a mass of bodies), cast LS on the second tier and lure any runners over the corpses on the first tier and explode them. Watching them getting reamed by a massive chain of explosions always brings a smile to my face :)

17. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Do you guys think that for MFing purposes, a Lightning Trapper would be safer than a fully synergized orb sorc MFing in the mausoleum (where there are no naturally occuring cold immunes)? The orb sorc would later advance firewall/firemastery for cold immune uniques.

The trapper has so many perks,... but the lack of a good area with no lightning immunes is a real downer.

18. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

God, build a sorc, build a sorc, build a sorc. Why not build an MF baba for the pit? You can get away with it there if you make him out of iron.

19. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Are you being sarcastic (hard to tell, you're pretty short with people sometimes) or do you think a barb would be good? Certainly find items would be great on all the uniques in the pit. Trouble is I will need a decent weapon to be effective and the best thing I have is moonfall.