Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

where to get soj

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by EmperessNoodle, Apr 3, 2005.

1. EmperessNoodle

EmperessNoodle IncGamers Member

where to get soj

i just wanna know statisticly where i will get soj the quickest? some of my friends said that nm andy is the best for gettin soj, wat do u guys think??

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Nightmare Andariel is indeed the best place...she's not high enough level to drop the higher level rings like Ravenfrost..and she has the special quest drop bug, where she'll drop better quality items than the other bosses. She is also quite easy to defeat for most builds, and the catacombs in nightmare aren't very dangerous so she's very easy and quick to run. You should also consider Hell Andariel, because she also has a pretty good chance of dropping SOJs and can also drop other neat stuff.

3. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

yes, nm andy is the best place. it would help you even more if you had the andy bug. but still, dont expect to find an soj in like 10 or 20 runs. Its more like a few hundred runs. Even if you find a unique ring, the chances are that its either nagel or manald heal. That beats other bosses b/c they have chances of dropping ravenfrosts or carrion wind and other unique rings as opposed to nm andy just being able to drop 3 unique rings.

4. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

Isn't it one out of every 30? That will be a soj at andy?

5. Dinkytoy

Dinkytoy IncGamers Member

At some point Blizzard drastically reduced the chance to find a SOJ, so it no longer has the same odds of dropping as the two lower unique rings, or even some of the higher level unigue rings like Dwarfstar.

I've probably done a 1000 nm and hell Andariel runs over the past year, and no soj for me.

6. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

one of my friends found 3 in one month :p he made also just about 1000 or so I think

7. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Using the single-drop rule

Something I don't think many people are taking into consideration is what happens if Andariel does drop a unique ring and it isn't a Stone Of Jordan. At this point you have a better chance of getting one if another unique ring drops in the same game. So, it would make sense to search by difficulty first, then by area. If nightmare is still the best place for Stones then where's the second best area to search? I'm assuming this link holds all the answers:

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=558

Go through it and check the best places to hunt for a Stone without higher unique rings able to drop, and not just bosses. If you get lucky enough to make Andy drop a Nagel or Manald, good or bad, then stay in the game and keep bonking heads, even common grunts. It may be worth it, someone let us know.

8. Chimaira

I think it would be much faster to just make a new game and kill Andariel again....Normal monsters have a really crappy chance of dropping uniques, and Andariel is special because she has the quest drop bug.

9. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Nonono, you can't force drops like that... The check for what items have already been dropped in that specific game is done AFTER the roll for what ring it will be/would have been. So finding unique rings in a NM game and then go on to kill Andy will just result in a few more rare rings.

10. Chimaira

Yes... it wasn't so in Classic so you could "force" a SOJ to drop if you had a Manald and Nagelring on you. That's quite a blunder on Blizzards side....on the other hand always running around with a Stonecrusher/Horizon's Tornado/Templar's Might would be very annoying:)

11. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

you mean it WAS so? I know it was so before LOD was released, but then it was removed in both LOD, and classic.

12. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Ax is technically right if you are being pedantic. But his rightness will not help you find a SoJ :)

If a Nagel or Manald drops first in the same game, the chance that a subsequent unique ring drop is a SoJ will indeed have gone way up. Unfortunately the chance that a ring will drop unique will have gone down exactly enough to make the overall odds of a SoJ drop no different than before.

This is the distinction between it qualifying to be unique and actually dropping unique.

That said, NM Andy is still your best option, in almost all cases. Second best is pretty hard to estimate - all other targets have a significant handicap of some kind; not easy to compare the relative severities of those handicaps. Depends on the type of char that is running.

13. BD PaiN

BD PaiN IncGamers Member

eeh what is andy drop bug ?

14. Jatsivaha

Jatsivaha IncGamers Member

I found soj from act 1 pit Last night. :clap:
    That was my first one!

15. Babubhai

Babubhai IncGamers Member

Was it Nightmare pit or hell

16. Jatsivaha

Jatsivaha IncGamers Member

Hell pit. And yesterday my second from Hell Andariel :D

17. poisonsack

poisonsack IncGamers Member

Found my first from Hell Andariel. 200% Magic find on my poisonmancer.