Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

where to find high runes?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by FrustratedNecro9500, Mar 23, 2004.

1. FrustratedNecro9500

FrustratedNecro9500 IncGamers Member

where to find high runes?

please dont say "hellforge" hehe. i mean somewhere u can go that is best for finding high runes...reason im asking is cuz id really like to get the doom rune word for a 5 socket elite lance for my merc. i am a blizz sorc, so i figure that - to enemy cold resistance will make me a lot more effective. i have um, but still need ohm, Lo, and Cham. i bet u i will never find the cham :(

but i know better than to try and trade for high runes, heard way too many people on bnet that have got suckered by duped high runes. what am i saying. i will never find this stuff. LOL

2. Frost-X

Frost-X IncGamers Member

More on Total Luck. You can play d2 for 6 months to a year without finding a single rune above vex.

3. FrustratedNecro9500

eek. well, thats not very encouraging. lol. if thats the case tho how come every other person i run into has an enigma or BOTD or something? i must just suck at this or something. hehe.

4. Faye

Faye IncGamers Member

The best way to find runes, is either hellforge (but you know that already) and mass killing. Go to places with lots of monsters, Act 3 and Act 2 tombs comes to mind (in hell of course) and just kill kill kill! More players help too.

They all have Enigmas and BOTDs mostly because of rune duping. Of course, some of them are hard earned.

5. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

i heard the flayer jungle in act3 is a pretty good place..hell of course..i think its cos of the high monster density there.. :scratch:

6. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

1% of them are hard earned, IF that

although I found ohm, istx2, gul

7. methuselah

methuselah IncGamers Member

How about 'the Countess' in act I

8. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

from wat i know countess got a fixed rune drop..but the odds of getting any high runes are really low..mostly Els and Elds..but u can get a couple of Hels there for unsocketing if need be..they drop pretty often.. :lol:

9. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

i have an enigma on uswest ladder i found the armor, i found the jah rune, i found the ith rune :lol: i traded for the ber rune with a lot of nice stuff soj, 49%wt and other mf gear

its legit to me, that all i care about

10. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

From what I know, the high councils in act3 travs and in durance 3 have the highest chance to drop most of the high runes. For example, only andy(1st kill) and summoner has more chance to drop Vex rune than those councils. The summoner's chance is like 0.00000004% better than the councils. They can only drop till Cham. From Sur to Cham, there's no match for the councils. From Gul to Ohm, they are only matched by the summoner(will not take andy 1st kill into the figure). runes lower than Gul can be obtained in the hellforge, or countess runs. For Zod, either run Hephatos or Diablo or Baal. veeeeery small chance tho.

And the specter looking monsters i.e. specters(duh), storm casters(those in chaos sanc) are said to be a good source of the runes. And the Hephasto the armorer has high chance of rune drops.

Plz note that the word 'high chance' here only means 0.0002% or so. :)

11. illa

illa IncGamers Member

Anyone know for sure if crescent moon poleaxe and doom poleaxe for merc work, by that i mean the - to cold and lightning res...

eg.

cold sorc with doom runeword
    java with crescent moon

_ Æ

12. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

A chance to find any of high runes is ubelivable little. For a legit player the way to high runes (especially high runewords) is long, risky and complicated.
    Running Hell Countness gives you a good chance to find/cube a couple of Ists making ~400 runs. This rune is not high of course but a good one anyway.
    Another way is trading high tradables for runes and cubing.
    The third way is cubing/buying p-gems, rolling GCs and hoping for ones you can sell for runes. Cubing to higher valors again.

For instance - how it works in practice: After 150 Countness runs I found one Ist and could cube one Mal. I found also some items I sold for runes = 3 Ists +1 Mal. So I come to Vex + Ist in this way but I think I hade VERY good luck.

Oh... One thing more... I need nearly 200 Ists to make one Enigma, so I´m not sure if I will play Diablo that long... Or if Diablo will EXIST so long :lol:

13. AwesomeDude

AwesomeDude IncGamers Member

High runes? What are those?

I can sympathize with those who can't find them... I want a BotD Great Poleaxe, but it always seems out of reach (I don't need it, but it'd be nice to have something that good for once). If I were to trade off everything I own (collected from the beginning of 1.10 to now), I could afford maybe one rune and the weapon. I've got the most horrible luck in MF'ing, one unique worth even just keeping (3 socket tomb reaver) in the past month or so. I have no runes past Ko. All I can do is hope I get lucky, or maybe someone tires of the game and hands me one (which is so unlikely I shouldn't even consider it). I know things like that are rare on purpose, but at this rate I'll be lucky to still be in the game in the time it'll take me to get one, lol...

Anyone else despise luck?

14. superdude0526

superdude0526 IncGamers Member

I agree with halohalo as I have found high lvl runes like PUL from the Travincal Council (Hell), especially if your able to get them all together and mass kill them. The Countess in Act 1 (Hell) seems to be fixed and you can kill her a thousand times and the highest rune you will ever get is probably VEX. I have gotten terrible runes from her. But I have done very well with Hell Travincal High Council, PUL, GUL, FAL, SHAEL, LUM, LEM, SOL, runes so far.

15. Kaitana Lane

Kaitana Lane IncGamers Member

Doesn't work. Only the player/merc with the weapon gets the benefit.

16. FrustratedNecro9500

so, just to clarify...if i were a blizz sorc and had a a defiance merc with a doom polearm, it wouldnt make my blizzard do more damage?

17. Patchwork

Patchwork IncGamers Member

-

Not to add to the negativity, but I played alot of D2 over the last two years. Tons. I found 1 vex (hell cows) and one gul (chaos sanctuary).

Rune hunting SUCKS

I did discover a new spot right before I quit last week. I started running the flayer dungeon. The drops were unreal. Balrog blades, archon plates, runes, collusus girdles, even an archon staff. The runes dropped consistently, but they were low. I found four tirs in one run. Try giving it a shot one night...you might be pleased.

18. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

I found 2 gul runes last night. 1 from forge and another 20 min later int he same game in a chest in the lost city.

19. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

The best places to rune hunt are in order of act, this does not account for difficulty but higher runes can only be found in Hell of course.

The countess,
    either Tals Tomb or Arcane Sanctuary
    Flayer Jungle and Dungeon
    RoF, the area just before Diablo
    WSK, Baal runs anyone

Ghost like creatures have 4x the chance of normal creatures to drop runes, according to all the post I have read. Cubing a Zod is next to impossible with Runes below Ohm of which would require 64 Ohms and 32+16+8+4+2+1 = 63 gems / flawless gems of the correct kind. If you are really lucky Hell forge can get you the runes you want, up to Gul IIRC.

20. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Can chests be good for rune running? My friend once got an ist, and i once got a ko on nightmare (which is not bad consiedring its nm).