Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where have all the goldstrikes gone?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by BubbaHoTep, Apr 13, 2008.

1. BubbaHoTep

BubbaHoTep IncGamers Member

Where have all the goldstrikes gone?

When the ability to up bows came around I kept hearing that an up'd goldstrike would be a cheap godly alternative to wf. Now all I hear about is use wf or faith, or if you are poor use wws. Does this mean that an up'd goldstrike is #4(or lower) on the list of best endgame bows? I have a wws strafer and I was thinking of making a GA or FA/Multishot bowazon with an up'd goldstrike I think the ed% is 226. Would this work or should I aim to get the best (wf with faith merc?)?

Kind of unrealated question but i'll smash it in here at the bottom: what is the best wep to make a faith in for a merc? hydra or ward or other?

Thanks for any answers!

2. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Re: Where have all the goldstrikes gone?

It takes a pul rune to up a goldstrike. For 2 or 3 pul runes you could buy a wf (on average). Goldstrike does have a massive ias boost, but it lacks the +250 max damage (at lvl 80) that wf has, and it is not much more expensive. Usually, a bow zon is not a persons first character because they are highly item dependent, which means people usually have wealth built up to equip one and can afford a wf straight away.

To your second question, it doesn't really matter. You can go for a faster bow or for one that does more damage. Great bow is fastest and can only have 4 sockets, so larzuk'ng a superior one will be pretty good. Shadow bow is slower, but has pretty good damage, while crusader bow is still slower and has slightly better damage. Hydra has steeper requirements and the same avg damage as crusader.

In the end, I used shadow last ladder because it has a high avg damage for its speed. I also used it on my zon when I got bored, so that is the reason I didn't use crusader as I didn't want to give up too much in terms of gear for ias.

3. Smackin

Smackin IncGamers Member

Goldstrike has massive AR, ias, and % to demon/undead, making it look really nice on paper. However, WWS beats goldstrike by a ton, upped or not. The 40 res from WWS saves ur butt, not to mention 2 open sockets for customization. Top that with 1% DS per lvl(DS doubles ur dmg, %dmg to demon/undead only increase ur weapon dmg) and u have a sweet bow.

4. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

I wouldn't dismiss Goldstrike as fast as the poster above me does.

Not considering the amp damage (*) on WWS, Goldstrike is simply the higher damage bow. It is true that WWS has a lot of DS, but Critical Strike can make up for that easily and puts Goldstrike way in front of WWS damage wise.

(*) It is a bit difficult to factor in amp. It can be had from Atma's Scarab as well, and unless you use strafe (you were thinking about GA/FA/Multishot), the 2% amp is not really something to rely heavily on.

5. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

If you compare goldstrike to wws - comparing it faith wouldn't be intersting - you will see that wws is a bow for the really not wealth persons. Lets have a look.

wws had ctc amp. If you want this on you goldstrike, you need to have atma's. Not that atma's is expensive, though if you already have a good amulet, cat's eye or high lords, you can't use those on goldstrike.
    wws has 40 res. Again the same thing, if you want this on goldstrike, you need to find a very good amulet, lots of charms or a good armour. On wws, you can use what ever armour or charms you have.
    wws has 2 sockets. This means that if you have lots of ias gear - treachery - you can dual leech you bow, where with goldstrike, you'd need a dual leech ring. Or you could nef/sheal it, where gold strike would need ias/knockback golves.

In the end, I'd say both can be about as good, though wws is much easier to build around if you don't have many gear option or you don't really want/can trade for equipment.

P.S. neither of those bows compare to the really good bow as faith or windforce. There are some bows that are just to good.

6. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

I never understood why people like WWS so much. Sure, all it's mods are pretty nice, but:

-2% ctc amplify damage is not enough to rely upon as the means of constant increasing of damage output... in my experience it triggers very rarely, and the only time when it could be usefull is when you're dealing with a single PI boss and don't mind wasting a lot of time. You'll probably kill him with magic arrows before it triggers anyway... It's nice, but I totally disagree with people saying that WWS does 4xlisted damage. In my experience if I wanted to have 4xlisted damage with WWS I'd have to use atmas scarab.
    -40% res all is nice.
    -deadly strike is nice, but somewhat wasted on a bowazon. Of course the fact that you have high ds on your bow means you don't need to put points into cs, but where else are you gonna put points on the strafer? Very nice for hybrids though. Almost the same effect is easy to obtain on other bows via points in cs.
    -2 sockets is nice, but it's only one socket more then other bows have, while:
    cliffkiller has knockback.
    Goldstrike arch has 50% IAS making it a faster bow then WWS.
    lycanders aim has 20% IAS, bonuses to skills and stats, mana leech

all 3 other bows I mentioned have as high average damage as WWS gets after upgrade.

upped perf WWS avg dmg = 98,5
    upped perf cliffkiller avg dmg = 148,5
    upped perf goldstrike arch avg dmg = 136,5
    upped perf lycanders aim avg dmg = 166,5

to me the differences seem too big for the 'nice' bonuses of WWS to make up
    for.

But WWS is still a very nice and flexible bow.... especially on hybrids.

7. MuffinMan

MuffinMan IncGamers Member

Just did the Hell Hellforge with a strafer with un-upped un-soceted WWS. I think it took me more than an hour... Without knockback from helm and Valk + the elemental resists, I would never have gotten there.
    As a low-budget bow, I go for the WWS simply for survivability. At least on the laggy realms... but then again; a good offense is the best defence. Hmm

Btw: what is the strenght req on a upped Buriza? Is upping it worth it? How does it do compared to the other bows?

8. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

More points in penetrate, valk, decoy or pierce if they don't use razortails. wws users often don't have wealth so those things are very usefull.
    Or if you want, get a decent fa.

P.S. Though I agree, wws is hyped and is getting more credit then it should. A lot of bows can be as good as wws, people just forget about them because wws is always first mentioned.

9. BubbaHoTep

Ok well maybe I will give goldstrike a shot just to be different and because I can fill in the rest of the holes with atmas and other whatnots.

A somewhat related question: Are BOTD hydra bows used or regarded of highly anymore? I know the indesctructible mod gets wasted and the its fairly expensive to make but is it good or great?

One last pretty unrelated question: Are 20%ias 6%crushing blow gloves any good? I guess is the 6%crushing blow worth anything compared to say the 350% dmg to demons from laying of hands?

10. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Don't go for BotD. It's a waste of an HR, if you got a HR then wait a bit and make a faith.

350% added damage is alot better than 6 crushing. Unless you're doing ubers :)

11. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

botd is only made on nonladder where it only has to compete with silence - and some other strange runewords. On nonladder, botd is quite good though windforce may be just a good.
    Note that hydra bow is plain wrong. Crusader bows have the same damage for lower str.

P.S. I'd go for knockback ias gloves. If you have knockback from giant skull or from bow, depending on what area you run, those gloves may have some use though loh is always a good and solid choice.

On the hand, every is using loh so using those gloves may be original.

12. BubbaHoTep

I wish I had seen Wmeredith's Guide to Runeword bows (http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=495941) before asking about the BOTD. Now I feel like a noob all over again haha.

Every bower I ever make I come to the dilema of using LOH or other. Usually the other I want to use is Cleg's. The knockback and slow target has gotten me into many a debating defending them as the best gloves in the game for a bow user. Sadly I never use them once LOH become available (except when I played HC, then I rocked them out to the death).