Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where Has All the Love Gone???

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by OpethAZ, Mar 25, 2005.

1. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

Where Has All the Love Gone???

I normally wouldn't start a thread on something, but I have finally had enough. I read a thread where someone had a question on ATMA. Obviously it was their first post and they didn't know that there was a sticky at the top to potentially ask the question they had or maybe even get an answer without needing a post. I am sure to this person they were somewhat panicking as it had the look that they might not be able to access their stashes, that would concern me as well.

So one of the forumites responds and the first thing is a link to the thread and an explanation of the "rules"... how about some common courtesy instead. If you know the answer, give it and then as a polite aside mention that we have some informative threads at the top and some general guidelines that might make the visit better. It just seems anymore that everyone wants to come off as a moderator and not a member.

Maybe I read things differently than most, but I always viewed the forum as a community and lately it seems to lack that. True I do not post as much as some, but I do follow what goes on and am always interested in what others have to say and how they look at things. I even went with the theory of write what you feel, wait a few, read it again and see if you still believe the post is warranted and in this case I feel it is.

Patrick

2. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

I viewed the thread you're talking about and the forum member redirected the new member politly to the Atma thread. I don't see anything wrong in his attitude. The stickied Atma thread is here to avoid posting a new thread at each time someone has a problem with Atma. Answer them if you want to but those who redirect them are right.

Edit: Oh, i forgot. Sint nikolass even welcomed him to the forum :rolleyes:

3. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Yeh, the post was actually quite cordial from Sint. I think you are definatly overreacting. I certainly do not think that even if you are a first time poster it is hard to notice a stickied thread about the exact subject you need help with. That said Sint was quite nice in his response to this person's question especially considering that just yesterday their was a thread started just like this one today about ATMA where Hakai himself had to address the person and direct them to the ATMA sticky.

4. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

1. ~dumdidum~.
    2. If you have something to say about me, use my name..
    3. I actually really dislike the fact people don't read any of the sticky's and just post new threads .. I really have seen too much of that.
    4. Considering point 3. I was pretty nice in to the guy.
    5. Do you really think posting something like this helps the atmosphere in this place, currently I am really worked up and are carefully picking my words not to get banned or resort to worse because of your post. Which was directed straight at me.
    6. Next time use a pm to tell me I'm a dick and get over with it. Then I can tell you how I feel about that and we don't have to let everyone in here look at this crap.
    7. ... ugh. I scrapped point #1.. it wasn't too nice..

''Mil & Sam''

5. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

yikes, where has the love gone?

There have been a fair amount of harsh words going on lately. A few names spring to mind. (looks at self)

We've always had people asking for editors and what-not. The difference lately is that it concerns people who have been involved via trading/giveaways/MP with other forumites. This is obviously going to piss people off since it thereby influences many other members. These are people who have been around the forums for a while and do know the rules. I think people deserve whatever they get.

As for redirecting new members to appropriate threads. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I did the same thing in the "Level 99" thread and didn't mean any harm by it. I hope element didn't take any offence to it either

6. Bazhell

Bazhell IncGamers Member

When I read Sint's response I thought another good response by Sint and I definitely didn't think there was any flaming involved. However, after reading the poster's response they obviously felt that they were brushed off. Perhaps a little more explanation would have helped.

Believe it or not some people don't know what a sticky is. Remeber this guy even said he had a hard time finding the forum, so obviously he is not familar with how things work around here.

I do want to support part of what sleepless said in that I've noticed that some of the responses to beginners are not as welcoming as they could be. Frankly, many are no where as nice as Sint's was.

Unfortunately many of the posts leave no clue as to what level of understanding the indivdual really has on the subject or if there is a language issue invovled and most of us don't suffer fool easily.

By the way Sint, thanks for the advice on the bonehew this afternoon. It made a lot of sense.

7. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

I apologize for making the post directed at you, the reason I didn't use your name, even though everyone obviously knew to what I was refering is that yours was just the one that finally got to me. If you want to talk further on this I agree PM is the way to go.

8. Minor_Deity

Minor_Deity IncGamers Member

It was not to long ago that such would be the common response to a repetitive question thread. Especially being someone's first post. If your going to bother to respond at all folks, why not be positive with it? The SPF was the first time in my life I ever clicked the submit button, and my hands were shaking at the time. The response and welcome I got not only kept me here, it ended up making me look for more of the same elsewhere.

Remember navigation of a forum may be everyday for most, but it can take a little while to learn your way around if your new. Learning both the virtual geography and the customs of the indigenous life forms.

I think you came off very frustrated just as you say you are, and with the attitude that you were annoyed by the "intrusion". There was/is no need for that attitude. I also think you were unfairly singled out in a something that is a common theme. The whole point of this place is to answer D2 SP questions and share D2 SP experiences, and to hopefully have some fun while doing it. How can anybody be frustrated by dazed and confused folks wandering in blindly and asking for exactly that? And what evil bnet hacker is going to change because we send him off to do inventive things with his anatomy involving contortionism. Only by showing him how much fun we are all having playing legit and showing a wonderful community that is built on that, is he ever going to want to change. Then, if he doesn't change and/or brings harm to the community a Mod will step in and do interesting things to his virtual anatomy with the proper and righteous implement. What's frustrating is seeing folks at each others throats over a video game. And not even over the video game really, but over the "proper" way we should discuss aspects of the video game. Even if it is the coolest one EVAR! Seriously let me buy you and anyone else that needs one a beverage at the EMB. Every one should take a deep breath, find a calm and peaceful center within, and then get on with the bloody, merciless extermination of the three prime evils and their vile minions. You know, show them some love.:D

Remember,
    Have fun out there!

9. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Good post deity, I just wanted to comment on the next part:

Well, I for one allways lurk around a forum to see what's going on, before posting I look trough the rules and then see if I can get some help. I know not alot of people do this the same way and obviously as the guy had trouble finding this place (or anyone else for that matter) he wasn't here to lurk for some time. Still, there are several threads on top of the page which IMO aren't easily to be overlooked. The ATMA thread being one of them, the word ATMA is right in the thread name and if you look at the posting date you can see it's been used lately.
    If I was looking here to ask a question about ATMA then I'd look in that thread first thinking ''hey.. a thread about ATMA''.
    Then:
    I've been around quite a few forums, now over about 7 or 8 years I think (only the last one here..) and I allways notice people comming in and posting questions that were even answered or asked in the very post below it. Noone ever using the search button or reading trough the stickies. It will be a happy day when more people will do that. Now if you have seen this about 1/3rd of your life going on I hope you can understand I get a little worked up if someone ~yet again~ posts a common question which could easily fit in the proper thread.
    Considering I didn't like the thread, I posted a decent reply pointing the guy to the ATMA thread and helping him to post an introduction so we could welcome him.
    I don't mind helping people at all and probably about 3/4th of my posts here are either helping out or posting (at) interesting things, so when someone comes along saying that my post, that very post, ticked him off not even bothering to read it carefully or clicking the link, then posting a new thread pointed straight at me saying the forum is running backwards.. then I really do think the forum is running backwards.
    Well, if my name got to you, then you'll have to explain why since I really did nothing wrong in this case. If you looked trough the lvl 99 thread and picked my post out of it then I could understand and maybe have a laugh about it. This time.. no.
    Can't use the PM on this one, you deceided to bring life to this thread and I have to respond in it, not only to you, but also to others.

''Mil & Sam''

ps. I allways read my post twice before I submit it, I even use the preview button...

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I dont see the point in making this thread.
    I think the only solution is water_moon, we need some extra large cookies and hugs, ASAP! :)

11. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

Sint, I didn't see anything wrong with your post. You directed that member where to go and even invited him to post an intro thread. I just think it's a waste of time to be upset about this. You have great knowledge of the game and should spend your time helping others with it. BTW, I appreciate your help with my question about Andariel. :thumbsup:

12. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

On the subject of posts and threads repeating the same questions appearing from time to time, I'm afraid it's something that cannot be helped, it will happen no matter how many FAQs, guides and stickies you have made. As I see it, you can either reply to them in a polite manner, or ignore them if they start getting on your nerves, since chances are somebody else will help the poster out if you don't

Note that I'm not commenting on Sint's post in any way, since I didn't read it, I'm just sharing my thoughts after two years answering the same questions again and again in the Paladin forum... I wrote two guides and two FAQs during that period, and they helped in diminishing the amount of repetitive questions asked, but in no way did they disappear all of a sudden. That's just the way it is, sorry :(

PS: Nice to see you around M_D, thought you had disappeared for good already! :)

13. Minor_Deity

Minor_Deity IncGamers Member

Hail Pallyman! :D

Good to see you to.
    No I didn't vanish for good. Maybe I'll post a little reintro thread, to give an update.

P.S. I'm still wating on those w_m cookies. Er never mind, I found em in the EMB. Seems I have unwittingly taken part in the confectionary transformation of Durf.
    That. Can't. Be. Good.

14. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

I didn't see your thread as being quite as decent as you felt, mind you everyone perceives things differently. I just go back to my point that it takes nothing to give them a quick, polite answer... point them to the right place to find information and invite them to be a regular... in my eyes your post failed in that regard and judging by the response from the requestor, they didn't appear to care for it either.

Obviously I read your post or I couldn't have responded to it. I get the impression you believe my reading skills are lacking.
    You misunderstood what I wrote, your name was not what I was referring to... just your post. The only thing your name makes me this of is Christmas.

Perfectly understood... these are my two cents back.

I'm not even touching this one...

15. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

The neat thing about the FAQ is that they actually answer all sorts of questions that you didn't even have the knowledge in the first place. It's called learning from others. If a person asks a question that the FAQ covers well, they are obviously missing out on a butt-load of other really useful information.

Telling someone to go read the FAQ is not a "Shut up, nub". It's great advice. I read the things about once a month and still find stuff in there that I hadn't properly digested. Telling someone not to post questions though is off-putting and rude. I've not read the thread that prompted this, so I don't know who's right and who's wrong, but it's my guess that you both are right on this one. That's the nature of the beast. We type "Go read the FAQ" and it can be interpreted many different ways.

Yes... there are about four or five questions that seem to be asked about once a week, and it can get annoying. Posts like this one can get annoying as well. Complaining about other people's behavior is kinda pointless on the net.

16. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Well put, threads like this only incite more controversy rather than constructive actions. A negative thread to remedy other negative actions (though I don't think Sint's was) will never solve anything.

17. Gorish

Gorish IncGamers Member

Well said, Shags, on every point. And I agree with Sinc too, complaining about what someone said (or even many someones) is really kind of pointless; all it does is make everyone angry. It is the internet after all, if you don't like something or someone, you don't have to have anything to do with it.

18. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

The original poster, if upset about another's comment should have contacted them directly, rather than making it a board issue.