Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where Has All The Crafting Gone?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GodofWar, May 25, 2005.

1. GodofWar

GodofWar IncGamers Member

Where Has All The Crafting Gone?

I noticed nowadays (great word) that no one really uses crafted items outside of the blood gloves. I mean all of the recipes are very cheep and the orange color just looks great lol. But is their any reason why people just don't use them? I guess its because of all of those great uniques and runewords, but I always found them useful being a newer player.

Maybe a crafted character set would be interesting, with each character only using the items crafted by the certain recipe "set" (blood, hitpower etc) or maybe even a tourny (we know how much this forum loves tournaments).

Oh and I have a question on crafting. It says the Blood Axes always spawn with 35-60% ED, but can they get more in the form of a magical prefix such as Cruel? That would be great to make a crafted axe w/235-360% Ed, although axes tend to be the least used items in the game.

Just a couple thoughts I'd thought I'd share.

-GodofWar

2. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

I really liked the idea on a crafted item tourney :) I thought about this actually when playing the Rare Pleasure tournament. I'd participate for sure.

3. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Crafted blood weapins can get extra ED modifiers, so in theory at least, you could get Cruel and Grandmasters as well as the ED from the crafting recipe, which could, if you were incredibly lucky give you a +510%ED weapon.

Crafted blood gloves aren't the only useful crafted items for high level characters, there's also the godly caster crafted ammy, possibly having FCR/res all/+skills that most casters would love (I know my bone nec wants one:p). Apart from that I can't think of any right now that can beat the high end uuniques/runewords. Maybe some of the boots could, but as I said I can't remember what the pre-set mods are like on them all.

4. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I like the "gambling" aspects of the game, so try crafting things again and again, but than i rarely get anything even marginally useful.
    Best i got was a ring with 8 leech, 25 light res and some 75 AR on it. Not a great ring but my druid was lacking leech, Lres and flat AR at the time, so i was happy sorta'.

5. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

ahem..

I'm playing through the Middle Earth Mod right now which has a far FAR weaker emphasis on runewords, uniques and uber sets. The 2 rings i am wearing are crafted and are the best rings i've seen in the mod so far (i'm in NM Hell right now). I like the shift. In a nutshell, you continue to look for and be able to untilize everything else that drops in the game as opposed to waiting for the known items you need to drop or already having said items and pounding your way up the levels to be able to use them.

It's a bit of a bummer in that for the most part, one can assume that the green thing that just dropped isn't all that great, but set items are part of the add socket + upgrade rare recepie, so they are still integral. But then again, last night i completed the "Master's Tools" set for necromancers (summoners they're called in the mod) and it isn't bad. Set bonus makes for a total of 3 to all skills and 5 to pnb.

So if you like crafting, there's that. Otherwise- yes, i would agree with many of the comments above. Orange looks neat! but aside from a few really useful crafted items, it's not all that handy. Great concept however, and maybe we'll see a greater emphasis on it in D3.

6. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

The only problem with crafting is that it takes a looooooooooooooong time before you're likely to find anything useful. Theoretically, it is possible to beat Laying of Hands and Mara's Kaleidoscope with crafting recipes, but it aint easy.

7. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I've been crafting away, making multiple hitpower gloves for my witchyzon. (I'm currently knockback-less.) I'm looking for some good IAS, but have yet to find it.

- Noodle

8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Why you ask? Because unless you play untwinked, it's almost impossible to have a craft that's better than uniques/rares you can find. I've been trying from release of 1.10, only thing worthwhile was a amulet with fcr/skill/resist for my hammerdin, all with lvl req' of 89 too (or something like that).

9. GodofWar

GodofWar IncGamers Member

Thank you all for your input.

@Nacaa:Yeah I figured I wasn't the only one. A tournament would be great although I wouldn't be able to organize it (not very good @ it) I would definetly participate in a crafted items only tournament if anyone wanted to get one going.

10. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Man, good luck. I just ended up playing knockback-less and it's worked out okay. Maybe a WindForce will drop sometime soon ...

Just from hearing from others who've done the crafting thing and my own limited personal experience .... it's a real b**ch to get one with 20%IAS, +2 to your tree of preference. If you can anything else decent then it's totally gravy. That's why I used a nice rare that I had that was beautiful. The only thing missing ... was the knockback.

So, what I did was try out a CarrionWind ring for the ctc Twister and pretty big life leech and the twisters actually worked pretty well stunning close monsters for a split second allowing me to mop up or my merc and valk to tie them up.

11. poopie_pants

poopie_pants IncGamers Member

I have a pair of crafted vambrances with 20%IAS/resists/knockback and some other mods. I didn't realize they were that difficult to come by....yay me lol :D .

-PP

12. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

A big reason is because rares drop a lot more in 1.10 then they did in earlier version. In 1.09 many throw barbs used crafted axes because the uniques sucked and rares were harder to find, but 1.10 put out some godly uniques. Some uniques also improved, upgrading became an option, and new runewords came out. Yet no new crafts, no reactivated old crafts or upgraded current crafts.

That aside, there are still some nice crafts besides blood gloves and caster amulets. Those 2 are just the most popular. Perhaps I craft more than most, but I would rather have a great craft that no unique can beat rather than a unique that everyone can own.

IMO, you *need* something else decent such as good resists, CB, huge +STR/DEX, knockback (not my thing) or something for it be worthy. Otherwise I prefer the blue 20%IAS +3tree types I bought in the shops and my 20%IAS +2tree craft(s) can stay stashed.

13. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

I'm still dreaming of nice hitpower gloves with 20%IAS, MF and +2 B/C skills for my MF bowazon (from 1.09; she is really not meant for P8 MF/XP runs in 1.10). I had wanted 20%IAS, 3%LL hitpower gloves for my double throw barb but I think my 20%IAS, 2%LL, 3%ML, 8%CB blood gloves will do just fine. I had crafted a pair of 20%IAS, 3%LL, 3%ML, 7%CB, 24%FR blood gloves but it had an insane clvl 94 req. :mad:

I would like to craft more hitpower gloves but they use the same rune as blood weapons (ort runes) and for now, I prefer rolling for an uber blood axe for my axe barb.

14. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

I don't craft much other than as a little something different because the good items tend to have outrageous level reqs.

15. cft

cft IncGamers Member

To be honest, I find crafting too expensive...

... in gems.

I'm still saving all my perf gems to re-roll charms for skillers. Burning up rubies/etc on crafting just seems like a drain on my gem stockpile.

Instead, I gamble for rares. Rare boots, belt and gloves mostly.

16. PyroStock

High level characters crafting can get mods (like useless BoneSpear charges) that make the level requirement far too high. In fact it's often recommended to craft at certain levels other than your L9x character to improve your odds for good mods.

Edit: Everyone gambles for rares. There's not much else you can do with all that money, even for the blue shoppers.

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Fact: farting bbo has never, not even once, created or worn a orange item. wouldnt even know what they looked like if it wasnt for screenshots. IMO it takes way to long to get the perfect mods, and the amount of time / items used to try and get that perfect craft could be spent on more intersting things such as hacking your way through the minions of hell that have been unleached onto humanity.

18. Slothman

Slothman IncGamers Member

In the theme based tourney im playing an amazon "dracula/vlad the impaler's wife" wearing only blood gear :thumbsup: still early days though so not actually wearing any blood gear yet.. and using impale i dont know if ill stay alive long enough to even make anything :lol:

19. PyroStock

Trying for perfect crafted mods is like trying for perfect ethereal titans, few get them but that doesn't make the lesser versions useless. And it's not like chip rerolls. I kill hell minions all the time, in comparison crafting for possibly a great item no one else will have I do far less often. I'm no full clears person, but I like to explore all avenues rather the other extreme of only rerolling skillers with some 30-60sec Meph/Baal runs.

To each their own. :cool:

20. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I use crafts on a lot of my characters. If you need IAS on gloves I think blood crafts are hard to beat. I use these on my strafer:

Bone Fist
    Sharkskin Gloves
    Defense: 59
    Durability: 14 of 14
    Required Strength: 20
    Required Level: 57
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 95
    Fingerprint: 0xd8332f8a
    +10 to Life
    +49% Enhanced Defense
    Lightning Resist +8%
    2% Life stolen per hit
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    10% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +2 to Passive and Magic Skills (Amazon Only)

She also uses this blood craft ring:

Blood Circle
    Ring
    Required Level: 70
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0xc3e5b569
    +8 to Strength
    +15 to Life
    +96 to Attack Rating
    Fire Resist +10%
    Lightning Resist +27%
    Cold Resist +10%
    Poison Resist +10%
    2% Life stolen per hit

My Ironbarb uses this dual leech blood craft:

Death Whorl
    Ring
    Item Level: 90
    Fingerprint: 0xdb3857a1
    +3 to Strength
    +15 to Dexterity
    +15 to Life
    +114 to Attack Rating
    +4 to Minimum Damage
    3% Life stolen per hit
    4% Mana stolen per hit

I have another 12 blood craft rings I've kept including 2 other dual leechers. Also have 30 blood amulets these 2 being the best and 3 Caster amulets - can't seem to get decent ones of these.

Beast Necklace
    Amulet
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0xed2a2bdf
    +20 to Life
    All Resistances +16
    2% Life stolen per hit
    +1 to Druid Skill Levels
    7% Faster Run/Walk
    Poison Length Reduced by 50%
    Level 2 Teleport (5/25 Charges)

Chaos Necklace
    Amulet
    Required Level: 89
    Item Level: 92
    Fingerprint: 0xaab24628
    +18 to Strength
    +16 to Life
    +18 to Attack Rating
    All Resistances +8
    4% Life stolen per hit
    +2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
    10% Faster Run/Walk

Also 21 blood crafted gloves. I tried crafting blood axes too but the best I managed was about a 292%ed one with no ther decent mods.

So there are lots of crafts out there.