Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where do I go from here? (a necromancer's mid life crisis)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by andenno, Mar 28, 2005.

1. andenno

andenno IncGamers Member

Where do I go from here? (a necromancer's mid life crisis)

Hello all. I'm a long time lurker, and have read many of the necromancer guides here (including Nightfish's excellent fishy-mancer guide).

After a year away, I came back to Diablo and started a skelliemancer. (The game really sinks its claws into you.) I've had good luck with trading and finding so far. I'm at level 73.

But now I'm at hell Act 1, and I don't know what to do with myself. My mercenary can barely survive, because of his crap gear, and once I raise skeletons, they kill ridiculously slow. I've seen others claim skelliemancers go strong all the way into act 4, but I'm crapping out already.

My equipment so far:
    Arm of King Leoric
    Peasant Crown
    Trang's Gloves
    Homunculus w/ Pdiamond
    Marrowwalks
    Rare Archon Plate
    +1 summoning +mf amulet
    2 rare rings with little resist, and mana
    Sigon's belt (I know, why am I still wearing this?)
    Some resist and mana grand charms

Mercenary has:
    Rockfleece
    Edit: Husoldal Evo Bec de Corbin (just found after posting, should do better damage than old cruel war scythe)
    Sh*tty helmet

Before you say that I, or my mercenary, need better gear, I don't have the funds to buy everything. This is my first new char.

Lately I tried countess runs, but they take fairly long without being able to teleport, and when I finally get down there she does something like drop 3 el runes!

Is the ride over? Are skelliemancers just not viable in hell? But they're so fun to play! What am I doing wrong? Is there a god? Any advice about where I should go from here would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

Your equipment is pretty good if u r playing untwinked. Things to consider:

1. make sure u have a might merc
    2. make sure u have 20 points in RS and SM and put 1 in all the one point wonders and let your +skills do the work
    3. use CE once your skellies do some work
    4. use your curses effectively, especially amp and decrep
    5. adjust your player setting accordingly
    6. run Baal in NM for a bit if u want

Cheers K

3. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Your merc gear is really bad ... sorry to say.

Run Hell Pits at players 1 -3 or so and find an eth 5 socket polearm and stick the Honor runeword in it. Run Pits enough and you'll level like crazy and you will find some great items for your merc too.

If you play Single Player and accept donations i'd send you some top-end, all legit items just because you actually have the Evo as your merc weapon at clvl 73. Wow ... and Rockfleece as your merc armor? Wow. Sorry, I sound like an ass.

Make sure you have a might merc.

You have decent to end-game items ... from an item-standpoint you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever in finishing this game on a high players setting.

Good playstyle is important and will make all the difference.

Monsters come up, cast attract then amp the rest and then CE the rest. Done. Ranged can be attracted or DV'd.

Buy a staff with tele charges so you can move your army with some efficiency and/or minion stack. If you're lucky you may find Naj's Puzzler which is tele with fcr. Or a rare ammy/circlet with tele charges.

Good luck.

4. rubberband shooter

rubberband shooter IncGamers Member

Level 73 is usually too low for hell, stick to nm baal runs for a while. Your skeletons' to-hit rating drops when in places with a higher area lvl than your charater lvl, so your problem may be your skeletons missing too often. Hell blood Moor have a area lvl of 67, but hell Den of Evil have a area lvl of 79, which is higher than your current lvl. I would advise you to do nm baal runs util you are around lvl 75-79 before attempt hell.

Also, get some life-stealing gears on your merc, life-stealing is important for your merc's survivial. If you are poor and cannot afford them, try sticking a amn rune in tour merc's weapon, as amn runes are quite easy to find.

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Also try to get some crushing blow on your mercenary...this is almost vital for a skellymancer. And even if you're poor, it shouldn't be too difficult to get items with crushing blow. Guillaumes Face is a very excellent choice, Rattlecage, Strength runeword (Amn + Tir). This will help kill monsters faster and thus keep him alive, also helps greatly against act bosses, normal bosses and champions.

Your amulet is also kind of crappy...The MF is sweet but try to gamle some amulets, shouldn't be too hard to get a +1-2 necromancer skills, which will also help out your curses/CE.

I find that merc gear isn't so important, he shouldn't really die when he has lots of skelly warriors as backup. Maybe try to use Decreipify a bit more, it still gives a decent amount of amplify damage while slowing monsters, also try to position your clay golem so he is next to your merc.

And if you just do the things Captain_Insano listed you should be fine, also as bill_n_opus said Attract is your friend.

6. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Make sure your Merc is properly levelled up. This is vital for the build. You'll need that Merc.

The advice given by the other posters is very sound. What I want to know is what is your play style. Where do things break down? Do you use AI curses to control crowds? Do you use your Golem to control crowds? What are your curse habits? Do you use CE? Don't tell me you are running head first into battle.

7. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

My minions do about 10% of the killings while my CE takes care of the rest. Are you using CE?

8. andenno

andenno IncGamers Member

1. Thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice, it's good to know there are such welcoming people out there.

2. Yes, my might merc's gear sucks, I feel like a leper. I've kept him at the same level as me, but I should stop being so greedy spending all finds on sweet gear for myself. :) Thanks for the list of items to hunt for Chimaira. Couple a q's :
    -Does rattlecage become a problem with 40% hit causes monster to flee?
    -Is there an upward limit on CB?
    -Which should I look for, a 2 socket for strength, or a 5 socket for honor?

3. I get the impression that I should do some baal runs to level up, then move on to pits. I quit doing baal when I ran him several times in a row and he refused to drop anything more than some rare throwing knives and that sorta crap. Guess I'll revisit the ole bastard.

4. My play style may be a problem.
    -I do use CE religiously. (Best skill ever!)
    -I switch between amp and decrep depending on need.
    -I practically never use a crowd control curse, except terror if a doorway is blocked with physical immunes. *hiss* I guess attract is more important than I gave it credit for.
    -I never liked DV because even with 1+skills its duration is really short.
    -I usually keep a clay golem around, for little other than sentimental value. ;)
    -I always just preferred to amp everything in sight and wait for the first corpse to fall and *boom*.
    -I think having a crappy merc meant I was waiting a long time before I could start CE'ing.

Thanks for offer of donations, bill_n_opus, but I'm playing on the softcore ladder. No changing /players for me.

Might have more to say when I can organize my thoughts, but I got an appointment at noon, so I gotta run. Thanks again everybody.

9. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

With a necro it can get annoying, because that's also 40% for him to override any curse you have on that monster.

No, 100% is tops. There has been some misconceptions about 95% being tops (I suppose being mixed up with the CTH formula)

Honor is a good choice, but I personally like strength. Strength doesn't help your skellies damage though (Honor's +1 all will increase the merc's might), so it's up to you.

I suggest trying to trade for a Guilliames Face. It's a cheap merc helm, and it's one of the best (35% CB, 15% DS, 30% FHR, ect.)

10. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. You're welcome:)

2. Rattlecage would be awesome against bosses, could be irritating against normal monsters haven't tried it out yet...but I'm seriously considering putting it on my lvl 89 skellymancer's mercenary...since it will speed up killing Baal a lot. Just need to find one:)

3. If you can run Baal without dying/taking too long, then he's definitely the best place to level...the minions give weird exp, especially the 2 last waves. Sometimes he drops crap...actually most of the time:) Still you really need some more magic find before you can expect good drops to happen on a regular basis, and even then...

4. You need to use crowd control curses...I feel that they aren't so important once you've gotten enough +skills so your army doesn't die easily, but if you're having trouble early on they can really save your butt...I still use them when there are dangerous ranged attackers (gloams) and against really hard enemies (moon lords).

Clay golem is definitely more than sentimental value...His slow capabilities are very nice and extremely nice against bosses. He is also the only minion you have that is castable so let him take most of the heat whenever possible...Use him to protect your merc if he dies often.

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

DV needs a bit more than 1 point. It needs to be boosted to about level 13, including +skills. That should give you a nice duration. Attract needs to be brought to level 9, including +skills. Both are wonderful crowd control curses.

Cast your Golem a bit more offensively. Clay has a higher threat rating than the Necro and the Skellies. A monster will focus on Clay.

12. andenno

andenno IncGamers Member

I think I'll go with the strength runeword, because I probably need CB more than bonus to might that honor will grant.

Interesting. I didn't realize the AI cares more about some targets than others.

Guess I'll be paying Baal a visit tonight. Thanks for all the help.