Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where did all the heads go?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Joshebo, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Joshebo

Joshebo IncGamers Member

Where did all the heads go?

Hi all.

I have a 45 summoner that just hit NM that is still using a crude head found in the Blood Moor in Normal. (It gives +1 to SM, RS, and CE). I've found only a few zombie, demon, or crude heads along the way. Is there any way to gamble/buy them or is there a zone that might be more likely to drop the heads too?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Mule 50k to a level one char and shop for them. Easy to find +3 sm or rs wands and heads, mostly non-magical ( ie can have a runeword in it)

3. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

That could have been a good idea, if only heads had been shoppable...

No way of shopping or gambling for heads, unfortunatly. You'll just have to keep looking. Anywhere with lots of enemies should do, cow level is a good example.

4. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Personally, there are two item types I always pick up and ID:
    Necro Heads (+3 Summoning, +3 Clay Golem, +3 Golem Mastery)
    Sorc Orbs (Looking for that awesome +3 Fire Skills, +3 Fire Mastery, +3 Enchant one...)

Yah, it probably won't happen any time soon...but if you don't try, how can you know? You never know when that Unid'd item is going to be the answer to all your Character's needs...

5. Joshebo

Joshebo IncGamers Member

I had forgotten about the cow level.

Thanks for both you answering.

6. Delreich

That one is impossible. CG can't be had on any head with an ilvl higher than 36, and +3 summoning requires something like ilvl 62+.

7. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

I'm currently building a Necromancer and was lucky enough to get a head with +3 RS, and +1 CE, I think when I was around lvl 12. But it's a tough call whether to use this head or a shield that gives good resistances. I normally use the head, but for bosses I tend to switch to my shield. This makes me lose one skelly, but I prefer the safety of a shield. I cast the skeletons with the head so at least my other skellies benefit from the +3.

8. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

I guess Necromancers are still lucky because we can at least buy wands from vendors. Think of those poor Druids who need to find (or trade) any pelt they want to use.

9. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

I've heard stuff like this before. How about the Enchant Orb? That one definitely can spawn, right?

10. Delreich

Yepp. Typically, only tier 1 and 2 (lvl 1 and 6 skills, for most classes) are unavailable.
    There are some tricks to overcome this though, using the cube to alter ilvl (chippy rolls etc).

For all the dirty detail, check the item generation tutorial over in statistics.

11. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

How about a +3 summon, +3 Raise Skele, +3 Skele Mast? That would be one sick head (throws homunc out a window).

12. Delreich

A +2 necro rare Succubus/Bloodlord Skull is possible, by skull-rolling or imbuing down the ilvl low enough.
    No +3 skilltab head with level 1 or level 6 skills though.

13. Joshebo

Joshebo IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone, this thread has been helpful.

One more question: can you get heads with +1-3 to summoning or necro skills?

Thanks.

14. Demon2k3

Demon2k3 IncGamers Member

a good option if you can't find a decent head is to find a low str req 4 sox shield and do a spirit in it.usefull +2 skills and mana. just my 2 cents.

15. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

Yes, the skills that you can get on a head are identical to what you can get on a wand. That means +3 tree or +2 all, as well as +1-3 in up to 3 skills.

If you really want a good head for pre-buffing, do A1 over and over until you get a head that has +3 RS/SM and put the splendor runeword in it, which gives +1 all skills.

The only option better than this is inbue/cube a rare. For this you need a totem that has at least Qlvl 50 (read any elite skull or heirophant trophy). It takes 6 skulls per roll.

Given that the item level will be ~1 eventually this means you have approx 30% chance to get 2 skills on it. Each of these skills will have approx ~10% chance to be +3. For imbues there is only a 30% chance per skill that it will be a tier one skill (i.e. RS or SM). So far this gives us about 0.027% chance of getting +3 RS/SM from an imbue, or 0.3% chance from skull roll.

Then you have to factor in the odds of also getting +2 necro skills or +2 summon skills. I think i just talked myself out of trying to roll one of these bad boys. Splendor here i come!

16. Delreich

Qlvl 50 would get you alvl 25, which is only enough for +1 to tab, so not better at all.
    Qlvl 75 is what you need (2*75-99 = 51), and that means only the two I mentioned.

17. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

I'd simply go back to A3 and rip through the Flayer Jungle (first), and then hit all the other non-dungeon areas. Tons of bodies to kill (quickly and easily) and class-specific items tend to drop more often in A3 (they always have for me, anyway), and practically anything is better than what you have now.

If you're playing singleplayer you might as well set the players to 8 if you decide to do this.

This is kind of OT, but (again) if you're playing SP you should be able to gain another 5 or 6 levels pretty quickly by running Baal (minus Baal if it saves a lot of time) on P8.