Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where are the good areas for rune drops?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by PikeyPriest, Feb 18, 2004.

1. PikeyPriest

PikeyPriest IncGamers Member

Where are the good areas for rune drops?

I have done about 30/40 countess runes (hell) and the highest i have got is Sol, so i am thinking about where else i can go to try to find runes. Are there any monsters/areas (similar to the countess) that have a high probability of rune drop??

[I wasnt too angry over the poor countess drops because she/or a minion dropped a +1 cold skills charm, which i traded for the whole IK set minus the armour]

2. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

A little guide written by Shadow_247 the last time this question (which is asked pretty much every day) was asked. I have made a couple of tiny corrections to the Countess section.

3. freed0m

freed0m IncGamers Member

i did over and over 500 countess run in nm.
    she drops quite a lot of mid lv runes like Sol,Dol,Shael
    sth she drops KO as well.
    the highest rune i got from her is Io.

i got Lem so often from her in hell.
    just keep running there.
    u cannot draw a conclusion by only base on 30-40 runs.

4. PikeyPriest

PikeyPriest IncGamers Member

K, im going to stick at it.

I found Fal and Ko on the last run, so i am feeling more positive that i can find some better runes than amn from the countess :).

5. Tyrrel

Tyrrel IncGamers Member

Statistically speaking, there are NO areas that have a high probability of rune drop.

The Countess is pretty much guaranteed to drop runes, although she does fail to do so occaisionally. However, to illustrate the rarity of rune drops, the highest chance of getting a Jah or Ber to drop come from the Hell council:

Jah: 0.00003728% chance to drop
    Ber: 0.00004348% chance to drop

Obviously, you aren't going to find a whole of these runes, and anyone that doesn't believe that the majority of high level runes are dupes or the offspring of dupes is not examing the stats.

This is not to say that it is not POSSIBLE for a good rune to drop. I've found Ko, Io, and Lum runes running the Pit, which has a high concentration of L85 stuff. However, rune running for the extremely rare ones is not statistically profitable.

My suggestion is to do Council runs, or just MF in very high areas, like the Pit. Since rune drops are so rare, it's best to increase your odds by killing as many things as possbible.

Hephasto running COULD net some results, as he has the best chance to drop a Zod (0.00000651%) and you have to kill a lot of high-level stuff to get there. However, you're going to just hope you're lucky, because that's what it is going to take to get one.

6. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Actually, he doesn't, usually. That belief comes from d2data.net's misleading numbers - misleading, because they don't take into account the no drop chances (i.e., they're the chance that any given item a monster drops will be x, rather than the chance that a monster will drop x).

In a one player game, Hell Baal and Hell Diablo are the most likely to drop a Zod. Hephasto and Nihlathak do overtake them in a big game, though, as their no drop chances are reduced by the number of players (Baal & Diablo have much smaller no drop chances to start with, so they can't be reduced by as much)

Of course, we're talking numbers that are so fantastically tiny and so close together that it's hardly worth worrying about. Killing one more or one less Urdar en route would probably make more difference than whether it was Hephasto or Diablo you were en route to. :)