Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

When you upgrade vipermagi.....

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by ChrisF, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ChrisF

ChrisF IncGamers Member

When you upgrade vipermagi.....

When you upgrade vipermagi what decideds the final def? I just upped mine and its gone up to 805 def, but in the past i have upped them to 1024 def. The ed isnt a variable so I dont see why that would affect it. Does anyone else know why this is?

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: When you upgrade vipermagi.....

The armor's base defense is rerolled, not ED%.

3. ChrisF

ChrisF IncGamers Member

Ok, do they not all have the same base def then? I just assumed they did but obviously I am wrong.

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Everything that has the "Enhanced Defence" modifier will have Maximum Base Defence +1.

The reason why you see SotVM constantly at 279 defence is because it has the "+120% Enhanced Defense" modifier.

Haven't you ever wondered why Serpentskin Armor have a base defence variability of 111-126, yet SotVM always turn out 279 (which is not even possible with 126)? That's because it's actually set default at (126+1)*120%.

However, when you upgrade things, the "Maximum Base Defence +1" is lost. Base defence is re-rolled (Wyrmhides have a variability of 364-470). The 805 is a result of a 366 being rolled, and the 1025 is a result of 465 being rolled.

5. ChrisF

ChrisF IncGamers Member

I knew about the ed taking the def from 111-126 to 279 just not about re-rolling the base def. So does that mean if i hadnt rolled it when i did and waited i could have gotten a different roll?

6. omgwtfbbqpwned

It's a random event (not time based, waiting a bit longer doesn't help). There was a chance for you to score 470 base, there was a chance for you to score 354, and there was a chance you could have scored anything inbetween.

7. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

Not trying to be smart, but it's a psuedo-random event based on a random number generator that blizz put in the program, so strictly speaking it is based on the computer's clock in some way....very esoterically, but in some way. Not saying that there's a way to figure out how this effects armor rerolls...but maybe there is, eh?

8. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

There is no relation between your computer clock and D2's RNG. Unless you count the fact that your entire computer will fail without an internal clock.

9. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

My point was that it is based on A clock, not necessarily mine.

10. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

Aren't their algorithms for the pseudo-random results that are not based on a clock? I'm not saying the one in Diablo isn't based on a clock. Chances are a clock is probably some variable in code, but I don't think there has to be one.

11. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Of course. A programmer I knew said he just poked memory addresses if they had the right range and their contents were sufficiently random for purpose, for instance - no computationally expensive algorithm required. More here, if you're interested.

12. ProfessionalBerg

A system clock-based RNG is probably one of the easiest to make - every millisecond is different, and thanks to the date, no two numbers are ever the same. At least, that's how I see it...

13. MrOzio

MrOzio Banned

Ignore all this clock nonsense.

Ever played bingo? There is a big wire basket on a spit that a person (the caller) rotates. The caller then opens said basket and pulls out a number (lets say its 25 out of a possible 1-100). He can roll that thing all day long but the probability of getting any number is still 1-100 (since the number is then placed back into the basket). Time has no hand in the outcome.

--- Yes, I realize in bingo they do not place the number back in, but the analogy served its purpose I hope.

14. ProfessionalBerg

You can't "roll bingo" in digital world - SOMETHING has to define the randomness of the result, and there are no bingo balls inside the actual computer case, you know :laugh:

Complex algorithms are required to make the possibility of randomness come true. At least, in the digital world. That's why, clock is easy to use as a BASE for the algorithm - during this millisecond, algorithm will produce one number, during another millisecond, the number is completely different.

15. MrOzio

MrOzio Banned

What?! No bingo balls inside my PC?! Blasphemy! =P

I realize what composes random synchs, done many of them when I (and my little group) was making maps for Dungeon Siege. What we did for DS was had a base template, one that wasn't dependant on a time table, it didn't go in order like it seems you're hinting at. Random math is the simplest to make in a vr scenario as you don't have to abide by many (if any) real dependancies.

I've opened up D2 code so many times it'd make your head spin and I have yet to find any "item time table" that determines what drops when. Were this the case it'd be SO easy to make a simple script (down to the millisecond, as you put it) to launch the "final blow" on a boss or other mob.
    (if you'd like me to go into detail with this one feel free to PM me, the mods dont like it when I "talk shop" in the forums when details are used)

16. ProfessionalBerg

Okay, what I meant was NOT that time dictates directly what drops when. What I meant was that time is possibly one of the factors of the Random Number Generator - not neccessarliy the only one.

17. MrOzio

MrOzio Banned

Ok, well so far what I was gathering from every post prior to mine was that there is some magnificent clock overlord that delagates drops based on the ticks and tocks of his enormous melovolent and at times generous arms.

You can see where my confusion stemmed seeing "time this" and "clock that" in this entire thread.

Cheers! =D

18. omgwtfbbqpwned

I know how to code Turing.

19. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

My god there is alot of nerds in here.. :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  20. MrOzio

MrOzio Banned

How is that comment even remotely helpful?