Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

When would a dupe poof?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by greatrambino1981, Apr 14, 2005.

1. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

When would a dupe poof?

I just made an Enigma(on Sunday) using a self found Ber and a traded Jah. I have no way of knowing if the Jah is a dupe or not, so every time I play I cross my fingers hoping I didn't waste the Ber. So my question is: If the Jah is a dupe what is a reasonable amount of time to be concerned about it disappearing? (rust storm aside)

Thanks for any input, and I hope this isn't "against the rules."

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

once the jah is in the armor the only thing that you should worry about now is a ruststorm....there have been no blizzard ruststorms this ladder season

3. RebirthOfMak

RebirthOfMak IncGamers Member

Pretty much your safe :D

4. greatrambino1981

cool thanks. I thought I heard of runes disapearing even after socketed, maybe i misread? Now watch and rust storm tonight!! (knock on wood)

5. Skips

Skips IncGamers Member

Usually the only way a dupe is "poofed" is if you leave the game and someone else has the same duped item and are still in the game, the safest way to ensure you keep the possible dupe is to either leave the game last, or trade with someone just as you quit.

6. PoorCobbler

PoorCobbler IncGamers Member

hmm .... whats a rust storm?? :confused:

7. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

I could be wrong, but I also heard that the dupe checker checks runes/socketed items for dupes and if it finds one, it deletes the rune, leaving the item as an Ith, which gets deleted also.

8. greatrambino1981

Why would it delete the legit runes also? Is it because they would take up the 2nd and 3rd slot in the armor, thus creating an impossibility?

9. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Remember "Ith" items in .09? They were basically runewords where the runes somehow were taken out, but the stats remained in the item, then other useful things were stuck in, i.e. 40/15IAS jewels, making godly items.

So, "Ith" items, which the Enigma would become if the Jah disappeared would be found and deleted, since the stats would remain on the enigma even after the Jah got deleted.

Like I said, this is just what I heard.

10. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

I have a Ladder Ber and Jah. I cubed the Ber from two Sur runes and the Jah from two other Ber runes. Maybe I have "legit" runes now??? I had traded for the runes out in the b.net channels. If each rune has a unique ID number then a 'cubed' rune should get a new number; otherwise it would have a rather long number if it combined the ID numbers from the pre-cubes runes.

11. greatrambino1981

Sorry I dont remember "Ith" items. I'm sure I played in the days of 1.09, but stayed to myself and didn't read forums or anything. My Ber should stay too if the Jah poofs as I found it myself.

I was also wondering about the ruststorm thing also. If an item is duped wouldn't it have a legit (seeming) ID tag? How does the ruststrom tell the difference?
    I am NOT asking how to do it, just curious.

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Cubed dupes can still poof just as easily as any other dupe.

13. ChthonVII

ChthonVII IncGamers Member

1) Although there were reports of runes poofing out of runewords in the first rust storm, I don't believe any of them were confirmed. To the best of my knowledge there have been no reports from reliable sources of this ever happening at all.

2) Even if they do poof during a rust storm, the odds of bliz doing another one are quite low -- they just don't care enough about D2, especially non-ladder.

3) Cubed runes get new ID's, so they are undetectable. The only way they could be detected, even theoretically, would be to calculate the new ID based off the ID's of the original runes, which would only catch cubed runes made from the exact same set of dupes.

14. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Aye. I wouldn't worry about cubed runes, as they get new ID numbers.

If your Jah disappeared, b.net would delete your armor along with your Ber because it was an "Ith" item, but it sounds like you really don't have to worry about that happening from what others have said.

15. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

I belive a rust storm is when B.net goes and destroys all duped runes hacks ect... I think we have had only one this ladder due to the large collection of high runes lost about 2 months ago... It angers me so...

16. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Angers you because blizzard doesn't do it often enough, or angers you because you lost wealth when it happened?

I think we'd all be happier if Blizz could beat the dupe tricks so we wouldn't have to worry about this crap.

17. The_Duffman

The_Duffman Banned

Considering 99.999999% of runes on non ladder are dupes, and many high end runewords don't tend to dissapear, I am willing to bet that once a runeword is socketed, it will not poof.

18. Mister-Hat

Mister-Hat IncGamers Member

Speaking of things going poof.... I just noticed that my zookeeper could only summon 14 skellys instead of the normal 15 so I was a bit puzzled at first. Then I noticed he was missing one of his SOJs so I guess it went poof. I am not quite sure when this "poof" happened but it seems the dupe checkers Blizz runs can get SOJs too. I have only found 1 SOJ and the one that went poof was one that I had traded for.

19. ChthonVII

ChthonVII IncGamers Member

1.09 & 1.10 SOJ's both have ID#'s and therefore can poof just like any other duped unique or set. The reason soj's are considered poof-proof is that there's hundreds of thousands, if not millions of sojs from 1.08 & earlier out there on non-ladder.

20. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

towards the begining of this ladder season Jah and ber disappeared from my brothers enigma, i saw it. It still remainded enigma with all the stats but the next day the armor was gone as well.