When to "elite" a unique?

Sunjeet

Diabloii.Net Member
When to "elite" a unique?

I have a lvl 50+ MF Meteorb. I considered socketing my Peasant Crown and putting in a P-Topaz. I figured, if I did that, why not elite it? I'd more than double the def of it. However, is it worth it? If not, when would "elite-ing" a unique ever a good idea? I know a unique shako would be better, but who knows when I'll find that...

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
It's probably not worth it, I think what you should have done is use that Topaz on a Tarnhelm. Weapons are the most upgraded, armors on the other hand doesn't happen very often because it could raise the strength requirement too high or the defense increase won't make a big enough difference.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Sunjeet said:
I have a lvl 50+ MF Meteorb. I considered socketing my Peasant Crown and putting in a P-Topaz. I figured, if I did that, why not elite it? I'd more than double the def of it. However, is it worth it? If not, when would "elite-ing" a unique ever a good idea? I know a unique shako would be better, but who knows when I'll find that...
Apart from higher block chance on shields, upgrading items is pretty worthless for a sorc. The higher def does not play that high impact.

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm for armors : upgrading a goldwrap to exceptional status on my mf bone/summon necro gives me more slots hehe. Also maybe OT but for pally shields upgrading them from normal/exceptional rares to elite rares makes them awesome for more smite damage and justifies their increased str/lvl requirements :D For example i found a really awesome rare arakan targe with 2 socks, upgraded them to sacred targe and sold it for a nice price to a smiter who is bored with upped HOZ i guess hehe. I've been eyeing a perfect ed butcher's pupil cleaver and planning to upgrade it to a small cresecent on a future zealot i' making but so far 194ed is the best hehe. Would be cool to use a weapon from nm to hell and one that 'grows' with your char :D Hmm ya i guess if you upgrade an ethereal hone sundan yari then your merc would vote you employer of the year lol

mathil

Diabloii.Net Member
peasant crown shouldn't be upgraded. for the price of upgrading you can practically get a shako.

i upgrade rare weapons just to see what they become. found a rare polearm of some sort that has 438 ed and now has 800+ dmg.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
The only time I've upgraded armour on a sorc is for normal belts, namely Goldwrap and Nightsmoke. I suppose Skin of the Vipermagi might be worth an upgrade...

olimikrig

Diabloii.Net Member
Only thing I ever upgrade is vipers. Str req only hightens to 84, and you can get lucky and end up with a 1xxx def viper :D .