Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

When to do NM Ancients Quest??

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Sunjeet, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

When to do NM Ancients Quest??

I have a level 64 MF Meteorb Sorc. I could probably get a few more levels out of Bloody Foothill runs w/ 8 players, but now that the Ancients quest was lowered to 1 level and can potentially be worth a lot, when should I do it? I can't really progress in the game since I don't rush until then, so please someone tell me if its best to do it at a certain point, or if it doesn't matter.

2. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

The experience bonus you get for Ancients is not affected by any usual experience modifiers (ppl, lvl difference, lvl penalties, etc.), so you should wait for it as long as possible. Another fact is that the reward is limited to 1 level, so you at least should wait until the exp required to next level is more than 20M on NM (lvl 67) or 40M on Hell (lvl 75) to make sure you get the full bonus.
    This is theory.
    The reality is that baalruns give much more exp, than you can get in the areas before The Arreat Summit. If you don't get much exp - go, kill the Ancients and start baalrunning. You'll probably lose some immediate experience, but later you'll level much faster.
    My suggestion is - If you're not too far from next level, get it and go to baalruns.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The Ancients give you one level or a fixed amount of XP (I don't know the number right now), whichever is less, so from a certain point on, it won't be enough to get a level. In any case, saving the normal and nightmare Ancients rewards is not worth it because leveling is so easy at that point.

In theory, nightmare Baal runs pays off from L25 on, so do them (with your merc being alive) until your merc is L75, so he can wear Reaper's Toll, drastically increasing his survival chances in hell mode. Sorcs benefit a lot from mercs.

4. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

I disagree with the previous posters. If you're planning on taking your character over level 90, the ancients bonus would better served you when leveling becomes much harder. Since you're already 64, you could get a baal for quest game to take you to hell, and save the 20 million exp until later. Granted, hell is hard at level 64, but it's doable. I normally take my chars to hell around level 70. Maybe you could do a few cow runs to catch up, or just move slowly in hell.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Hell mode is hard for a L64 sorc and I'm not sure if her merc can deal with the dual immunes. I guess you will save more time if you can do nightmare Baal minion runs (which you can't if you haven't defeated the Ancients) until L75 (so your merc can wear Reaper's) instead of gaining those 20M at L90+.

BTW, for purists it's cheating to get a player character past the Ancients by exploiting the anti-rushing loophole. I consider myself a semi-purist, i.e. most of my characters do all quests solo and in the correct order and get all WPs (except for the Nilathak WP) while I also have a Hellforge dummy in the game on computer #2.

6. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

If you are getting completely rushed to Hell baalruns, you may think about leaving NM Ancs for the time it's really needed.
    But if you're playing yourself, digging through monsters on Hell with a lvl 64 sorc will take much more time, than it may potentially save for the Ancients quest in the 90-s.
    And honestly, I don't really see a reason to get your chatacter over 90-92 levels. If you play him a lot and get such a high level while, for instance, doing solo baalruns, it's OK.
    But specifically waste days of levelling to get extra 2-3 skillpoints and 10-15 statpoints? Builds are usually considered "complete" at late 70's - mid 80's. After 85 the only thing you usually do is putting some more points into last important skills, which you don't benefit much from. Simply because you don't have anithing more to spend them on, not because you really need them.