Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

When does my Avenger avenge?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by DrSeuss, Jan 29, 2004.

1. DrSeuss

DrSeuss IncGamers Member

When does my Avenger avenge?

So, my last character was pure, classic Zealot. 20 Fanatacism, 20 HS, I think 20 Zeal (haven't looked in a while). He met with a freak corpse accident, and I haven't played him in a while.

So, I decided I wanted to try an Avenger. I've got him up to lvl 33, but still in Normal (I don't anticipate many Baal problems when the time comes). I've got 2 pts each in all the resists, 1 pt each in all the pre-reqs, 3 pts in conviction and 2, I believe in Vengance.

The problem is that a 2 pt Zeal (Sigons Guard) with Conviction is still generally more effective than a 3 pt Vengance, and isn't running me out of mana. Vengance, on the other hand, does, even with 8% ML, including a Manald Heal.

So...do I need to wait until I get a larger weapon, so that I can get more mana to leech per hit? Do I need more mana leech? And, in the meantime, should I just keep putting pts into Convcition without regard, or should I be using this time to beef up my resistances?

My current weapon is a rare barbed club, doing 13-30 with some IAS. Not great, but, hey, this is normal we're talking. You can only twink down so much to a lower-level character...

2. Black_Hunter

Black_Hunter IncGamers Member

I have the same problem,i can't really give you any tips since im still in the ''zeal is stronger'' phase.

However,i have a lvl 84 ''Halciet barb'' ;) or a concentration barb and he is really strong in hell. Aveanger and Concentration barb are the same kind of character they have a lot in common.

I think you will have to wait until you reach lvl 50+ to really enjoy vengeance.Once you have like +500% dmg (total) or more with a good lvl conviction you will start doing some serious dmg.

Also,are you using meditation or redemption ? that could help you a lot.

Personally i dont and i wont but i know i will have to take a mana pot every 5 sec...id rather spend my point somewherelse but thats just me.

3. DrSeuss

DrSeuss IncGamers Member

I've got a concentrate barb as well - the success of that is what made me realize that I didn't necessarily need fanatacism to have a fun hand-to-hand pally. That, and the Avenger is more team-friendly.

I've got a point in redemption, which rarely gets used for mana recovery, but is essential for corpse removal. I anticipate it being very handy in the tombs of a2, where it seems every third monster revives another monster.

And, yeah, screw you necros. Your damn skeletons and revives keep getting in my way, anyway, and slowing my screen down...

4. Raetsel

Raetsel IncGamers Member

I say wait for better weapon that has more phys dmg which will give you more leech.

5. MeBrutox

MeBrutox IncGamers Member

I had the same problem with my avenger until I found a bonesnap..socketed with a perfect skull that was enough for me to not have to worry about mana, and when I upgraded it to exceptional...I was loving it, and it lasted up till Hell, when I used an elite buther's pupil and a shield.

6. Black_Hunter

Black_Hunter IncGamers Member

So,your not using anything else beside potions to recover mana ? Are you doing good or its a pain in the *** and you have to take a pot every 2 sec ?

And while the barb is a bit less party friendly than the pal,Battle Order/Shout/Battle Cry are still really usefull in a party :)

7. DrSeuss

DrSeuss IncGamers Member

Well, 8% ml is good enough for Zeal, especially with a Manald Heal ring. So I'm not using potions for that.

It's also generally good enough against *1* monster, with use of potions - it just falls down in a big crowd. I'm not against the concept of using redemption to get mana back, but you need breathing room for that to work.

I'll be continuing to put a few pts into conviction, and then perhaps a few more pts into the resists, for the passive vengence improvements.

And, yeah, a barb with howl, bo and bc is definitely party friendly. My "party friendly" comment referred to a Zealot - Conviction is definitely more helpful in general than Fanatacism to groups.

8. weirdbeard

weirdbeard IncGamers Member

IMO, you should just snag some more mana leech/ add more physical damage so you leech more from what you have. since you're so low clvl, maybe track down a silks of the victor till you can get something more substantial. a point in redemption is really handy, actually. not for during battles, but towards the end, you can eas up off the potions secure that a few seconds standing there with redemption and your red and blue bulbs will be totally full.
    as for other points, I'd keep putting points into conviction and vengeance even if you're not going to be using vengeance anytime soon, as well as keeping your block at 75%. that way, once you're able to keep up with the mana drain, you can immediately start putting points into the individual resist auras to boost the damage of your vengeance. As i understand it, they give the same bonus to vengeance in 3 pts that salvation does in 5.

9. Kiernan

Kiernan IncGamers Member

I'm in a similar position....i'm using this guide from the strategy compendium.