Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

When does 'How many' become 'Too many'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PublicEnemy, Mar 6, 2004.

1. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

When does 'How many' become 'Too many'?

More than 6 billion people are living on Earth (6,41 billion);5 billion were reached in 1987;ONLY 13 years later,world population reached 6 billion people

How many people can Earth shelter and feed? The great majority of the world is not well fed;does that mean Earth has reached or overcome its capacities to feed us?Or is it a problem of sharing food or improving productivity? I believe in all of these reasons alltogether;capitalism is the main responsible for this situation..you can deny it
    6 billion people are more people than Earth can handle,and taking into account the needs of the average american fellow,the natural resources of our planet wouldn't last a few decades,if not a few years
    If the governments alltogether don't want to deal with the increase of world population,then i foresee the worst is yet to come;potential wars,genocides,huge famines,etc..all the more as i don't see the end of capitalism for the few decades to come
    I see the world as a blind who walks towards death
    Is self destruction our fate?

2. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Its a law of nature bound to happen.

What happens with over population with wildlife?

Over eating of food, as a result lack of food, as a result famine, as a result disease, as a result fights for food, as a result nature controlling over population.

In terms of humans... Africa dies? (Pick any continent really, but one must admint Africa is the closest.) Others move in and take over the untapped resources of slaughtering off zebra and lion or whatever else, as we did buffalo in America.
    The ones moving to Africa give their vanquished home lands time to replenish resources, Africa is tapped and returns to its current state of being improvished and everyone goes back to where they came from.
    Africa gets renewed whilst the homelands are desimated again.

There is your cycle.

*Edit- also is called exponential growth, and better medical care (so the death to birth ratio is less than 1)

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Won't happen. . .

We need to get some countries to realize that sand is sand and in a hundred years will still be sand most likely. Not much grows in sand and even less that is edible. We need to get the people out of the areas that canno't support them. That or we need to stop supporting them. I know that sounds inhumane, but if the world gets too over-populated they will be the first to go. I am also pretty sure that if the world population grew too much most governments would put childbirth laws in place.

In short we should send people to Mars.

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Given that at it's current rate, much Africa will be dead of AIDS, I don't think we have much of a problem. The US has only a fraction of the landmass of the planet and produces so much food it's amazing. Apply that to just 1/3 of Africa and you can feed everybody without a problem.

The real problem is getting the food to people. The answer. Screw it, let's colonize Mars.

5. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

I made an illlustration of a probable population development... Clicky. The breaking point is the maximum sustainable population. The population will probably rise above that number and then plummet down to a number slightly lower than the breaking point, and stabilize there. At least according to my biology teacher.

6. PublicEnemy

The real issue is not the maximum sustainable population;world population takes more from Earth than it can regenerate;natural resources are running out,and that's the main problem of mankind;and no more natural resources=death

7. th5418

th5418 Banned

We can afford to feed everyone in the world. Its that we chose not to.

8. PublicEnemy

The majority of world population is located in Asia;the decrease of population in Africa won't solve the issue,since more than half of the world lives in Asia

America can feed Africa (maybe the world?) but will never do it for free

9. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You grow food in Africa, sell it to Asia, pocket the money in the US & Canada.

Problem solved.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I am already working on the Mars spaceship I have pieced it together mostly from used sugar packets and old hair from my barber, but I think it will hold. Anyone who wants to join up can (Sans trolls and Troll kings[seph]). Hurry though the limit is 100 people!

Oh yes we will have to build nukes in old vacuum cleaners to terraform it though. I suggest we go with Homer Simpson's head.

11. PublicEnemy

It is rather hard to grow food in Africa, especially in deserts

12. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I'm not sure why it's assumed that there is an upper limit to the Earth's capability to sustain our growth. There are ALWAYS ways to make more, they're not called renewable resources for nothin'. The US, as previously mentioned, produces enough food to feed a hell of a lot more than our 300 million people, and does it on about 4% of its land.

When we hit the limit of how many people can be fed off the land, probably around 30 billion, some clever guy will come along and move farming away from agriculture and towards hydroponics. This will allow farms to move into buildings and expand upwards rather than outwards, providing near-infinite amounts of food.

What else do you need? Water can be synthesized, shelter can take many forms, it doesn't have to be brick and timber, although it can continue to be for many generations to come.

I'd say more likely, the upper limits of human population will be decided by our ability to tolerate less and less personal living space. By the time we reach that point, some clever guy will finally come seriously to the conclusion that the universe is a pretty damn big place.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

But will that guy or any other guy figure out how to get around that big damn universe?

14. Rhaegar

Rhaegar IncGamers Member

I have one word for you: Equilibrium

15. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Somebody will. Human population itself is a resource, man. Where do you think all this stuff we have came from?

16. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

:scratch: we're all going to learn to use trigonometry to cut people's faces off? Yeah I guess that would solve a problem or, maybe two. Er -- wait ... no, no, that problem won't be solved that way ... so it can only solve one.

17. Tridge

Tridge IncGamers Member

how about.. we wage pointless wars on all but defenseless peoples?
    oh wait..

18. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Before we colonize Mars, I say we set up "colonies" in death valley. It'd be cheaper--and easier.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I say we turn the population of Quebec into a power source and use them for batteries a la the Matrix.

20. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Eventually, equilibrium will be reached...
    And yea...India has 1 billion people by itself...