when a char on the ladder expires...

Big Boss

Diabloii.Net Member
when a char on the ladder expires...

just now i was trying to snag a name from someone on the ladder, seeing as how there should be a lot of inactive/expired chars on the realm since no one really plays anymore. i know for sure that Dzwolf is long gone (a lvl 98 pally), last time i saw him he was botting...months ago. i made a necro with the same name, double checked to make sure i spelled it right...yup...right clicked on my lvl 1 char, clicked on ladder and there i was, a lvl 98 paladin still on the ladder. i've never heard of anything like this before, so for anyone else who finds it amusing, heres a screenshot:

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot073lf9.jpg

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
just now i was trying to snag a name from someone on the ladder, seeing as how there should be a lot of inactive/expired chars on the realm since no one really plays anymore. i know for sure that Dzwolf is long gone (a lvl 98 pally), last time i saw him he was botting...months ago. i made a necro with the same name, double checked to make sure i spelled it right...yup...right clicked on my lvl 1 char, clicked on ladder and there i was, a lvl 98 paladin still on the ladder. i've never heard of anything like this before, so for anyone else who finds it amusing, heres a screenshot:

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot073lf9.jpg
I did the same thing and I'm my lvl 1 sorc is currently #13 on the sorc's ladder lol

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
The ranking ladder is most probably not linked to the characters it contains, so if a character ceases to exist, the entry in the ranking ladder stays.

Big Boss

Diabloii.Net Member
The ranking ladder is most probably not linked to the characters it contains, so if a character ceases to exist, the entry in the ranking ladder stays.
im guessing it is removed when the original char is deleted, or the account expires. i used to play with Dzwolf, but i can't quite remember his account name to test if its expired or not.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Hmm, you mean, as soon as a character expires, its name is free to be claimed by others and even though there is still an expired character with the same name, it won't cause problems because the expired one doesn't exist anymore in the character database, just a mention in the account database. That makes sense.

It can be checked quite easily. You probably have a few expired characters yourself, so try to make a new one with the same name as a deleted one.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
How would the database respond to this then:

Someone in the rankings stops playing, his character gets deleted after a while, but his name stays in the rank.

Now imagine someone else taking that name, and being able to get into the ladder, how does the ladder list react when they're two names on different positions?

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member

Someone in the rankings stops playing, his character gets deleted after a while, but his name stays in the rank.

Now imagine someone else taking that name, and being able to get into the ladder, how does the ladder list react when they're two names on different positions?
My guess is that the name would then get kicked down to a lower place in the ladder.

One mistake I once noticed was with my sorc. I was on the ladder and died. Then I noticed I got a lower place in the sorc ladder. But the overall ladder always showed me with the exp I had prior to dying. truly weird.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

I see no reason why the database table which olds the ranking should have a constraint which demands that character names have to be unique. That would be no benefit, but additional efforts to implement it, being something a programmer will never do. Therefore I think the character name will simply appear twice.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Wouldn't the /whois command tell you whether the char is still there or not? Well, before you create your own char with that name anyway.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Wouldn't the /whois command tell you whether the char is still there or not? Well, before you create your own char with that name anyway.
That only works if the character is online, unfortunately.

Anyway, what's happening here is that the original Dzwolf has expired, and is currently sitting on the account that he expired on - the "character expired" note is in red under him. However, once a character expires like this, his name is now up for use again, so you were able to create your necro.

The original, on the other hand, still exists. It's still on ladder, it's still got experience, and all of that. So it's listed on the rankings, and will be until the account expires, deleting all the characters on it.