Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whats your take on 1.13?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by gedda-d-e, Aug 4, 2010.

1. gedda-d-e

gedda-d-e IncGamers Member

Whats your take on 1.13?

Hey guys,
    Been playing a bit the past few weeks, trying to actually finish old started projects (wolf, poisonmancer & ofcourse a load of paladins...) but when I last was lurking around the SPF before this summer most people were holding off on upgrading to the new patch, just checking in to see what you guys eventually decided on? And if you upgraded, whats your take on it?

Looks like the rune drops are out of this world, but being a vanilla player that really isn't an issue for me :)
    Judging by the trade forum and most pat/mat/guardian threads all the "locals" have upgraded, even seen some restarts - strong! So I take it ATMA/Gomule, runcounters etc still work?

Thanks all, it's good to be back!

/g

2. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Re: Whats your take on 1.13?

My thoughts on 1.13 - the best patch ever.
    It changes the 2 mistakes that were there for years and that make me quit a few years ago (respec option and rune drop ratio).
    It was plain wrong that I had almost full grail in 1.10, I had 4x99 clvl chars from 1.09, plenty of chars above clvl90, I had found 7 Grandfathers, 3 Windforces and items like Tal armor I wasn't even picking up from the ground and my best self-found rune was Ohm. At the same time online people had Ber rune as a common trade item.
    It was also very wrong that people were playing until clvl30 with 1-2 skill points spent, and then started to invest in their main skill. Now you can level until clvl50 or 60 and not save skill points, then you respec with your main build when you feel like it.
    I also did not notice any major bugs with 1.13.

By the way it looks that many people are back like me, half of the posts in this forum are "I'm back after 4 years....", so it looks Blizzard are trying to get attention back to Diablo 2, for me it is a sign Diablo 3 is coming.

3. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Rune drops have increased to the point where I'm planning on what to do with my next Ber... where as in 1.12 I was dreaming about what I would do if I ever got a Lo. The value seems to have shifted up by about 4 runes... maybe 5. Of course everyone's perception will be based on their luck in the short term.

The few bugs that were fixed were great (Fangskin dropping again)... the ones that remain should have been fixed too (poison lizards in Nilithak's temple... grrr). I guess we can't expect too much there.

The balance changes are interesting and all pretty good in my book. CS is now a runnable area due to removing IM from the list. I pretty much ignored it in 1.12 as being the realm of characters specifically designed for that area, and I really don't like to do that. The skill tweeks all seem to be reasonable and haven't changed the game all that much.

GoMule and RWM certainly work.... dunno about runcounters (never used them). welcome back.

4. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I haven't played it yet (still in 1.09), but I will tell you why I'm MUCH more excited to play 1.13 when I was dreading 1.12.

- NO IM!!!! That was the most unfair attack in the game, it made me hate CS and I was dreading having to deal with that in WSK too.
    - FE bug was apparently fixed.
    - All those fancy runewords that you need for the new steriod-ridden monsters in 1.10+ are FINALLY possible to make!
    - Orange runes FTW!

Overall, while it was not a complete overhaul, 1.13 nerfed some of the most irritating aspects of the game, buffed some synergies to make some new builds viable, and made those endgame runewords finally acheivable in SP. All in all, I would say it made the game significantly more polished.

5. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I like the newest patch. I would have been a bit happier if IM was toned down, not removed, but this is better than leaving it as as.

The respecs are great. I've been leveling a zeal barb, and it's been great not having to worry about only spending as much in str/dex as I'm going to need. It's nice to be able to just play the game and worry about optimizing stats once I've actually played the character with end game gear.

Obviously the new rune drop rates are awesome. Nuff said.

I'm sure the runcounters work since they simply watch the save files and count a run when the file changes. Though, I don't know if they use an md5 sum or some other hashing function. If they do, then as long as there are character files, the runcounters will work.

6. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

Welcome back, your avatar never cease to disturb me.

7. Machete

Machete IncGamers Member

This. (Although I can see the perspective of how runes were so rare before they were like mythical objects and they may in time sort of lose their allure a bit.. Actually nah, its awesome hehe)

Regarding respecs, well I'm a bit of an elitist lol and not really a fan of it. I think it makes it too easy to instantly perfect a character on the first try. Imo alot of the challenge and excitement of making a character is planning out how you are going to assign ur skills/stats, the "struggle" to get it in harmony with ur gear and the elation when it all comes together, and of course you are not going to get it 100% right... however now anybody can assign willy nilly and everything will work out ok. I mean we went the first 9 odd years without it alright... (and was obviously brought in blizzard just to test it out for D3, not like it was really needed). I also don't really like the idea of only needing 1 character from each class and you basically have it all made, you can try out any build on a whim (makes characters seem less quirky/individual etc according to build and more like faceless shapeshifters)

Hmm, that unintentionally got a bit into rant territory, anyhow that's just my opinion (and of course no-one is forcing me to use them). Other aspects of the patch (IM, FE bug, orange runes) are definitely pluses in my book.

Welcome back!

8. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

The respec arguement is really touchy. I've used them. I've not used them to redo an entire character, but only to redo a skill or two that I found I didn't use as much as I thought I might. In 1.12 I would have simply continued to play with the points sitting idle. So respecing has changed my play. I don't do it often enough for me to feel it's cheezy though. I can see how some people would use respec to change an entire build around for "testing". I don't see myself doing that. If I want to test a build I'd play the build from the ground up.

9. skipjack

skipjack IncGamers Member

-Increased rune drops.
    -Orange runes.
    -IM removal.
    -Token respec.

Dislikes:
    -Akara respec.

Overall, the patch improved just about everything, although I feel that respecs, while a nice feature, are currently way too convenient. I think I would prefer it if tokens were the only respec method available. Do people actually need to redistribute their stats and skills three times before the end of Hell?

10. xXGaianXx

xXGaianXx IncGamers Member

I have to agree. Doing the first quest in the game and getting a free respec from it is kinda.. overpowered. I'd rather one of the later quests for example killing the Ancients to give a respec. But the token respec from the essences is nice.

Overall though I feel 1.13 did do a lot of good to the game.

11. gedda-d-e

Thanks for all the replies guys! It's good to be back, although I was always lurking about!

All in all, I think I will upgrade tonight... Orange runes does sound like a good idea and there are still some Vanilla runewords I want to get before I quit (again... :) ).
    I have mixed feelings about the respec as well but as Shagsbeard already mentioned, there is no need over use it anyway, being a vanilla player I know all about the temptations of the game - you don't have to get sucked in to all of them!
    Again, thanks for all the replies!

/g

You're welcome :wave:

**update**
    1.13c installed, off we go!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

What is token respec?

13. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

In Hell the act bosses can drop 4 different kind of essences (Andariel and Duriel drop the same one I believe). These can be cubed to the token of absolution which can be used for a respec.

I like 1.13. Not too much has changed besides the removal of IM, which is a good thing IMO. I was skeptical about respecs at first but in the end it doesn't change all that much. It gives odd-ball builds a new purpose so you don't have to level a cookie cutter for the gazillionth time and provides a fix for a failed experiment. Less work and more playing, is what it really results in.

14. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Great sell-out to noobs and casuals TT

15. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I still think the tokens would have been better given to minor superuniques that most people skip rather than the main ones. Even better to make them only available from those baddies in NM. *evil laugh*

It's not just the rune drop increase for high high end runes that's good, but the boost to the mid-range runes makes the game more tasty too. I've be working on my single tree project again, in 1.12, and the number of Els that drop in hell is disheartening after a few months of 1.13.

16. wielanja

wielanja IncGamers Member

I really like what Blizzard did with 1.13. In my dream world however I would have IM nerfed not removed, respecs harder to obtain, and not as significant of an increase in rune drops. All in all a good improvement over 1.12 imo.

17. gedda-d-e

While I have your attention anyways, what do you guys use to run Trav with? Is there a good thread on 1.13 rune hunting around? I am thinking my zealot for Trav or my fishyzon for cows, but then it hit me that all you high end rune hunters might be horking your runes?

/g

**update**
    found this; http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752554&highlight=Rune+1.13

**update2**
    pwned, thanks stephan!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  18. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

19. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I was rather fed up with the game when I took a long break (that I am still on) but now I may be closer to moving some of my old characters forward again. I´ve read up on the changes, and here are my opinions about them:

Positive:
    * Fangskin drops loot. For a 'single pass' player, it´s certainly nice to get another shot at something good. The bug was ridiculous. I can´t understand how they managed to screw it up in the first place...
    * Longer time you keep the assassin MA charges. Almost double the time. Yay, this is HUGE for me! Makes for less stressful fighting, for sure.
    * Fixed Leap/Charge bugs.
    * Blessed Hammer does not ignore Magic resist from demons/undead. Great, much better balanced skill, then.
    * Tiny Blaze/FW synergy. The synergies with Warmth makes less sense, though, as these are really low-cost spells (especially Blaze).
    * Boosted Immolation Arrow. Always good when oddball skills get a decent boost.
    * No negative Blood Golem effect. Good, BG can now be used in HC outside Normal...
    * More rune drops. That sounds great! Do you have any numbers on how the probabilities have changed. If I do a single pass full clear of the game, do you have any idea how many (roughly) more of some different types (ranges) of runes I can expect on average?

Don´t know (or don´t affect me):
    * Respecs. I won´t use them, since I *love* the early game struggle, and the whole 'plan ahead' thing. OK, I may use it if I ever happen to misclick a point.
    * Barbarian and Druid skill boosts, assassin other skills boost. Boosted Poison Nova.
    * Boosted Hydra. The skill was already "dumbed down" when they added the timer in D2X. It worked in Classic, where you could cast unlimited numbers, but you couldn´t buy mana potions. I haven´t been interested in it since.
    * Orange rune colour text. I pick up and sell so much, so I rarely missed any rune drops before. It was always the sound of the rune drop that told me to look closer at which one it was that dropped.

Negative:
    * Removed IM. Dammit, I liked that change of pace! No longer can I have any bragging rights for not ever getting killed by it. :badteeth:
    (If anything, they should have reduced the damage so you could survive one hit, or done like with Blood Mana, that you can only go down to 40 life from it.)
    * Boosted CE damage. As if that was needed...

So it looks like the positives outweigh the negatives for me. Cool.
    (and my Impalazon will appreciate having no fear of IM...)

20. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Am I crazy or did they get rid of Choking Gas Potions and Exploding Potions?

Also is the Sorc's inferno bug never going to be fixed?