What's your source of Mana with PvP Whirlwind ?

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
What's your source of Mana with PvP Whirlwind ?

Hi !

I'm currently planning to build a cookie-cutter PvP WW Barbarian, using Grief+Stormshield.

I have a problem with Mana Leech, and I don't know what item slot I can use for that. I've been thinking about the rings, but I'd like to use Raven+Dwarf or Raven+Wisp, so I'm a bit confused :scratch:...

So, what's your source of Mana when constantly whirlwinding in PvP ?

Ce Olba

Banned
Hi !

I'm currently planning to build a cookie-cutter PvP WW Barbarian, using Grief+Stormshield.

I have a problem with Mana Leech, and I don't know what item slot I can use for that. I've been thinking about the rings, but I'd like to use Raven+Dwarf or Raven+Wisp, so I'm a bit confused :scratch:...

So, what's your source of Mana when constantly whirlwinding in PvP ?
Mana potions, mana potions. There's nothing else. You will have ~500 mana with dual Ravens, and with 16* blue ones, you have quite a nice stash of mana as long as you use them wisely.

dmngd

Diabloii.Net Member
On east nl I use 4 bmanas, i get ~1k mana with angelics. xD

Edit: bmana is a 15life/70mana small charm.

Rabbitz

Diabloii.Net Member
mana pots are still considered gm :)

BTW: Is youre smiter done? When will you actually dool!?

Ce Olba

Banned
Get ~4 20/17s then and 80+ mana fcr rings.
Unlike most, it would seem the Frosty is making a BvA or a BvB and not a BvC, so the fcr rings are not a viable option.

As for the 20/17s, those either. It's Ladder.

Frosty, the only real ways are either having life/mana scs and mana potions. Leech is not effective enough, nor is mana regen. However, the damage taken goes to mana helps a lot in melee duels.

Summerfun

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a BvA to, when i need to teleport alot, catching casters and so
i put on 2 fcr rings with 18 str 86 mana and other mods.

with bo i get about 79x mana that way, and for me thats enough when i allso
choke down some mana pots.

Ce Olba

Banned
ARGH!!!

Why are you guys thinking that he is talking about a BvC
? He clearly mentioned "Grief+Stormshield" in the first post, which means that either it's a BvA or a BvB. Which means no fcr rings most of the time. Which again means that your advices are busted. And not everyone has access to 20/17s on Ladder. Not that there would be an infinite source of those anyways.

Dahmer

Diabloii.Net Member
ml in pvp is pretty useless so if you dont want to use mana potions (i agree with you there) only option is to get items that add mana (eg raven) and dmg to mana (eg fortitude)

best options i would say for useful items with dmg to mana mod are these :
fortitude/enigma -> 12 or 15% dmg taken goes to mana
angelic amu -> 20% dmg taken goes to mana
jewels -> 7-12% dmg taken goes to mana (this is a prefix so if you want ed and dmg to mana it'll have to be a rare jewel)

so with all these you could end up with a total of 56 or 59% dmg to mana (2 jewels) which will help you a lot in melee duels

Ce Olba

Banned
ml in pvp is pretty useless so if you dont want to use mana potions (i agree with you there) only option is to get items that add mana (eg raven) and dmg to mana (eg fortitude)

best options i would say for useful items with dmg to mana mod are these :
fortitude/enigma -> 12 or 15% dmg taken goes to mana
angelic amu -> 20% dmg taken goes to mana
jewels -> 7-12% dmg taken goes to mana (this is a prefix so if you want ed and dmg to mana it'll have to be a rare jewel)

so with all these you could end up with a total of 56 or 59% dmg to mana (2 jewels) which will help you a lot in melee duels
The 20% from Angelic's alone is enough 99.8% of the time. The .2% is when you are facing a ow-only bvb, who deals next to no physical damage.

However, the problem behind dtm is that it only takes effect with physical attacks.

Dahmer

Diabloii.Net Member
the 20% is enough? nice to know, i havent really tested them so wasnt sure how much you actually need and since lot of barbs are ow or tend to count on ow i guess you'll need atleast 40-50% since they'll do less physical dmg?

Ce Olba

Banned
the 20% is enough? nice to know, i havent really tested them so wasnt sure how much you actually need and since lot of barbs are ow or tend to count on ow i guess you'll need atleast 40-50% since they'll do less physical dmg?
a full OW barbarian will be most likely using an axe with 4 ums and 2 shaels to minimize damage. That kind of a barbarian deals ~57.317884 physical damage to 50% DR, so you would need more like 200-300% DTM for it to be effective. And that's why such barbarians are a tough matchup in cases where you are counting on DTM to get you the manas.

And hell, that 57 damage is counting with Highlord's, which those barbarians will most likely not have. So, let's take it realistically and say they are using no DS at all (due to having low physical damage) and that they use, say 10% cb gloves, angelics and gtoes. That makes their physical average damage into 34.924375. If you would like to have an effective source of DTM mana from that kind of damage, you would need +600% DTM, which of course is not possible.

But with a Grief using Fortitude BvB, you will receive ~559.374895 damage per hit. That's counting no 32020s and a 375 Grief. You would now regain 111.874979 mana per hit. Now, with 33*32020s and a perfect 15/400 Grief, you would receive 667,44348 damage. With 20% DTM, you would receive 133.488696 mana per hit, which is ~3.5 whirlwinds worth of mana (counting 40 mana per whirlwind).

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
Interesting points of view all around, thanks.
My barb is mainly designed for melee duel, thus the stormshield for max block. But I also plan to use Enigma for teleporting. I think/hope I will have enough Mana with BO + Raven Frost, and 15% DTM from Enigma.