What's Your Poison Tourney Begins!

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Hooray! I accomplished two of my main goals with Emerald. First, she became a "Conqueror" (Champion really, but no deaths!) I'm happy about that, it really adds to my appreciation of playing her. Secondly, I was able to cube enough topaz to create a state of Magic-Find-Mania for Emerald and her merc. I did complete full clears of Normal and NM on p8.

By Act 5 NM, Emerald had +464% MF, and +657% on merc kills!!! :D
Emerald's full-time MF sources:
100% - Gull Dagger
96% - Jeweler's Full Plate Mail of Absorbption
72% - Artisan's Crown of Sorcery
35% - perfect Amulet of Luck
20% - Milabrega's Orb shield
28% - Chance Guards
24% - Ring of Fortune
25% - Ring of Fortune #2
30% - Goldwrap Heavy Belt
25% - Rare boots with good fire resist
9% - 2 charms

Merc's MF sources:
25% - The Meat Scraper Lochaber Axe (pretty good weapon also)
96% - gemmed Gothic Plate
72% - Artisan's Crown

To maximize my MF chances, I switched to the Gull/Milabrega's immediately after throwing a javelin. Why Milabraga's shield instead of "Rhyme"? Well, all my MF couldn't buy me a damn Shael rune. I had to cube up from Amns/Sols and didn't make "Rhyme" until late in Act 5 NM.
I ensured that Mizan the Holy Freeze merc would score most of the kills by keeping the valk at level 16 (at level 17 she gets a major weapon upgrade).
I unsummoned the valk whenever a boss was ready to die, and let Mizan do his job. Emerald's resists were low, so I kept her safe with lvl 16 Decoys and lots of running about. It wasn't easy to finish NM without dying, I had several NDEs with Gloam lightning, Curses, etc... The difference was all the stat points I put into vitality (currently 200, with 62 points saved)

I won't bore you with a complete list of the sets/uniques I've found. Suffice to say that 657% MF yields a ridiculous amount of yellow, green, and gold. A few of my favorites:

Stone of Jordan (can't wear it! illegal for this tourney! can be used to craft a socket though)
Bartuc's Greater Talons (196% ED)
Trang-Oul's Claws (+25% Poison damage) (Lancer's are still better for zons)
Saracen's Chance amulet
Dangoon's Teaching (woohoo, an elite set item)
Blackhorn's Face Death Mask (also illegal, but good for merc)
ethereal Rockstopper (great stats! cold 28%, lightning 40%, fire 39%, 214% ED)
The Diggler (combined with Crushing Blow, it's an awesome boss-killer)

Now that Emerald is in Hell, I need to scale back the MF a little. Mizan in particular is too delicate. I have an Iceblink for him, but I still need to babysit and pull him back often. I'm attempting an elevated player setting, between 3 and 8 depending on monster type, and I bumped the valk to level 17. I never did find Titan's Revenge, so I'm relying on a Lancer's throwing spear and Lancer's gauntlets to get my poison damage to about 15,000 over 13.4 seconds, good enough for p8 Fallen. My MF is still a whopping 388%, and my cold/light/fire resists are in the 20-30 range, thanks to 15 resistance charms, a nice rare belt, "Rhyme" in a Barbed Shield, and a Coral Amulet of Fortune.

Champion Emerald Lin, level 77, Act 1 Hell, Stony Field

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
@ Insane Wayne:
Wow, players 3-8 in Hell? Amazing for a char with such limited skills! Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with Poison Immunes? (For Pestilence, he uses AmpDmg.)

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
@ Insane Wayne:
Wow, players 3-8 in Hell? Amazing for a char with such limited skills! Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with Poison Immunes? (For Pestilence, he uses AmpDmg.)
Any area with tough poison immunes and/or poison resistant undead, will likely be done on p3. For those monsters, the merc and valk will take over. The valk especially does big damage, at level 17 she uses a rare elite war pike with additional 400% ED. Even against Physical Immunes, she does good damage. I think that some of her attack is converted to magic damage. Plus she occasionally spawns Amp Damage.

The merc assists with 50% Open Wounds and Prevent Monster Heal. He and the valk make a good team. Even so, I only plan to use p8 for special high level areas or against monsters with relatively low life (like Fallen, flayers, rogues, afflicted, etc...)

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't believe that this was clear on page 3. Anywho, I did a little more with my assassin. Act I isn't that bad in NM. I think I'm at like lvl 44.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Quick update on Pestilence. He has upped the players to 3 to increase # of drops. Seems to be handling it OK. Progress is steady. He has killed Andariel (a tough battle, merc died many, many times) and Radament (a really easy battle) and is Level 78, waiting to go out into the Rocky Waste.

The undead in the sewers weren't that bad; the undead ED provided by Gravepalm has helped a lot. I do have a question, though.

The question is, does deadly strike stack with amp damage? My current weapon, Heart Carver, has the mod "35% deadly strike." So if I hit an amped monster and I get a deadly strike roll, does my attack do 4X damage, or is the damage to an amped monster 2X no matter what? I haven't really been able to determine this through experimentation...

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
January 9th Status Update

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Champion Stinky_Poo--Clvl76--Act1 Hell
2. Crazy Runner Guy--Alexis--Clvl29--Act4
3. Insane Wayne--Champion Emerald Lin--Clvl77--Act1 Hell

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74--Slayer Strychnine--Clvl44--Act1 NM
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl50--Act3 NM

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl28--Act3
2. Quickdeath--Slayer Curare--Clvl63--Act4 NM
3. Falcon4eva--Slayer Vile_Jaws--Clvl49--Act1 NM

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO--Alice_Cooper--Clvl14--Act1
3. azn_apocalypse--Champion Pestilence--Clvl78--Act2 Hell

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Pestilence (level 81) is having a lot of adventures (and problems) in the desert. Note that these events took place over the last week, as progress is very slow now.

Anyway, when we last left him he had just killed Radament in Hell. Feeling pretty confident, my party decided to go to the Stony Tomb and kill the undead there. I got somewhat of a shock there, because the undead there were much harder to kill than those I had encountered in the sewers. The undead mages' elemental attacks (when compared to the returned archers' arrows) also did a lot more damage to me. Makes sense, seeing as how elemental attacks pass right thru bone armor. My poison resist is my worst resist (how ironic) at -26. Getting hit by a single poison bolt, while not immediately lethal, necessitated a trip back to town to heal up. Needless to say, I hung back and let my merc do most of the killing. Unfortunately he got killed and resurrected a lot, but better him than me. At last I cleared the entire Tomb (actually did it twice). No great items found.

I ventured into the Dry Hills and decided to try the Halls of the Dead. Big mistake. As soon as I entered the first chamber, hordes of poison-immune undead, embalmed and shocking bats swarmed around me. They were supported and continuously revived by at least three greater mummies. I was too afraid of meleeing the embalmed myself because of their nasty poison attack, so my merc's attack was my only attack against these undead. Well, it took several trips to town to even clear out the first chamber, and I decided that clearing the entire Halls of the Dead would be too much trouble than it was worth, seeing as how I already had the cube. So I did the unthinkable and...*gasp*...skipped the whole area to save my sanity.

Next stop, Maggot Lair. This place was actually pretty easy. While maggots are poison immune, beetles are not, and itchies are a joke when matched up against big poison damage. Maggots were therefore my only real annoyance, and I refused to take on any maggots unless I had to; when I saw one of the buggers blocking a passageway, I just turned around and tried to find another way (too much trouble to let the merc kill it because of the narrow passageways). Somehow, I was able to find my way down to Coldworm's chamber without having to kill hardly of any of them. Coldworm's chamber was FILLED with maggots. There must have been ten mommy maggots in there, which meant HUNDREDS of baby maggots. All of them poison immune, which meant melee was the only way to kill them...and me and my merc can only attack so fast. The baby maggots formed a wall that literally blocked my way from getting to the mommys, which kept laying eggs and creating more babys. Faster than you could blink there were so many maggots on screen that my computer began to slow down. Although I was not in danger of dying, I was worried that the game would crash. This, plus the fact that I was not in mortal danger, made it just annoying. I have a screenshot that shows all the maggots, and it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. So many enemies on screen at once. Anyway, it probably took about ten minutes to work my way through the chamber and kill every last one of the bugs. I felt like the Orkin man. It was satisfying.

After that I did a full clear of the Ancient Tunnels...this took awhile because of two Stone Skin/Lightning Enchanted ghouls that shrugged off melee attacks. The Claw Viper Temple was a relief. No (or at least very few) poison immune undead, just vipers. Fangskin and his minions went down pretty easily as well.

I ran through the Palace Cellar, killing what I could, then I got to the Arcane Sanctuary and hit a brick wall. The problem? SPECTRES. These things are immune to physical damage and even when I amp them, it takes twenty hits from me and my merc to kill EACH ONE. They also have high poison resistance, because they hardly take any damage. Did I mention they steal mana? When I see a boss pack of spectres I run away. Fast. Then I try to pick off each one individually. Still, last time I played there was one spectre I just could not kill. Conviction, Lightning Enchanted, Stone Skin, Immune to Physical. I sure as hell was not going to melee a LE boss, and my merc was unable to beat the life regeneration on this boss. That and the lightning bolts tended to kill him. Hwanin's Justice is just not cutting it anymore at this point. I've tried to craft a number of elite Safety spears for him to use, but the results were all mediocre. Hwanin's is still the best merc weapon I have.

Solution: poison nova? All my poison synergies/skills are maxed right now. I have not really used poison nova to this point but I think now might be the time to start. I need to find some way to deliver poison damage without jumping into the melee myself.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Emerald has advanced half-way through Act 2 Hell. She just hit level 84. I mopped up 90% of Act 1 on p8. After Blood Raven's area, there weren't too many poison immunes. My merc attracted much less attention after I maxed the valk. Monsters on his flank used to attack him directly, but now they often purposefully step around him to get to the valk. Weird, but very helpful for my sanity. I was sick of pulling him back every 5 seconds from hard-hitting mobs. My level 20 decoy is also quite durable, even in Hell.

Skeleton archers were the only problematic Poison Immunes. Whenever we hit pairs of them, I just ran ahead and left them in our wake with a decoy. I wanted the XP from boss packs though. The valk/decoys took all the arrows while Mizan pecked away. It took a while because of the p8, but I was able to clear 2 packs in the duration of an XP shrine. I carry PMH balanced knives and hit each monster, then my work is done.

I even did Andariel on p8. I cast a couple hundred decoys to take heat off the valk. They often only lasted a couple hits before popping, then I'd cast a new one. When the valk was about to die I recast her. All the while Mizan hacked away. I only had to resurrect him a few times. Andariel's drop wasn't very good, but the rest of Act 1 was a bonanza. I gambled away gold like a madman, only to make another 250,000 before I could blink.

I increased my poison damage after choosing among 2 +skill shields, Sigon's and Lidless Wall Grim Shield. I decided to keep the Sigon's for the high block rather than the lighter Lidless with mods Emerald didn't need. Net result = another couple thousand in poison damage. I still keep the "Rhyme" on the switch with the Gull.

azn_apocalypse said:
I ventured into the Dry Hills and decided to try the Halls of the Dead. Big mistake. As soon as I entered the first chamber, hordes of poison-immune undead, embalmed and shocking bats swarmed around me. They were supported and continuously revived by at least three greater mummies....I decided that clearing the entire Halls of the Dead would be too much trouble than it was worth, seeing as how I already had the cube. So I did the unthinkable and...*gasp*...skipped the whole area to save my sanity.
Next stop, Maggot Lair. This place was actually pretty easy. While maggots are poison immune, beetles are not, and itchies are a joke when matched up against big poison damage. Maggots were therefore my only real annoyance, and I refused to take on any maggots unless I had to; when I saw one of the buggers blocking a passageway, I just turned around and tried to find another way
The Claw Viper Temple was a relief. No (or at least very few) poison immune undead, just vipers. Fangskin and his minions went down pretty easily as well.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I did everything exactly as you had. Itchies are indeed a joke. Is there any creature with a more pitiful and laughable name than "Berserker Itchies"? Maybe Berserker Chihuahua.

I skipped the loner maggots whenever possible, but I made sure to kill the bosses. I had a powerful valk with a faster attack and amp damage, so it wasn't too bad. But I did suffer my first death. I was standing right here. Mizan and the valk are standing where a boss had been. I couldn't ID the boss because I was stuck around the corner fighting a couple baby maggots. After I killed them (which took forever) I saw the boss was FE. I tried to escape back around the corner but a maggot (seen in the screenie) was stuck in a crooked position. I couldn't attack it, it couldn't attack me, and worst of all, my TPs appeared on the other side of it, unreachable. It just sat there, quivering. The boss blew and I was killed instantly. Dammit. Oh well, I was asking for it, running around Hell with terrible resists, not paying attention.

For the first time in about 2+ years, I retrieved my corpse. I'd completely forgotten the whole ritual of running "naked" to get your gear. This is my first SC in a long while. I tried to kill the bugged maggot, but I still couldn't, and neither could the valk or Mizan. Lucky worm... But on the bright side, players8 + high MF is paying off. I've found tons of great loot. Here's some screens:

NM Meph p8... 3 uniques, cool
Baal's minion room drops... p8 NM, javelins were crap, made lots of gold tho
Welcome to the tower!...From a barrel in the first room, my first Gheed's :D
Emerald's first elite unique!... p8 Underground Passage
Collection of ethereal uniques found in succession, weird...
decent rare bone knife
Cold Crow's gang... pwned! another quick 100,000+ gold
obligatory cruel/evisceration (but normal) magic weapon... How come they're never elite???

Champion Emerald Lin, level 84, Act 2 Hell, Jerhyn's Palace.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
At last, the hated Act 2 has been completed by Pestilence (Level 82)! I spent almost two weeks (granted, not continuously) working thru Act 2 but finally it's over!

I was right about Poison Nova; fully synergized, it is an amazing skill. I added a new hotkey for it and enemies started dropping much more rapidly. One thing I really like about poison nova is that the poison bolts pass right thru my bone wall, so I can still spam bone wall without fear.

Ironically, I found that Greater Mummies and Vampires, normally two of the toughest undead monsters, were easier for my party to kill than Ghosts and Embalmeds, b/c of the phys immunity of ghosts and the poison immunity of embalmeds.

Compared to some of the crazy boss packs I had been facing, a players 3 Duriel was cake. I just kept casting clay golem and poison nova and stabbed away with my dagger. Duriel tended to attack the golem, so it was all good. He dropped two new finds for me: Duriel's Shell (Cuirass) and Saracen's Chance (ammy). Neither are more useful to me than MF, so I'll continue wearing what I have on. They're good items, tho.

I still only have three-socketed ptopaz armors for me and my merc. I want to upgrade to four-socketed armors for the extra MF, but I have only found one four-socketed armor so far, and I stupidly sold it before I realized the potential use. I also tried the cube socketing recipe on an embossed plate, but it only gave me three sockets! (Would it ever give four sockets?)

I also found a 284% ed (cruel) champion sword! Wow! Too bad I'm not using a barb merc. This weapon would eat the enemies up!

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
Duriel tended to attack the golem, so it was all good. He dropped two new finds for me: Duriel's Shell (Cuirass) and Saracen's Chance (ammy).
Duriel dropped his shell? That's cool...

azn_apocalypse said:
I have only found one four-socketed armor so far, and I stupidly sold it before I realized the potential use. I also tried the cube socketing recipe on an embossed plate, but it only gave me three sockets! (Would it ever give four sockets?)
Yes, embossed plate can have 4 sockets. The cube recipe has a 50% (3/6) chance of giving 4 sockets, and a 1/6 chance each for 1,2, or 3 sockets. You were unlucky. I used the recipe to make a 2 socket Heater for an improved "Rhyme". My odds were better, 5/6 to get 2 sockets.

I hate shopping, but for this character I got in the habit of checking for 4 socket Jeweler's armor once per town trip. They're rare, but if you're persistent one will pop up. Or you can try the recipe with any of the elite armors for another 50/50 chance of 4 sockets.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane Wayne said:
for this character I got in the habit of checking for 4 socket Jeweler's armor once per town trip. They're rare, but if you're persistent one will pop up.
Some additional info about shopping for Jeweler´s armors:

* Act 3 NM is the first place you can see them. In Normal, there is a cap on ilvl, so you can´t get Jeweler´s there and in the first two acts in NM, none of the armor types for sale support 4 sockets.
However, there is a problem finding them even at this stage, because of how affix levels are counted. If my calculations are correct, you need to be at least clvl 67 to be able to see a Jeweler´s Gothic Plate for sale. At around level 70-72, I think you have opened them all up.

* Providing the armor can get Jeweler´s, about 1/200 of the armors for sale will be a Jeweler´s.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz\ * Providing the armor [I said:
can[/I] get Jeweler´s, about 1/200 of the armors for sale will be a Jeweler´s.
I managed to shop one last night! :thumbsup:

I got it from Hell Gheed. It took about fifty trips to town but I finally got the jeweler's prefix in a gothic plate, along with some other forgettable suffix. I immediately did some armor switching on me/my merc and we increased our magic find by about 20%, and it will go up another 24% when I find (or cube up to) another ptopaz.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
January 13th Status Update

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Champion Stinky_Poo--Clvl78--Act2 Hell
3. Insane Wayne--Champion Emerald Lin--Clvl84--Act2 Hell

Assassin

Druid

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
3. azn_apocalypse--Champion Pestilence--Clvl82--Act3 Hell

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, good news and bad news to report.

The Bad: Ok, so Pestilence was going thru the Spider Forest in Act 3 Hell, when suddenly he crossed into the Great Marsh -- and was one-hit killed by a minion Gloam. I didn't even get to see the boss mods, as the boss gloam was off-screen somewhere. My lightning resist is 7%...are Gloams just that powerful in Hell or is something else happening here? Do I need more lightning resist?

The Good: I found another ptopaz, upped my magic find by 24%, and decided to run Hell Andy once today. She dropped Endlesshail (Double Bow) and...Skullder's Ire (Russet Armor)!!! Never found this one before. Wow, +1 to skills and MF based on char level! (102% at the moment) I'm thinking I'll socket this and use it as my endgame armor...what should I put in there for my poison Necro? I was thinking a jewel of some sort...resist all (how common are these jewels)? A ptopaz for even more MF? I even have some rare jewels in Pestilence's stash that I've been saving for something like this...*runs excitedly to check stash*

EDIT: Another question I have is, if I put Skullder's on my merc (str req too high right now), how much MF will he get? He's exactly the same level as I am. Will the "based on char level" thing work correctly?

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
I HATE GLOAMS!!!! I hate gloams. I really, really hate gloams.

Pestilence is level 82 and has basically lost a full level of experience constantly dying to these annoying things. I got my lightning resist up to 26 but it might be as well be -80, because I have died at least twenty times so far. No matter how carefully I step through the jungle, they always get me.

With my equipment on, I can survive a few hits from the bolts but they'll always somehow manage to suddenly fire six bolts at me simultaneously...oops...*necro screams*..."You have lost experience." Attempting to get my corpse is futile because I always die in one hit from a gloam without my equipment on.

My merc is a moron too...I'm starting to understand where they get their nickname from. I try to get him to go in front of me and attack gloams that are on the other side of the screen, but he'll just hang around next to me or get stuck behind a tree or something. Who would have thought an animated pile of clay would be smarter than an Act 2 merc?

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I managed to get Pestilence through the Great Marsh (by switching out my "Lore" Helm for a Blackhorn's Face that Pestilence found a while ago)...the Gloams still did tons of damage, but not as much as they had been inflicting before. I found my way into the Flayer Jungle, found and activated the WP, and decided to do kill a few more monsters.

I'm glad I did, because this dropped. First unique elite I've ever found.

Baranar's Star
Devil Star
One-Hand Damage: 129 to 159
Durability: 39 of 172
Required Dexterity: 44
Required Strength: 153
Required Level: 65
Mace Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0x2b1cc30d
+15 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+200% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1-200 fire damage
Adds 1-200 lightning damage
Adds 1-200 cold damage over 8 seconds
+100 Maximum Durability
50% Increased Attack Speed
200% Bonus to Attack Rating
150% Damage to Undead

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Howdy All,
Stinky_Poo is cruizin' Act2 at CLvl 79. Just got the staff and ammy and headin' into the palace. No great green or gold finds lately. I did find a 4soc Scarb Husk which is just waiting on 2 more P topazes. Found a Mal Rune in a chest. High rune but what can it make...Venom?
Anyhoo, hope all is well with everyone.

Ekun

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Stinky_Poo had a great marning!!!
Finished Act2 at Clvl80. Found Shako! Found Chancies! Found Silkweave Boots!
Now she's up and runnin'!

January 16th Status Update

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Champion Stinky_Poo--Clvl80--Act3 Hell
3. Insane Wayne--Champion Emerald Lin--Clvl84--Act2 Hell

Assassin

Druid

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
3. azn_apocalypse--Champion Pestilence--Clvl82--Act3 Hell

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
Another question I have is, if I put Skullder's on my merc (str req too high right now), how much MF will he get? He's exactly the same level as I am. Will the "based on char level" thing work correctly?
Good question. I assume so, because items with "+life based on char level" visibly work on mercs when you check their stats. Regardless, I'd reserve the armor for your necro. You'll benefit from the +skill more than the merc, it might be worth another couple thousand more poison damage. Nice find!
For socketing, I'd go with an Ort/lightning resist jewel, since you're dying often to lightning damage. (You can always "Hel" it out later.) Single digit lightning resist is costing you a lot of XP from dying. I see you're wearing Blackhorn's Face now for lightning protection, but in a few levels you might find/gamble +2 skills circlets. (Also, I don't mean to be a nitpick, but I thought Blackhorn's was banned because of the lightning damage it inflicts. Just a friendly heads-up. No big deal.)

Exarkun said:
Stinky_Poo is cruizin' Act2 at CLvl 79. Just got the staff and ammy and headin' into the palace. No great green or gold finds lately. I did find a 4soc Scarb Husk which is just waiting on 2 more P topazes. Found a Mal Rune in a chest. High rune but what can it make...Venom?
"Sanctuary" shield (Ko+Ko+Mal) might work well for you. High block and +50-70 resist all. Those high resists can grant you flexibility with your other gear for more +skills/MF, and recover more inventory/stash space since you could ditch some resist charms.

Exarkun said:
Stinky_Poo had a great marning!!! Finished Act2 at Clvl80. Found Shako! Found Chancies! Found Silkweave Boots! Now she's up and runnin'!
Shako! Awesome! I've been teased with about 10 rare shakos, but no Harly yet.