What's Your Poison Tourney Begins!

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Happy holidays, everybody. Well, it's been a while since I last updated Pestilence...but he is making progress. He has just killed Mephisto in NM and will start Act 4 next.

Current progress is good. New equipment includes a "Lore" Full Helm (+1 all skills) and a "Rhyme" Large Shield. Before making these runewords, I was thinking to use a necro-specific shield for the "Rhyme" runeword, but I got impatient waiting for a two-socketed one with decent +skills to drop. Finally I just gave up and shopped the appropriate socketed items in Act 2 Normal. It was much faster that way.

I've added a lot more MF to my party (not nearly as much as Insane Wayne, though) and because of that I've recently found a lot of great items in my travels.

-Spineripper (unique Poignard) - very useful. Great physical damage and +1 to all necro skills bonus as well.
-Hwanin's Justice (the set Bill) - equipped on my merc, replacing the rare bec-de-corbin.
-Fungal Grand Charm (+1 to poison/bone skills)
-Blackhorn's Face (Unique Death Mask)
-Bartuc's Cut Throat (Unique Greater Talons, only 150% ed tho, the lowest possible value)
-Ginter's Rift (Unique Dimensional Blade)
-Headstriker (Unique Battle Sword)

With my current equipment, I have +5 to poison/bone skills overall. PExplosion damage is now 10K-12K over about 12 seconds, PDagger is around 5K to 6K, I think. Not bad. My resistances are somewhat low, though. Cold resistance is negative...but at least I have the CBF mod, given by the Rhyme runeword. Act 4 should be tough, I think. Lots of Undead knights and Venom Lords, which are poison-immune in NM. We'll see how well I can fare against them.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a short update to keep our thread prominently displayed.

Curare, the rabies druid, is at clvl 57 and has entered Lower Kurast in NM Act 3. Curare has been playing with MF = +118% with the Merc at an additional +48%; but I've cut Curare's MF back to +**% to use an attractive amulet instead. The ammy has +1 to Shape-shifting skills (i.e., Rabies, WW, Lycan), +23% to pois resist, +7% to fire resist and +54 to life - given all the spider and undead pits I've been crawling through, that ammy was too much of a temptation.

Despite that, I'm in a lull in my MF. I found a Bverrit's Keep Tower Shield and not much else.

Merry Christmas to everyone! :xsmile4:

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
I might be crazy, but...

Does a Holy Freeze Merc's Aura have any effect on Poison Damage or Duration?
It seems that that my poison damage is more effective when my Merc isn't around...

Anyhoo,

Stinky_Poo is rolling along. Just about to enter Act1 Hell at Clvl69. Been doing a bit of runnin' around and MF'ing. With her new rhyme shield she's up over 300% MF. Need to find some real gear to tackle Hell Diff. Wearing 4 PTopaz Armor and a 3 PTopaz Winged Helm, rare MF gloves and boots and Baal dropped me IK Belt so she's wearin' that as well.
Haven't found alot considering the kit she's wearing...

Best of Luck,

Ekun

Ekun

AlterEgo

Diabloii.Net Member
Canis_Rabis is moving slowly along... far behind our esteemed leaders...

He's defeated Duriel and entered Act 3. No real issues so far, but no great finds yet either. I really hope to put some time into my druid this week.

Canis_Rabis, lvl28, Act 3

ndt

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a small comment to all:
I am excitedly following your updates about your progress in this tourney as I am a big fan of poison damage and very interested in how viable it is.

I would have taken part in the tourney myself but at the moment I am spending my spare time on another game featuring nasty poison damage... :xsmile:

I know it's heresy for the D2 gods, but I can't help it...

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Curare: clvl 63 Rabies Druid
WP: Pandemonium Fortress NM (Act 4)
Top Rune: Dol
Avg. Poison Damage: 8,200 over 14 seconds

Mephisto dropped crap: a Sigons belt and rares

Theory on Poison damage duration: There is a NM and Hell level reduction factor on monsters' cold duration (time when there motion is slowed). I believe that the chill duration is reduced by 1/2 in NM and 1/4 in Hell. I suspect that this factor is also being applied to poison damage duration.

Any comments, anyone? NDT, do you have any experience with this?

Hiedran

Diabloii.Net Member
Quickdeath said:
Theory on Poison damage duration: There is a NM and Hell level reduction factor on monsters' cold duration (time when there motion is slowed). I believe that the chill duration is reduced by 1/2 in NM and 1/4 in Hell. I suspect that this factor is also being applied to poison damage duration.

Any comments, anyone? NDT, do you have any experience with this?
From my experience with Rabies, I think the only reduction occurs on Act Bosses. I had a 9 second or so infection duration, and I'm pretty sure it would run for 9 seconds. I did quite a few Eldritch/Shenk runs in getting ready for my death at the hand of the Ancients, so I got to see lots of Baal's Minions spread the love. Though if there is a duration reduction, I'd suspect it's 3/4 and 1/2 of duration. (Akin to the prefixes "of Remedy" and "of Amelioration.") That would be pretty brutal on top of half the monsters suddenly having poison resists. (A quick and non-comprehensive scan of AS shows about half the monster classes having at least 10% res when they had no poison resists in normal and nightmare.)

ndt

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry, I am more a fan of the visual effects of poison than of the statistics behind it.

Nevertheless another thought on the topic: Those who experience the duration reduction, do you also experience a damage reduction? Or does the decreased duration actually lead to an INcreased damage rate per sec? Maybe to help overcoming the monster resistances in the higher difficulties and to encourage the use of poison?

Just speculation, although it would be nice.

Hiedran

Diabloii.Net Member
ndt said:
Nevertheless another thought on the topic: Those who experience the duration reduction, do you also experience a damage reduction? Or does the decreased duration actually lead to an INcreased damage rate per sec? Maybe to help overcoming the monster resistances in the higher difficulties and to encourage the use of poison?
My experience with my characters and reduced duration (without resorting to number crunching): When an object is poisoned, a damage per second number is calculated. Reduce the number of seconds and you'll reduce the total damage output.

So having reduced times + resists would just hurt.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Continuing the conversation on poison duration:

My character currently has about 8000 damage over 14 seconds but what I observe on NM monsters that I bite is that they do do not remain green for 14 seconds. Its hard to be scientific when you're fighting, but it appears to be about 7 seconds. I have also observed this on the blunderbusses in the Palace Chambers -whom I remember to have no resistances to any elemental damages. And other participants have commented about poison duration appearing to be shorter.

The most advanced characters in the tourney are just starting to hit Hell difficulty -and if there really is some reduction in duration it should be more noticeable there. It should be instructive to hear from them.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
After Christmas Status Update

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Slayer Stinky_Poo--Clvl70--Act1 Hell
2. Crazy Runner Guy--Alexis--Clvl14--Act 1
3. Insane Wayne--Slayer Emerald Lin--Clvl54--Act2 NM

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74--Strychnine--Clvl30--Act5
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl50--Act3 NM

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl28--Act3
2. Quickdeath--Slayer Curare--Clvl63--Act4 NM
3. Falcon4eva--Slayer Vile_Jaws--Clvl49--Act1 NM

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO--Alice_Cooper--Clvl14--Act1
3. azn_apocalypse--Slayer Pestilence--Clvl58--Act4 NM

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess everyone (myself included) is busy with other stuff.
It's all good. Hope everyone has a great New Year!

Ekun

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
I am proud to announce that Pestilence has attained the rank of Champion. :xsmile:

He ran Act 5 NM at players 6, except the Ancients, which he ran at players 1 to save my sanity. Baal was a cakewalk as usual, and again, he couldn't move throughout the entire battle. To be fair, there were some tough parts of Act 5. The toughest part of the Act was facing the bugged poison javelin vipers in the Halls of Vaught. The Halls of Vaught (where Nilithak lives) is only a small area, but going through it my merc was killed (and resurrected) fifteen or twenty times. Luckily I didn't die.

I did die a couple of times in the Frozen River, which had Witches and Gloams. Probably the toughest combination I've seen for a Necro to face. At any given moment when I turned a corner, I would be suddenly overwhelmed by red magic balls and bolts of lightning. They came from EVERYWHERE! I have decent lightning res but it didn't seem to matter. And, since the Witches/Gloams are all ranged attackers, they were unaffected by Holy Freeze and my golem's slowing effect, and had a nasty habit of hovering over water and shooting at me so my party could not get to them. I tried to put up Bone Walls between my party and the Gloams, but the darn lightning pierced right through the bone walls (and hit me)! Like I said, I died a couple of times in the process of clearing that area. Good thing I'm in SC, not HC.

I am expecting Hell difficulty to be tough. I'm not sure which monsters will have poison immunity but I'm sure there will be a lot of them. Hell difficulty has always been a problem for me. I have actually never Pat'd or Guard'ed any character in D2, ever. Hopefully this will be the first.

Items found since last update:

-Cloudcrack Gothic Sword
-The Fetid Sprinkler Holy Water Sprinkler
-Radament's Sphere Ancient Shield. Great shield. High def (266), 56% block, adds poison dmg to attack/chance to cast poison nova. It would be nice for this tourney! Unfortunately it's not useful for my character, but it's open to trade!

Pestilence
Level 73
Act 1 Hell, Rogue Encampment WP

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
So, I had some time today while my wife was working and played strichnyne for awhile. She is now level 43 and she just finished normal. Baal dropped crap, even with 102% MF. I still don't have very good gear. Artic Furs and binding and chance guards. I am using a strength runeworded claw. I may just run Baal until I get some decent gear. I still haven't decided which merc to use. Currently I am using an Act V one with a malice runeword.

It doesn't seem that my poison damage is really increasing. Right now its 285-305. This seems very low for an end game skill. Its already slvl 14 and there are no synergies. I remember someone saying at the beginning that assasins would have a good advantage in this tourney, but I am still not sure why.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Champion Pestilence is currently running around in Hell difficulty Act 1, on players 2. He has been doing full clears of each area, including the optional cave areas (except for the Pit, he skipped it and will come back later when he has more MF).

I'd say Hell difficulty is pretty much a match for Pestilence's abilities. The monsters are tough while not being completely overwhelming. That being said, I have died a few times. Most of them were careless deaths early on(like standing too close to a cold enchanted monster dying). I imagine they could have been avoided. Anyway, I have now lost count of my total # of deaths, though I'm trying my best not to die.

Early in the Act I had some major troubles killing the undead (skeletons and zombies). Since they were resistant to poison they would take FOREVER to kill. Then I found two uniques, Heart Carver (Rondel) and Gravepalm (Sharkskin Gloves). The Heart Carver deals quite a bit more physical damage than the Spineripper I had equipped before, but loses the +1 to necro skills. The Gravepalm has +190% dmg to undead, which is a huge amount of dmg. I debated what equipment to use for awhile, but finally decided on Heart Carver combined with Gravepalm, along with rare boots with dual 35% fire/cold res. I lost about 35 MF changing my equipment but I feel it is worth it for the bonus in my killing speed/resistances. My resistances are still awful though, all four resists are negative, though it is close to zero for all four.

My party is fairly effective against undead now. In the Tamoe Highland I was killing returned archers (poison immune) by myself fairly quickly while the merc/golem worked on other monsters.

Bone Wall is by far my most useful spell. It has been a lifesaver for my party on countless occasions. Basically, whenever I face packs of ranged attackers (archers, disfigureds), I spam Bone Walls all around them, sealing them off. Strangely enough, my merc's melee attack can penetrate through the Bone Wall, but the monsters' ranged attacks cannot, and will be blocked by the wall. What a useful thing to know! Bone Wall is also helpful in narrow passageways (ie the Caves) to block off multiple packs of monsters from getting to me, so I can deal with one pack at a time.

The Countess dropped a Shael rune and an Eld rune. Yes, an Eld rune...there should be a law against her dropping such crap...

I made it all the way up to the Outer Cloister, and will probably attempt to kill Andariel next update.

Champion Pestilence
Level 77
WP: Outer Cloister (Hell Act 1)

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Gabriel74 said:
It doesn't seem that my poison damage is really increasing. Right now its 285-305. This seems very low for an end game skill. Its already slvl 14 and there are no synergies. I remember someone saying at the beginning that assasins would have a good advantage in this tourney, but I am still not sure why.
I agree that it's not true that assassins have an advantage in this tourney.
In fact, Venom is pretty weak because it doesn't have any synergies, like you said.

However, Venom is advantageous over the other poison skills b/c it is much more fast acting. 0.4 seconds for the poison dmg to take its full effect, compared to 10 seconds and above for the other poison skills in this tourney. 300 poison dmg over 0.4 seconds (which is what you deal now) is 750 poison dmg per second. That's about equal to what Pestilence's PDagger does. Now, if you have a fast enough attack speed that you keep the monsters constantly poisoned, I think you will kill very fast, since you will be doing considerable physical damage with hit.

EDIT: Don't forget, you can also use any weapon, including ranged weapons, with Venom, which is unlike the other poison skills.

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
Alexis is now clvl 29 and in Act 4 Norm, and I hope to clear norm before I go to bed tonight.

The first three acts were a breeze, and as usual, act bosses were tough (I even died against Meph. Ouch! His orb REALLY hurt)).

Anyway:

Alexis: Amazon clvl 29 Act 4 Norm

crg

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Quickdeath said:
Continuing the conversation on poison duration:

My character currently has about 8000 damage over 14 seconds but what I observe on NM monsters that I bite is that they do do not remain green for 14 seconds. Its hard to be scientific when you're fighting, but it appears to be about 7 seconds. I have also observed this on the blunderbusses in the Palace Chambers -whom I remember to have no resistances to any elemental damages. And other participants have commented about poison duration appearing to be shorter.

The most advanced characters in the tourney are just starting to hit Hell difficulty -and if there really is some reduction in duration it should be more noticeable there. It should be instructive to hear from them.
I have not noticed any difference in poison dmg length from the listed duration. The skill says 12 seconds and it lasts for 12 seconds. I have tested this in a number of locations, in NM and Hell difficulties.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Happy 2005 Status Update

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Champion Stinky_Poo--Clvl75--Act1 Hell
2. Crazy Runner Guy--Alexis--Clvl29--Act4
3. Insane Wayne--Slayer Emerald Lin--Clvl54--Act2 NM

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74--Slayer Strychnine--Clvl43--Act1 NM
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl50--Act3 NM

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl28--Act3
2. Quickdeath--Slayer Curare--Clvl63--Act4 NM
3. Falcon4eva--Slayer Vile_Jaws--Clvl49--Act1 NM

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO--Alice_Cooper--Clvl14--Act1
3. azn_apocalypse--Champion Pestilence--Clvl77--Act1 Hell

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
I have not noticed any difference in poison dmg length from the listed duration. The skill says 12 seconds and it lasts for 12 seconds. I have tested this in a number of locations, in NM and Hell difficulties.
I agree. My Plague Javelin effect lasts exactly as long as listed. Also tested in NM and Hell.