2. Quickdeath--Curare--Clvl32--Act4
3. Falcon4eva--Vile_Jaws--Clvl27--Act3

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO--Alice_Cooper--Clvl14--Act1
3. azn_apocalypse--Slayer Pestilence--Clvl58--Act3 NM

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, Stinky_poo made Slayer last night. The battle with Baal was rough. Merc did most of the damage it seems. I don't get it my Poison Jav is up to about 5000 damage but the duration is at 46 seconds...DOH.
Anyhoo, will start NM this weekend.
I'm wondering what type of jav/spear I should be trying to get. Not real familiar with anything but LF Javvies.

Any suggestions? What should I be gambling for?

Ekun

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
I don't get it my Poison Jav is up to about 5000 damage but the duration is at 46 seconds...DOH.
I'm mid-way through Act 5, and my level 21 Plague Javelin does about 6800 damage over 11 seconds. I've maxed both Poison skills already. Get out of Poison Jav ASAP and put all future points into Plague until it's maxed. I've delayed developing all my other skills to get big poison damage, but it's worth it.

Exarkun said:
Anyhoo, will start NM this weekend.
I'm wondering what type of jav/spear I should be trying to get. Not real familiar with anything but LF Javvies. Any suggestions? What should I be gambling for?
In my opinion, the only critical mod for your javelin is + skill. You can shop for +3 Jav skill javelins, or find +3 Amazon-specific javelins in the field. I'm using a plain maiden jav with +1 skill until I find something better. But even that puny +1 still gives about 700 more poison damage. Gambling for +skill javs is a long shot, and you will end up with lots of javs with other elemental damage that makes them illegal. I would save gambling money for other types of gear.

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
Any suggestions? What should I be gambling for?
Wayne's hit the nail on the head, really. Gamble on anything but Javs. +Skills are great, as would be Increased Stack Size or Replenishes Quantity (or both!). Having Replenishing javelins will save you in repair costs (as it will only be 1 gold), which will, in the future, free you up to spend more money elsewhere. :xgrin:

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Poison on Act Bosses

Exarkun's account of his battle with Baal has caused me to wonder about something. My Rabies is currently at about 2000 average over 10 or 11 seconds - and I had plenty of trouble killing Normal Diablo. In fact all the Act Bosses have been surprisingly tough to kill.

In addition to the posion resistance, is it possible that Bosses have a drain effectiveness factor, or something like that, that reduces the poison length? I did not time it, but Rabies turns a character green with a red oscillating aura - and I don't believe my infections of Normal Diablo lasted more than a few seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this with Act Bosses? Or am I hallucinating?

AlterEgo

Diabloii.Net Member
Canis_Rabis has made some progress :) I stopped today before entering the palace. A1 and A2 have been no problem. Beetles were troublesome, but I was getting a bit too careless and taking way too many hits. I actually should have switched to my 1H/shield combo for some blocking. :uhhuh:

I've been playing at P8 with a big 'ol 2H weapon. I'm up to a decent rare maul with CTC Amp Dmg - pretty nice. Rabies is really fun, especially when standing in the doorway of rooms swarming with monsters. :D I have rabies at slvl8 synergizied with slvl10 Creeper.

I'm taking quite a few risks with this char - rushing into unknown areas, circling around and herding monsters - stuff like that. Since I normally play HC, I'm really enjoying the mental freedom of possible death, and going on with the game. :D

I have about a mule-worth of chippies in the prize stash, but haven't found much itamz wise. Just one set & one unique, nothing to get too excited over. My best gear has come from gambling so far.

Canis_Rabis, lvl25 Act 2, Palace

Quickdeath said:
Curare has a Defiance Merc, an Slvl 2 Grizzly Bear, an Slvl 1 Oak Sage and an Slvl 10 Poison Creeper. What strategy for summons are the other druids pursuing? When you get to NM, what Merc will you pick? I'm leaning towards Might and wondering about HoW over Oak.
I'll use dire wolves most of the time & grizzly against bosses. I hope to use poison creeper the entire game. Oak Sage will get most of my play, but I may put 1 into HoW to help my merc & summons beat the poison immunes. I also plan to stick with my A1 fire rogue.

AlTheKiller said:
As for Hunger, I would say no, mostly because it is comparable to Cobra Strike which is banned for the assassins.
Agreed. I probably wouldn't use it anyway. Vines are much cheaper.

Falcon4eva

Diabloii.Net Member
Long time since I last posted about VJ’s progress, so its time for another long report!

VJ is currently a Slayer, and is chilling in nightmare act 1. I’ll pick up from where I stopped from before. Act 3… Ahh, the dense jungles of Kurast. A favorite for some, a hated place for most. Personally, I totally hate the starting parts of act 3. Namely the jungles. However, VJ enabled me to feel otherwise. With rabies, mobs of fetish or flayers were dead within seconds. The jungle routes, for the first time, were easy to handle. I came across a very useful unique on the way to the temples.

I took on some of the false kurast temples, and much to my disappointment, none provided challenge. VJ was laying the smack down in the temples when his weapon nearly broke. I thought it might be fun for a challenge, to not go town to repair. Needless to say, rabies ate the little monsters up from the inside. Battlemaid Sarina didn’t stand much of a chance even with a mob like that and a near broken weapon. I found a unique morning star, which I promptly sold away for more gold.

There was nothing that could stop VJ in his path, and even Mephisto bit the dust without putting up a decent fight. He gave me crappy drops, but they still were 6 rares, and that gave me somemore gambling funds. Act 3 was over in the same day I last posted, but I was too lazy to post a new update. :p I did gamble a very very sweet shield for VJ during his stay in act 3.

Dire Tower
Bone Shield
Defense: 10
Chance to Block: 60%
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 18
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x21d4914e
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Fire Resist +38%
Lightning Resist +38%
Cold Resist +38%
Poison Resist +52%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1
10% Faster Hit Recovery
30% Faster Block Rate
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Socketed with 2 perfect diamonds for those sweet resists!

Act 4… Well, lets just say that I sort of hit a brick wall in the form of Diablo. The whole act wasn’t hard at all, it was a pushover. Hellforge netted me a not-so-useful ort rune. Oh well, I wasn’t expecting much from normal’s hellforge anyway. The infector of souls did force me fight with brains as well though. Their unbelievably high poison resists meant that I couldn’t just bite and tank. I had to pull 2 to 3 venom lords away at a time. The others were easy though. Didn’t have to think when fighting. Diablo, however, was a different story.

Within a second, my oak sage and grizzly died. My merc joined them soon. I was left with my vine, which didn’t help me in anyway at all. I came up with a strategy of biting once, running all over, biting again and running again. It took lots of time, town portals and potions, but it was the surest and safest way I could come up with. VJ tanked Diablo himself when Diablo was on the verge of dying. After Diablo died, he dropped me crap. Not surprising to me anymore, even with 114% MF.

In my previous post, I said I was expecting some trouble later on. I guess that trouble was in the form of undead act 5 monsters. The starting areas of act 5 was the calm before the storm, as later on VJ found it very hard to kill those defiled warriors and their like. I immediately replaced my act 2 merc with a barb merc for VJ. I figured using physical attacks against poison immune foes would be good, thus the change. VJ also needs the tank, and more meat shields wouldn’t hurt anyway.

There’s this funny thing that I came across in the infernal pits, and I wondered if anyone else came across this as well… Clicky. How do I attack something I can’t get close to? :scratch:

Since hellforge dropped me a perfect amethyst, I decided to try out crafting. I crafted a safety amulet, and to my surprise, I got a rather good amulet. See it here. Nice overall mods, and very useful. Gambling also snagged me a nice saintly circlet of luck, with 53 def and +28% MF. I swapped it for my rare full helm, and felt a nice change. I also gambled a nice rare light plated boots, with MF to boot.

The undead defiled warriors obstructed my course through act 5, but my barb merc helped out greatly. The ancients… They couldn’t even kill my merc, so, ‘nuff said. The greatest pain in the butt at the throne was killing the 2nd wave of monsters. Achmel the Cursed is immune to poison, and lucky for me, my merc deals good non-poison damage. This is what happened to Achmel. The rest were manageable, but Lister’s pack required more brain.

Baal himself was the longest battle I’ve ever fought so far. I took him on players 8, for the exp and challenge. And a challenge did he give. My oak sage constantly died, and I was so annoyed that I refused to summon it while fighting baal. My bear could last for 20 seconds before dying, and my merc was the one who kept baal distracted. This time round I was unable to use the same tactic I used against Diablo, thus I had to come up with another. I stocked up on red and blue potions, cast my grizzly beside baal, bite him once and observe.

If my bear was gonna die soon, recast. If merc was gonna die, feed potions immediately. If rabies wore out, bite him again. I assumed that baal would keep attacking my merc and bear, while letting rabies damage him. I was wrong. Baal teleported, cloned and summoned tentacles, which easily distracted my tanks. All the while, his life bar was very very slowly depleting. Much too slow for my comfort. But I couldn’t do anything to accelerate it. After a long grueling fight, he finally died. He dropped me demonhide gloves, which I thought would be useful, if they weren’t ethereal. :rant:

Next stop would be the moo moo farm. I guess I’ll get lots of dead contaminated beef within seconds. And i apologize for the extremely long report, it's just a bad habit of mine to write lots.

Slayer Vile_Jaws(VJ)
Level 49 Rabies Druid
Currently in NM Act 1
Last quest completed: Eve of Destruction.
% Of MF: 133%

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Curare, clvl 43 Druid, ACT I NM Cold Plains WP ... and fun to play! Thanks, Ekarkun.

Found a +2 to Rabies Wolf Head, So Rabies is at slvl 22 with Pcreeper at slvl 11

I ramped down to P3 for ACT IV and V because my clvl was getting too high above the mlvls for effective leveling. The Ancients were a breeze but we struggled with Baal. I've put 3 points into Grizzly and he's starting to kill.

Still churning on merc selection. I still am leaning towards Might merc, but what do I do about inevitable PI, PoisI monsters? Elemental weapon on merc, I guess. But its hard to keep an Act II Merc spare weapon in stash, because it takes up 8 boxes. And it would be a very slow kill. So I'm churning.....

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Quickdeath said:
...but what do I do about inevitable PI, PoisI monsters? Elemental weapon on merc, I guess.
Yes, I think elemental damage for the merc will be a possible soution. Try to get elemental damage on a circlet as well as a good weapon. One hit with Prevent Monster Heal will help a lot.

Quickdeath said:
But its hard to keep an Act II Merc spare weapon in stash, because it takes up 8 boxes.
It may only take up 3 boxes, if it´s a javelin!

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Curare, the Rabies Druid is now clvl 52; Act2 NM, Dry Hills WP.

Curare showed NM Radament who is the poison boss, and Radament dropped a gold cudgel: Dark Clan Crusher! +2 Druid Skills, 17-61 damage with +200% damage to demons; +150% damage to undead and +25% to AR! What a fortunuate drop. I need this item for my grail - in fact I've never even studied this item before. A great fit for my druid at this time as it helps with everything: Rabies damage, Lycan duration, Oak sage life, Grizzly stats, pdam, etc.

Curare is equipped with the following uniques and greens: Hawkmail, Swordback Hold shield (on switch), Dark Clan Crusher, Death's Guard or Snake Cord belts, and Chance Guard Chain Gloves. Crushflange sits in reserve with its CB mod but I'll probably just mule it off. My Might Merc has Twitchthroe armor.

Highest rune found: Dol.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Status Update

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Slayer Stinky_Poo--Clvl41--Act2 NM
2. Crazy Runner Guy--Alexis--Clvl14--Act 1
3. Insane Wayne--Emerald Lin--Clvl28--Act3

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74--Strychnine--Clvl26--Act2
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl50--Act3 NM

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl25--Act2
2. Quickdeath--Curare--Clvl52--Act2 NM
3. Falcon4eva--Vile_Jaws--Clvl49--Act1 NM

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Managed to play a little this weekend, So, Deathblade is now level 8. Yes, not a massive update, but I hope to play some more this week.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
WOW!!
Talk about a long, drawn out fight. Stinky_Poo just put down NM Duriel. It was the toughest brawl she's had yet. Low IAS + Getting frozen = long sucky fight.
Merc kept on dyin', ran out of Revive money and had to sell a skull...DOH.
Finally killed him and he drops a Unique Long Bow...That's like my 2nd gold item the whole tourney...DOH
Anyhoo, on to Act III...

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Just thought I should let you guys know that I won't be around until the 10 January. I haven't quit the tourney, I just won't be able to get online, So, expect some decent progress to be posted in two weeks or so.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Quite a day for Stinky_Poo.
Just killed Mephy and decided to do some Trav runs and L. Kurast Chest Popping for some Gambling money...
Here's what she found:

Shael Rune
Lum Rune
Tal's Mask
Ravenfrost...DOH! Cold Damage!
Unique Stiletto
Unique Gladius

Probably going to make a Rhythm Shield when I find a good 2 soc shield. Maybe make Smoke Armor since I don't have anything good to wear now. The rest go into the prize pot. The leech wouldn't do me much so if anyone wants to trade for the Tal's Mask let me know...

Stinky_Poo
Clvl55
Act4 NM

Hiedran

Diabloii.Net Member
Be very careful when you're fighting Diablo. If you poison him and are in the Pandemonium Fortress when he croaks, you don't get quest credit.

I got bitten by this in A4H only 'cause of the need to keep resupplying reds and my Rabies was more effective than I thought.

Someone mentioned that it seems like Rabies doesn't last as long on Act bosses, and I'd have to agree with that observation. Something like 1/4 the time on hell diff.

Maybe Diablo wears Demon Skin of Amelioration. :D

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
I finally reached lvl 30. Venom kills much quicker than I was before. I am in Act IV. Shadow Master seems pretty cool, but she is all over the place on skills.

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
I have beaten Diablo now. I am running on 3/4 of the Arctic set right now. Furs, mitts, and binding. I also found an amulet with +1 to shadow skills. I am hoping that Venom's poison damage starts going up a lot more. I am still doing under 200 poison damage. That isn't going to cut it later on in the game.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Amidst the holiday rush, I haven't had much time to play this week, but I do have some earlier progress to report.

Emerald has beaten Radament in Act 2 NM. I'm finally running into some normal p8 monsters that can withstand my fully synergized lvl 21 Plague Javelin, with 6600 damage over 11 seconds. In Normal, only p8 Rot Walkers could survive one hit.

So far in NM, there are several types of undead that require 2-3 hits, which isn't too bad. I could lower the player setting, but for MF purposes I want to keep it at p8. Emerald's primary focus is MF. More than any other character, I've wanted to find the Gull Dagger for full-time use. I can't imagine a better zon build for that purpose. Simply throw javs, then weapon-switch to the dagger as the poison + merc do the job.

Success! I did find the Gull, and there's a weird little story about that. I couldn't find it at all in Normal. After I killed Baal, I set up for a Normal cow clear. As I entered Tristram to get the leg, I thought "Wouldn't it be great to find the Gull now?" I chucked a jav at a goat pack with Griswold. They all died quickly, and the goat boss dropped the Gull! Not even 20 seconds after thinking about it! It freaked me out. Wow.

I also found the Chance gloves, but they are only 28% MF. Still better for MF than any rare, but eventually I'll want +skills on the gloves. I've cubed 5 Perfect Topaz. As soon as I find a 3-socket helm and 4-socket armor (and make 2 more P topaz), Emerald will have 404% MF for chests and most kills. I'll have 429% when I find a Shael and make a Rhyme. Then I want to get another 168% on the merc, for a total of 597% on merc kills. That would rock.

Emeral Lin, level 54, Act 2 NM Rocky Waste

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Christmas Eve Status Update

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Slayer Stinky_Poo--Clvl61--Act5 NM
2. Crazy Runner Guy--Alexis--Clvl14--Act 1
3. Insane Wayne--Slayer Emerald Lin--Clvl54--Act2 NM

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74--Strychnine--Clvl30--Act5
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl50--Act3 NM

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl25--Act2
2. Quickdeath--Slayer Curare--Clvl52--Act2 NM
3. Falcon4eva--Slayer Vile_Jaws--Clvl49--Act1 NM

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo

Well, there's our update. I guess X-mas has got everbody busy. Hope it goes well for all!

Stinky_Poo got an early Christmas gift from a Travincial Council Member...

Golden Ceremonial Javelin!!!!!

I guess Stinky_Poo was a good girl this year!!!

Happy Holidays to All!!!!!!

Ekun