What's Your Poison Tourney Begins!

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Quickdeath said:
Question for azn_apocalypse: Noticed your mention of the prayer aura on your merc. Unusual choice! So, why did you choose the prayer merc?
Well, being a necro, an Act 2 merc makes sense b/c of the aura (benefits minions as well as the character). Given a choice of Act 2 mercs, I usually get the Defiance merc, but Prayer makes more sense for Pestilence b/c of his play style. Pestilence's play style is to constantly run around stabbing one monster after another, b/c it doesn't do any good to stab the same one after it's already been poisoned.

Thus, Pestilence is usually not within melee range for the monsters to attack him, so I decided it would be better for him to heal up while he runs from enemy to enemy than to have higher def for the split second where he is in melee range. His base defense is terrible anyway...with a str of less than 45 at the moment, he cannot wear any of the higher def armors. So he wouldn't benefit from Defiance that much anyway.

Blessed Aim would not have made sense b/c, having a lot of dex and points in PDagger, I have tons of AR and don't need more.

Even when I get to Act 2 NM, I might not even switch mercs. I've found the Prayer to be very helpful. I might possibly switch to Thorns merc, but definitely not one of the others. Might won't help me out (I don't deal physical dmg), and HF will get rid of corpses that I need to cast Poison Explosion.

Note to Exarkun: I used my wand of Lower Resist during Act 5 on several occasions b/c I didn't know it was against the rules, but it's immediately going off my character and into the stash the next time I play Pestilence.

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
Amazon
1. Exarkun--Stinky_Poo--Clvl22--Act2
2. Crazy Runner Guy - Alexis clvl 14 - Act 1
3. Insane Wayne
Anyway, I got some time earlier today between classes, and I started the chick. She's doing a lot of poison damage now (lvl 8 or 9 Poison jav), however, I'm just not happy the damage/second isn't going up. Poison Jav adds two seconds/slvl, and thus I could have some HUGE poison damage, but because the duration is so damn high, it would do squat. Anyway, I can' wait to get PJ at clvl 18.

crg

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Status Update after Day 3

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Stinky_Poo--Clvl28--Act3
2. Crazy Runner Guy--Alexis--Clvl14--Act 1
3. Insane Wayne--Emerald Lin--Clvl28--Act3

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74--Strychnine--Clvl16--Act1
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl46--Act1 NM

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl12--Act1
2. Quickdeath--Curare--Clvl17--Act1
3. Falcon4eva--Vile_Jaws--Clvl22--Act2

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO
3. azn_apocalypse--Slayer Pestilence--Clvl43--Act1 NM

Falcon4eva

Diabloii.Net Member
Time for another update! :D

VJ has reached lvl 27, and is currently chilling in act 3. I was determined to take him through the rest of act 3 today as well. I took 4 hours for the rest of act 2, so I guess it isn’t that bad.

After I was done and over with dry hills, far oasis was next. Boy, did I have much fun in the maggot lair! As you all know, for some characters, that place is just plain irritating. But not for VJ! Any rabies druid will know what I mean. Since rabies spreads by itself, the monsters lined up there were just so easy to kill! I’d take one bite, attack a bit to try to leech any lost life, bite again, and watch those behind die as well. :D Definitely entertaining.

Lost city was no challenge; any boss mob that VJ came across was easily dealt with. The viper temple was another fun place. Most of the rooms in there are usually crowded with snakes, skeletons, embalmed, unravelers and beetles. When I mean crowded, I DO mean crowded. I’d just rush in and take a bite, and watch the poison spread like wildfire. Seriously, it spreads very quickly. Rabies seems to be such a cheat, with its damage and range of damage.

When I was cruising through arcane sanctuary, I found out something interesting. Those lightning spirals are supposed to be immune to poison, and yet, when I bit it with rabies, it still took damage. I don’t know if it was my rabies damage, or my wolf’s attack. But I’m starting to think that rabies isn’t exactly poison damage, more like open wounds. Might be doing some testing with it later on.

Duriel himself was irritating. Whatever I did, duriel just kept chasing VJ, ignoring my merc. But he took the chance to attack my oak sage, creeper and wolf when he could. Maybe it’s because of my “steel†sword? Cause of the % of open wounds. I ran circles around him and he ignored my merc. I decided to go toe-to-toe with him, and see what happens. I could tank him, but whenever my spirit flew close to the fight, it’d die and I’d lose life. I tried to cast my spirit far away, but it still came floating by. When it finally stayed at one spot, it was much easier to deal with duriel. He dropped me crap though.

VJ’s rabies is now lvl 10, deals 590 – 697 poison damage over 7.6 second. It’s pumped up by a lvl 7 poison creeper, which does 23 – 25 poison damage over 4 seconds. VJ’s MF is up to 104% now, but still the number of magic and rares dropping hasn’t improved much. Merc has zero MF on him, but he does good damage. I’m planning to get VJ a barb merc to replace the current prayer one, since VJ needs a good tank.

I have a question though; is feral rage usable? As in, like using a normal attack. I’ve been using feral rage for a fair amount of time, and I’m still unsure if it’s allowed. Let’s say, I see a monster or two. Instead of using rabies to attack, I use feral rage to get rid of the two of them. Is that allowed? Or would I have to use rabies on the two monsters?

All in all, so far nothing has been too hard. I’d be expecting some trouble later on though.

Vile_Jaws(VJ)
Level 27 Rabies Druid
Currently in Act 3
Last quest completed: The Seven Tombs.
% of MF: 104%

PSYCHO

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
PSYCHO-On Charges, charges on an item are subject to the same "no elemtal damage" rule. Also, no use of charges for skills that are off limits. But, of course, having off-limits charges on an item doesn't mean you have to discard it, just don't use the charges...does that make sense?

Ekun
Make complete sense to me, Ekun :)

Alice_Cooper - lvl 14 - Act I
Completed Den Of Evil and Blood Raven. Now running Rakanishu for more levels then progressing to Cain. No Uniques but a lot of useful rares. Starting to equip MF gear and very much starting to worry about Duriel.

AlterEgo

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats Al on getting our first Slayer :clap:

Falcon4eva said:
I have a question though; is feral rage usable? As in, like using a normal attack. I’ve been using feral rage for a fair amount of time, and I’m still unsure if it’s allowed. Let’s say, I see a monster or two. Instead of using rabies to attack, I use feral rage to get rid of the two of them. Is that allowed? Or would I have to use rabies on the two monsters?
Based on prior posts, I would think it's only allowed until you get Rabies. IIRC, once you reach your "poison skill" you may only use that, or a normal attack.

That said, I still wonder about Hunger. It decreases damage, but increases AR - main purpose of course would be LL/ML.

I played Canis_rabis a bit, moving only to lvl16. Best find was a Nef from the Countess. I can imagine knockback being a decent mod for a rabies build.

Hiedran

Diabloii.Net Member
Falcon4eva said:
After I was done and over with dry hills, far oasis was next. Boy, did I have much fun in the maggot lair! As you all know, for some characters, that place is just plain irritating. But not for VJ! Any rabies druid will know what I mean. Since rabies spreads by itself, the monsters lined up there were just so easy to kill! I’d take one bite, attack a bit to try to leech any lost life, bite again, and watch those behind die as well. :D Definitely entertaining.

Lost city was no challenge; any boss mob that VJ came across was easily dealt with. The viper temple was another fun place. Most of the rooms in there are usually crowded with snakes, skeletons, embalmed, unravelers and beetles. When I mean crowded, I DO mean crowded. I’d just rush in and take a bite, and watch the poison spread like wildfire. Seriously, it spreads very quickly. Rabies seems to be such a cheat, with its damage and range of damage.
Yes, rabies was a wonderfully fun skill.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Curare
Clvl 27 Act III
Last quest completed: Golden Statue

I must agree with Falcon4eva. Rabies rocks. I loved it in the Arcane Sanctuary - bite the first guy in line, turn around and run back and watch them all turn green one by one. The crowded rooms in Tomb of Tal Rasha were not a problem -my druid just ran around biting scattered people. Five seconds go by and the floor is littered with bodies. My Merc goes around poking people and thinks he's doing the killing -this helps his leveling.

Duriel, though, was bad news. I was killed several times before I realized that I needed to turn off my poison creeper -the creeper was getting to Duriel before I was (as well as after my attacks) and apparently was delivering his 40 poison damage in 4 secs, wiping out my 600 poison damage in 6 secs!

Azn-apocalypse: I've been agonizing over the same choices of aura mercs. No auras seem to help this character. I got a defiance merc in Act II, but I wonder wheter a might merc will help more when I get to nightmare. My Grizzly/wolves will benefit (also my Ravens, lol! They don't benefit from Defiance!) I've seriously considered an Act I Rogue or an Act III fire merc.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Slayer Pestilence
Level 51
Act 2 NM, Lut Gholein WP

Pestilence killed NM Andy today. However, score one for the Maiden of Anguish, as I was slow and careless with the TP's, and because of that she did manage to kill me once. I don't think it ever would have happened in HC, since I would have been a lot more careful.

Anyway, I upgraded the merc's rare halberd into a bec-de-corbin, and it now does 21 to 133 damage, with a +40% bonus against undead. With amp damage on, the damage is amazing at this stage of the game.

Other goodies I found:

Plague Chain
Belt
Defense: 8
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 22
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x4ab52de4
+8 to Strength
+48 to Life
+9 to Mana
+35% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +11%
79% Extra Gold from Monsters

The Patriarch (unique Great Sword), self-repairing rare crowbill w/2 sockets, decent damage (once again, I find items that my char in the other tourney would have benefited from, sigh...)

The battle with Pittspawn Fouldog (Superunique) on Jail Level 2 was simply epic. There were no less than five TP's back to town to buy potions/resurrect my merc, and I must have cast about 200 bone walls over the course of the battle, which Fouldog and his minions would knock down almost as fast as I could cast them. Bone wall is getting to be pretty useful to block off those pesky ranged attackers for awhile. I just wish the walls would not die so quickly!

AlTheKiller

Diabloii.Net Member
Slayer Tact is now level 50 and has just entered Act3 NM. I've been playing on players 1, and will probably wait until the Bloody Foothills to catch up level-wise. Things have been easy with my beefed up SM as a tank. I especially love it when he uses Death Sentry ;). Basically I Mind Blast the crowd and pick away at them. With BoS I shoot really fast, and I'm now considering possible options for socketing my Goldstrike Arch, as it will probably be my end game weapon. I'm thinking I'll use the Amn Rune I found, but I also found a Dol, and the Monster Flee mod could be beneficial. Then again there's a simple Eth rune which could help in the long run, but I think I'll be okay with my BA merc.

Edit: As for Hunger, I would say no, mostly because it is comparable to Cobra Strike which is banned for the assassins.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
AlTheKiller said:
Played a lot more today and took Tact through normal. Did some Baal runs to level and ended up finding a Vipermagi Skin and Goldstrike Arch so it looks like for now at least I'll be a Sniper Assassin.
Wow, nice finds! Especially the Goldstrike Arch! That's an end-game weapon for sure. I didn't know it was possible for it drop in normal though...do you remember which monster you got it from?

AlTheKiller

Diabloii.Net Member
Well it looks like there is no :embarassed: smiley, so just pretend for now ;)

For whatever reason I call my bow a goldstrike arch just out of confusion. In actually its just a Blastbark that I upgraded to a gothic bow. It's been a crazy for me with finals this week, so cut me some slack here buddy :D

Here she is if you wanna check her out

Blastbark
Gothic Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 21 to 107
Required Dexterity: 118
Required Strength: 95
Required Level: 33
Bow Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0xecb38278
+5 to Strength
+114% Enhanced Damage
3% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Amazon Skill Levels
Required Level +5
+2 to Exploding Arrow (Amazon Only)

Sorry for the mixup

doctorgonzo

Diabloii.Net Member
it looks like Real Life is dominating my past week, and with giftmas shopping and work I'm pretty much out of time to play so far. I'll start when I can but if I end up taking any longer I may have to drop out.
Sorry, if I would have known I would be so busy I wouldn't have joined.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Status Update after Day 4

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Stinky_Poo--Clvl29--Act5
2. Crazy Runner Guy--Alexis--Clvl14--Act 1
3. Insane Wayne--Emerald Lin--Clvl28--Act3

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74--Strychnine--Clvl16--Act1
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl50--Act3 NM

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl16--Act1
2. Quickdeath--Curare--Clvl27--Act3
3. Falcon4eva--Vile_Jaws--Clvl27--Act3

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO--Alice_Cooper--Clvl14--Act1
3. azn_apocalypse--Slayer Pestilence--Clvl51--Act2 NM

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
Update. Strychnine is now lvl 26 and just finished act 2. I have always hated act 3 so it will be a struggle to do. My character is rather boring without Venom yet. I am really looking forward to lvl 30. Although I have to say, as someone who has never played a sin before, the shadow warrior is pretty nice, she is a good tank. I can't wait to get the shadow master.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Whooo....Act 2 NM is taking a lot longer than I expected. Whoever said earlier that it would be the toughest act wasn't kidding.

The undead in Act 2 are not poison immune, but their resistance to it is high enough to cause me problems. My poison explosion does about 4500-5500 listed damage. That's pretty good for NM difficulty, right? But I use it on the undead in the tombs, and their health bars barely move. I have to rely on the merc (still wielding the same weapon) to kill everything, which takes awhile when there's greater mummies resurrecting stuff all the time.

I switched over from the Prayer merc to the Holy Freeze merc. It turns out that with HF, monster corpses don't shatter all the time (just sometimes), which leaves me with some corpses to cast PExplosion on what I need to. The survivability of my party is also greatly increased. The problem right now is kill speed...too slow for my liking.

Haven't found any more great items, but I did just bump up my merc's MF about 110%, so hopefully I will begin seeing the returns soon.

Pestilence
Level: 54
Act 2 NM, Lost City WP

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Not much to report. Stinky_poo is at Clvl31. Runnin' through Act5. No great finds for me, but I did find a Bonesnap. Not sure if any of the Druids are interested. It doesn't really fit with Rabies, but the resists are nice.
Anyhoo, it's up for trade...

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Curare is a Clvl 32, but just starting Act IV. I have been on P8, which has has an effect on my playing speed, I guess. I am on MF +91% I have now found two (2) Death's Guard Sashes as well as a Snakecord! Also, the usual common set items, Cathan's this and Isenhart's that, a Shadowfang (unusable because of elemental adders) and a Sander's Superstition.

Curare has a Defiance Merc, an Slvl 2 Grizzly Bear, an Slvl 1 Oak Sage and an Slvl 10 Poison Creeper. What strategy for summons are the other druids pursuing? When you get to NM, what Merc will you pick? I'm leaning towards Might and wondering about HoW over Oak.

Azn-apocalypse: Your account on Act II NM is very interesting. What players setting are you on?

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Quickdeath said:
Azn-apocalypse: Your account on Act II NM is very interesting. What players setting are you on?
I ran Act 1 NM and the first half of Act 2 NM on players 6, but I downgraded it to players 5 because I was getting frustrated with fighting the undead (see previous post). After I made the players # switch, things seemed to speed up significantly.

I made several other changes today too, in terms of equipment. Pestilence's old weapon and shield are gone. Before, he was using a 2-socketed kris with an emerald and Tal rune (+115 poison dmg), and a rare gargoyle head with high block % but no +skills. I had been using these items since Normal diff, but after struggling through Act 2 I decided it was time for a change.

I switched the weapon to a Kris of Grinding (+43 maximum damage, based on char level), and then switched the shield. However, after I screwed up the Ancient's Pledge runeword by putting the runes in a 3-socket Artisan's shield (DOH!), I settled for a +29 all resists large shield purchased from Fara in Act 2. The weapon switch was a good thing, b/c now Pestilence can deal out physical damage (as well as poison). While it's not an amazing amount of damage, he can at least help out his merc in battles now, instead of standing around and waiting for poison to take effect like he used to.

The efficacy of my party in combat has gone up significantly since the switch. The undead in the tombs may be resistant to poison but their hit points (skeletons, zombies, ghosts) are generally low, so a few amped hits from my kris is enough to kill them. I even felt confident enough to go into some of the False Tombs and kill Ancient Kaa the Soulless (who wasn't a problem at all).

I ended up with a ton of gold and gambled this from Elzix: :xgrin:

Corruption Noose
Amulet
Required Level: 30
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xa3a6c6c3
+17 to Life
+61 to Mana
+5 to Light Radius
5% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Poison and Bone Skills

Great ammy, all of the mods are quite useful for me. (except light radius, of course).

I also killed Duriel today, putting Pestilence into Act 3. The battle wasn't that exciting. I was never in danger of death (although I died again, to Radament, again b/c of carelessness...this brings the total deaths up to two). I just kept TP'ing into Duriel's chamber until he would attack my clay golem instead of me or my merc. After he killed the golem, I would just resummon it and he would continue to attack it. All this while me and my merc were bashing the overgrown maggot. After repeating this sequence several times, and summoning clay golem over 30 times, Duriel died.

Slayer Pestilence
Level: 58
Act 3 NM, Kurast Docks WP

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
Great ammy, all of the mods are quite useful for me. (except light radius, of course).
Is that the role-playing aspect of things? "What a pity. I was beginning to enjoy the darkness." Otherwise, why is that not useful?

I find that I often have good use for some extra light in dark indoor areas, unless I play a sorcie with Cold Armor or an amazon that uses Slow Missiles to scout for enemies.