What's Your Poison Tourney Begins!

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Status Update after Day 1

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Stinky_Poo--Clvl22--Act2
2. Crazy Runner Guy(Will begin Tuesday, Good Luck on Finals!!)
3. Insane Wayne

Assassin
1. Gaz
2. Gabriel74
3. AltheKiller

Druid
1. AlterEgo--Canis_Rabie--Clvl12--Act1
2. Quickdeath--Curare--Clvl17--Act1
3. Falcon4eva--Vile_Jaws--Clvl22--Act2

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO
3. azn_apocalypse--Pestilence--Clvl29--Act3

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
Thanks a lot dude, I'm going to need it.

Also, since Psycho is also in this: I will not be playing any of my TWD characters until Tuesday also.

I can't wait till finals are over, for everyone's sake. Like I posted last week, I really think school work is taking a lot of time away from D2 (as it should) lately, and time away from D2 generally measn time away from the SPF.

crg

Falcon4eva

Diabloii.Net Member
Crazy Runner Guy said:
I can't wait till finals are over, for everyone's sake. Like I posted last week, I really think school work is taking a lot of time away from D2 (as it should) lately, and time away from D2 generally measn time away from the SPF.
Don't worry about it! I'm sure everyone here will understand and support you morally! Schooling is always more important than anything else! Once your finals are over, you can rock on with D2! (And maybe some liquor, if you're allowed :teeth: ) Don't compromise your studies for gaming. Always do it the other way. (Unless you live off gaming... It's a different story.)

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Pestilence
Level 33 Necromancer
A5: Harrogath

Summons: Clay Golem (6 points), Golem Mastery (2), Summon Resist (1)
Poison/Bone Skills: Poison Dagger (7), Poison Explosion (13), Bone Armor (1 point), Bone Wall (3 points)
Curses: Amplify Damage (1)
Merc: Act 2 prayer merc

The remainder of Act 3 and Act 4 were pretty easy, the CS especially.
The battle with Diablo was pretty exciting, however.

First, a warning. Beware! I found out for the first time that Diablo CAN cast Bone Prison on you. And, in my case, it took a long time to break out of it b/c poison takes a long time to cause damage. But for some reason, Diablo didn't attack me with lightning/fire while I was trapped, so everything turned out all right.

Anyway, Diablo spawns in. My initial strategy was hit-and-run: cast amp dmg on him, run up to him, stab him, and then run away to let the poison work. Meanwhile, my merc and golem would be constantly hitting him while slowing him down at the same time. I can run pretty fast b/c I have been wearing Treads of Chton (30% frw) since early Act 2, and I figured that running away from Diablo/around him would nullify the threat from his pink lightning and fire attacks.

I was right about that, but my strategy was ineffective because once I ran away Diablo would turn to my merc and golem and just absolutely slaughter them, usually in one burst of pink lightning. It didn't matter that he was slowed down b/c his lightning attack still did as much damage as it always does. And, since PDagger doesn't do nearly as much damage as an Amp'ed merc, I needed the merc alive to win the battle.

So I decided to tank Diablo to see what would happen. I would still amp damage/stab him but I would not run away. This way, he would attack me but leave my minions alone. I had no experience tanking with a Necro before, so I had no idea how effective I would be. It turns out that the battle became ridiculously easy after I used this tactic. Diablo's lightning/fire barely did any damage at all to me; I was able to heal myself solely with red potions. I had about 200 health, the merc's prayer aura, max block (75%), around 50 fire/lightning resistance, and a recastable Bone Prison that absorbs 65 damage. Plus, Diablo was slowed down a bunch, so that probably helped too.

Anyway, I learned that Necros can tank Diablo after all!

Oh, and Diablo dropped this:

Eagle Bane
Burnt Wand
...yada yada yada...
+** to Mana
Cold Resist +33%
20% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to Life Tap (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Bone Wall (Necromancer Only)
150% Damage to Undead
Level 1 Lower Resist (67/67 Charges)!!!!

Act 5 awaits...

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Confessions of a Rabid Druid

My update:

Curare, Lvl 20, Lut Gholein WP
Skills: Poison Creeper 10; Rabies 2; Lycanthropy 2; Werewolf 1 (2), Oak Sage 1, Spirit Wolves 1; Dire Wolves 1; Ravens 1 (2), Feral Rage 1
() = slvl after +skills from my rare Wolf Head.

Andariel (players 8) wasn't very impressed by my poison -as a matter of fact, most of the skeletons were nonchalant about it as well. Rabies is a weapon of mass destruction for demons and animals though, especially when they are packed close together.

So here are some questions and observations.
1. My poison Creeper minion has 33-34 poison damage over 4 secs (more with mutliple monsters) and my rabies contagion is 96-173 poison damage oevr 4.4 seconds. When a group of monsters is catching Rabies and standing on the mats of the creeper, do the poison damages add? Does one cancel the other? Do they each maintain their own duration or do they add or average? I've read the Tao of Poison, but combo of minion and player damage isn't mentioned.
2. At 10 mana per bite Rabies is mana intensive. I may need to do the unthinkable: add points to Energy!
3. Once I bite, there is not much for my druid to do for the next four seconds. Biting again (within the same monster clump) before the clock is up is futile, it doesn't even restart the 4.4 second clock.
4. There are many equipment mods and charms that I need not worry about. IAS barely affects Rabies at all. Of course, no elemental damage. + poison damage isn't much help either, it won't be spread with rabies. Mana and life leech is a low priority because my physical damage will never be high. +Dex is important only if I go for max block with shield - Rabies apparently has no AR (I think.) +Strength is not a priority either.
5. Normal should be doable - I suspect we'll all run into trouble somewhere in the middle of NM.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Quickdeath said:
1. My poison Creeper minion has 33-34 poison damage over 4 secs (more with mutliple monsters) and my rabies contagion is 96-173 poison damage oevr 4.4 seconds. When a group of monsters is catching Rabies and standing on the mats of the creeper, do the poison damages add? Does one cancel the other? Do they each maintain their own duration or do they add or average? I've read the Tao of Poison, but combo of minion and player damage isn't mentioned.
I think it's like this. If an enemy is poisoned, a second poison attack hitting it (no matter where it came from, minion, merc, or player) either (1) has no effect or (2) cancels the first poison attack and starts an entirely new poison timer.

This is determined by the poison dmg per frame of the two attacks. If the pdmg/frame of the second attack is higher than that of the first, it will do (2): cancel the first attack. If the pdmg/frame is the same or lower as the first attack, it will be (1) no effect.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

EDIT: @Quickdeath: For your equipment mods, enhanced damage or +min/max damage might work out. Werewolves hit pretty fast, so you'd be getting the benefit of more physical damage for each hit. And if you continue to hit your enemies after you use rabies, then you wouldn't be standing around for 4 seconds either while the poison spreads. I would be looking for enhanced dmg stuff as well, expect the necro is restricted to using daggers, which deal pathetic physical damage. Druids don't have that limitation.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Well,
Stinky_Poo is about half way through Act3. Clvl25. Only good finds are the 2 Cathan's Rings and just found Sanders Gloves. A couple ITH's, a couple ETH's and that's about it.
Startin' to get used to Poison Jav. Don't love the 26 or so second duration it takes to kill anything, but what can you do.

Good Luck All,

Ekun

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
The tourney has its first Slayer! :xsmile4:

Act 5 was easy, except for the Throne of Destruction. The Death Lords really hammered away at my merc and golem, and managed to kill the merc a couple of times. That was the only difficulty.

At some point a monster dropped this:

Plague Gutter
Halberd
Two-Hand Damage: 19 to 73
Durability: 28 of 55
Required Dexterity: 47
Required Strength: 75
Required Level: 15
Polearm Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xdfdd7150
+62% Enhanced Damage
+1 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +6%
Adds 1-3 cold damage over 3 seconds
47% Damage to Undead
+71 to Attack Rating against Undead

Very useful for the merc; I might upgrade it to exceptional when i get the runes to do so. The cold damage is something I need to assist the golem in slowing down enemies, and the +dmg to undead is nice b/c my poison dmg isn't really effective against them.

During Act 5 there were a few times where I used my newly-found wand with Lower Resist charges on it (have it on weapon switch), but it's often a tough call whether to keep the monsters amped, so the merc can do more damage, or hit them with LR, so my poison can do more damage.

Baal was ridiculously easy. Pestilence and his minions entered the Chamber, immediately cornered Baal by the wall, and proceeded to hack away at him. He just stood there and took it. He didn't teleport, send in his double/tentacles, he didn't even MOVE. In fact, I didn't quaff a healing potion or feed one to my merc during the entire battle. I'm not sure what happened, but none of his attacks did any damage while he was slowed down. It might be a bug. In any case, he fell easily and dropped Sander's Boots! Yes! Another useful item for a necro!

So btw all of us, we have Sander's Boots, Gloves, and Wand. Maybe we can arrange something so that we can put the entire set together!

Pestilence
Level 43 Necromancer
A1 NM

Summons: Clay Golem (6 points), Golem Mastery (2), Summon Resist (1)
Poison/Bone Skills: Poison Dagger (12), Poison Explosion (18), Bone Armor (1 point), Bone Wall (3 points)
Curses: Amplify Damage (1)
Merc: Act 2 prayer merc

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Time to introduce my new poison zon: Emerald Lin

Emerald is version 1.10. Currently she's level 28, resting on the Kurast Docks. Her companion is Mizan the Defiance merc, level 27. I've been playing p8 all the way, doing full clears. Skill selection has been very simple. I saved my first 5 points and have been pumping Poison Javelin at level 6, then Plague Javelin. Currently:

1 Dodge
1 Avoid
19 Poison Javelin
1 Lightning Bolt (prereq)
7 Plague Javelin

Aside from 1 point in Pierce, every future point will go into maxing both Poison skills. Back around level 10, I saw that no p8 normal monster could withstand a single Poisoning Javelin, not even Poison-resistant skeletons. Also, I learned that it's better to throw a poison javelin using Shift-click, and deliberately miss, to create a poison trail and lead the monsters through it. Much more efficient! By mid-Act 2, level 4 Plague Javelin (boosted by synergy) also was sufficient to kill most p8 monsters, much more quickly. No fancy tossing technique here, just hit em in the face, and watch the cloud expand! There's a casting delay there, but it's tolerable as Plague J gets stronger.

My weapon of choice is a low quality javelin. Cheap to repair, and totally sufficient for its purpose. Plus, I'm amused by the total disparity between my normal damage, and posion damage. Click for screenshot.

My mission is to equip as much MF as possible. After I chuck a javelin or two, I begin picking through the battleground for loot, checking urns/rocks etc... as the monsters die off beside me. Even if I absorb a few blows while sorting for treasure, a couple reds solves the problem. It's not too dangerous, and saves a lot of time. Mizan rarely needs babysitting, so far he's a capable tank. His armor and helm are also stuffed with topazes, and he scores a lot of kills as the poison saps their life. I found a decent rare voulge for him, and stuffed the two sockets with Elds, creating a formidable weapon against the undead, perfect for Act 2.

Even in Normal, p8 drops are fun, especially with decent MF (Emerald has 160% MF, Misan has additional 56%). Here's a nice fat drop from a maggot lair chest. Gotta love those, for some quick gambling cash at least. I've found about a dozen uniques so far, but nothing useful. A boss unraveller dropped the Nokozan Relic. I love this amulet for low level characters, too bad it's illegal because of the 3-6 fire damage! :lol: No big loss though, I'd rather wear my 20% MF amulet. And I like the fact we can't use other elemental damage, it makes for interesting item selection.

A stack of plague javelins took care of Duriel. I kept Mizan alive with a steady stream of reds and purples. No problem.

I understand that this is a SC tourney, but I'm placing stat points more HC style, into vitality. I don't see this charcter requiring too much dex or strength. Plus, I really hate dying, and hope to avoid it altogether. But even if I do, I'll still finish her, it'll just be less satisfying.

Emerald Lin, level 28, Act 3 Kurast Docks

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
So I started playing my Assassin, Deathblade, and almost got killed in the den of evil, so decided to stop and try again later this week. Currently level 6.

HBeachBabe

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
Baal was ridiculously easy. Pestilence and his minions entered the Chamber, immediately cornered Baal by the wall, and proceeded to hack away at him. He just stood there and took it. He didn't teleport, send in his double/tentacles, he didn't even MOVE. In fact, I didn't quaff a healing potion or feed one to my merc during the entire battle. I'm not sure what happened, but none of his attacks did any damage while he was slowed down. It might be a bug. In any case, he fell easily and dropped Sander's Boots! Yes! Another useful item for a necro!
nope, not a bug. when slowed, via weapon or clay golem, Baal's attacks (namely, his freezing snowplow and his fire nova) do no damage because while slowed the AI can't decide on a new attack. by the time it gets around to casting one, it's already busy thinking about the next so even though the graphic for the attack displays it's not really there. A necro with a moron & clay golem can take out Baal while eating a pizza

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane Wayne said:
Aside from 1 point in Pierce, every future point will go into maxing both Poison skills.
Don´t forget that you need 2 points for its prerequisites, too...

What is the main plan against poison immune critters? Merc?

Folks, watch out! Give Wayne an amazon and he´ll conquer the world...

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Status Update after Day 2

Amazon
1. Exarkun--Stinky_Poo--Clvl25--Act3
3. Insane Wayne--Emerald Lin--Clvl28--Act3

Assassin
1. Gaz--Deathblade--Clvl6--Act1
2. Gabriel74
3. AltheKiller

Druid

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO
3. azn_apocalypse--Slayer Pestilence--Clvl43--Act1 NM

Looks like most of us got a chance to play this weekend. I'm having a good time playin' an odd build for a change...

PSYCHO-On Charges, charges on an item are subject to the same "no elemtal damage" rule. Also, no use of charges for skills that are off limits. But, of course, having off-limits charges on an item doesn't mean you have to discard it, just don't use the charges...does that make sense?

Ekun

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
On Charges, charges on an item are subject to the same "no elemtal damage" rule. Also, no use of charges for skills that are off limits. But, of course, having off-limits charges on an item doesn't mean you have to discard it, just don't use the charges...does that make sense?
Thanks for the update Exarkun. But, sorry, I have a question!

Curses other than Amp Dmg are off limits for necros...does this mean that wands with charges of lower resist/attract/etc are off limits for them too? Are such wands allowed for other characters to use b/c they don't have a curses tree?

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Curses other than Amp Dmg are off limits for necros...does this mean that wands with charges of lower resist/attract/etc are off limits for them too? Are such wands allowed for other characters to use b/c they don't have a curses tree?
Nope. The off limits skills are off limits for all. Non-Necro chars can use AmpDam, but that's it for curses. If for some odd reason, another class decides to use a bow, any bow with bow skill charges are off limits, so on and so forth...

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
I have finally had a chance to start. My Assassin Strychnine is now lvl 16 and just finished the countess. I also found my first unique, The Gnasher. Oddly enough, I needed that for my grail. The Crushing Blow and Open Wounds on it are great. Still don't know what poison will be like. I still have fourteen more levels to go before I get to actually use poison damage. Right now I am just a very weak assassin.

AlTheKiller

Diabloii.Net Member
Status Update after Day 2

Amazon

Assassin
2. Gabriel74
3. AltheKiller--Tact--Clvl24--Act3

Druid

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO
Just adding myself to the list

AlTheKiller

Diabloii.Net Member
Amazon

Assassin
2. Gabriel74
3. AltheKiller--Slayer Tact--Clvl46--Act1 NM

Druid

Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo
2. PSYCHO
Played a lot more today and took Tact through normal. Did some Baal runs to level and ended up finding a Vipermagi Skin and Goldstrike Arch so it looks like for now at least I'll be a Sniper Assassin.

So far I have 10 Mind Blast (which I relied heavily on until level 30), 5 Claw Mastery, 5 Burst of Speed, 13 Venom, and 11 Shadow Master. The SM rocks, and with BoS, Venom, and a Blessed Aim merc I am deadly from afar.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Curare is now Clvl 25 in Act 2. Rabies is at slvl 8, synergized by Poison Creeper at slvl 10. I'm still on Players 8 though, so the going is slow. Most monsters take 3 to 5 seconds to die. But I just bite and walk on by.

Question for azn_apocalypse: Noticed your mention of the prayer aura on your merc. Unusual choice! So, why did you choose the prayer merc?