"What's Your Poison?!!?" SC Tourney Sign-up ifra

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
"What's Your Poison?!!?" SC Tourney Sign-up

“What’s Your Poison?!!?†Tourney

Poison Skills seem to rarely be used in this game, so here’s a chance to try some builds and skills that maybe you’ve never used.

Only 4 character types will be allowed:

Amazon—using Poison Javelin or Plague Javelin as primary attack
Assassin—using Venom as primary attack
Druid—WW using Rabies as primary attack
Necro—using Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion or Poison Nova as primary attack

Here are the class-specific stipulations:
Amazon:
Bow/XBow Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl18 weapon must be a Javelin used in conjunction with Poison Jav or Plague Jav

Assassin:
Martial Arts Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl30 weapon must be a claw(CC or CS) used in conjunction with Venom

Druid:
Elemental Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl18 any weapon can be used in conjunction with Rabies

Necromancer:
Curses Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl18 any weapon can be used in conjunction with P. Dagger, P. Explosion, or P. Nova
Summons are allowed, but NO SKELLIES, only golems

Rules & Regulations:
--This will be Softcore Tournament
--Maximum of 3 entries per character class will be signed up (So, total of 12 players)
--No Twinking
--The main purpose of this tourney is too see how far we can get using Poison, so no items, jewels, gems, runes or charms that add any other elemental damage to your attack. The only exception to this will be your summons and your merc.
--Any Merc is permitted. Mercs CAN have elemental damage other than Poison
--Except for the “off limits†skill trees any skill is permitted unless it adds non-Poison elemental damage to your attack
--Winner will be determined by reaching Matriarch/Patriarch. The player to do so at the lowest Clvl will be declared the winner.

Amazon
1. Exarkun
Assassin
Druid
Necromancer

For now, just sign-up in a reply with your User Name. I will create a new status thread once we begin.
Sign-up will be open until Friday at Midnight(Oregon time). As soon as sign-up is closed, those participating can begin.

Good Luck! Post any questions on this thread for the time being.

Exarkun

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
Eh, might want to resonsider poison nova necro. They are actually among the most powerful/safe pvm character there is.

And how are you going to deal with poison immunes if you limited your skill so much? A not viable char isn't gonna work for tourney.

AlterEgo

Diabloii.Net Member
Great idea! I love tourneys that are difficult. I haven't played a SC character since early 1.09, but what the heck, I'm in. :teeth:

I've got a PD necro going in another contest, so I'll try a rabies druid. Never done one of those.

How will I deal with poison immunes? Dunno. I'll figure it out when I get there. (Actually a combination of merc, bear, wand of lower resist, and running past them will probably be the plan. :lol: )

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
As for Poison immunes, I was thinking that most could rely on Physical damage as that is not restricted.

Question I have:
Does Rabies Damage add to your Physical damage?

doctorgonzo

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
“What’s Your Poison?!!?†Tourney

Poison Skills seem to rarely be used in this game, so here’s a chance to try some builds and skills that maybe you’ve never used.

Only 4 character types will be allowed:

Amazon—using Poison Javelin or Plague Javelin as primary attack
Assassin—using Venom as primary attack
Druid—WW using Rabies as primary attack
Necro—using Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion or Poison Nova as primary attack

Here are the class-specific stipulations:
Amazon:
Bow/XBow Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl18 weapon must be a Javelin used in conjunction with Poison Jav or Plague Jav

Assassin:
Martial Arts Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl30 weapon must be a claw(CC or CS) used in conjunction with Venom

Druid:
Elemental Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl18 any weapon can be used in conjunction with Rabies

Necromancer:
Curses Skill Tree is off limits
After clvl18 any weapon can be used in conjunction with P. Dagger, P. Explosion, or P. Nova
Summons are allowed, but NO SKELLIES, only golems

Rules & Regulations:
--This will be Softcore Tournament
--Maximum of 3 entries per character class will be signed up (So, total of 12 players)
--No Twinking
--The main purpose of this tourney is too see how far we can get using Poison, so no items, jewels, gems, runes or charms that add any other elemental damage to your attack. The only exception to this will be your summons and your merc.
--Any Merc is permitted. Mercs CAN have elemental damage other than Poison
--Except for the “off limits†skill trees any skill is permitted unless it adds non-Poison elemental damage to your attack
--Winner will be determined by reaching Matriarch/Patriarch. The player to do so at the lowest Clvl will be declared the winner.

Amazon
1. Exarkun
Assassin
Druid
Necromancer

For now, just sign-up in a reply with your User Name. I will create a new status thread once we begin.
Sign-up will be open until Friday at Midnight(Oregon time). As soon as sign-up is closed, those participating can begin.

Good Luck! Post any questions on this thread for the time being.

Exarkun

I rarely participate in these, but this one is neat. I'll give it a go with a Poison Necro, but with PE/Dagger, not Nova.

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
As for Poison immunes, I was thinking that most could rely on Physical damage as that is not restricted.

Question I have:
What do you mean, if rabies modify physical damage, or does it's poison damage applies when your physical damage connects? It dosen't modify your physical damage in anyway, just add the displayed poison damage to it. Like enchant.

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
I want in.

I'll take an Amazon Spot.

Why not make this HC? That would really test the mettle of people. IMO, HC tourneys make people PLAY better characters, and they end sooner, as people DIE.

Anyway, what are the rules for muling? We can mule off, but not on, correct?

Also, what are the rules for handing out prizes?

crg

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
NSXdreamer, I questioned Rabies damage b/c of something I read on D2ii.net...

"A biting attack that deals poison damage, usable in Werewolf form only. This damage isn't very high; you can add as much with a few poison charms, so not a very popular skill. It is a pre-req for Fury, the best Werewolf skill, so at least one point is necessary. Like all poison attacks in Diablo 2, multiple uses of it just reset the poison damage over time, rather than stacking up for bigger damage.

This skill is not useful in the game since you only get the elemental damage. It doesn't add poison to your normal attack damage, and the poison doesn't even add to your poison from other sources, such as weapon or charms."

Not sure what that meant or how it works...

Crazy Runner Guy,
I thought to do this in SC since the attack skills are so limited. Since the skills are limited, I think we'll have to come up with some crazy strategies to get past certain spots and trying new strategies sometimes causes some deaths.
As for muling...yeah, muling off is fine, just no muling on. Also, playing at any "players x" setting is fine.
As for prizes, I don't have any right now. This Tourney character will be my first SP character in about a year and i don't have anything for prizes.
I'm hoping for some donations. If I get some I'll come up with a grand prize, second prize, third prize and some good stuff along the way for "First to ..." prizes. I'll know more about that in a day or 2.

Ekun

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh yeah, d2.net was never updated for 1.10 I believe (besides a few lists). It simply means that you have to use rabies to apply poison damage, not other attacks. With synergy in 1.10 it's better, but not a whole lot (for untwinked that is, it can be pretty good with some expensive gear).

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, this looks like the perfect opportunity to break out that shadowsin I wanted to try, so count me in.

I'm willing to donate stuff I find with this character for the prize stash (only golds and greens)

One more thing, I have two other characters going in tournaments, one of which is a poison necro, so the going might be a bit slow.

Last question, are skills gained from class specific things OK, IE if I pick up a +3 to phoenix strike, can I use that?

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool. I like this idea. I'm having a blast with my current HC Tankazon character; but I must confess a growing urge to throw a freakin' javelin! :lol:
I've wanted to try a poison zon build to complete the spear/jav variants. I did lightning long ago and it was fun. I'd like to see what poison attacks are capable of. So I'll do something I've never done before, play in more than one tourney at once. I have a few days' lead in the Tankazon tourney so I'll split time between the two.

Chalk me up for a poison zon!

shermo

Diabloii.Net Member
i wont be around much in the next month, but when i'm back i'll be playing a lot. I'll take a venom sin, and i'll do it HC just for the heck of it.

name..... badeggs

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I will not join, just want to post that Venom has so low duration, that it acts almost like immediate damage. IMHO it doesn't fit the whole idea. And even with maxed venom, high level Assassin will probably do more physical damage than poison. Also I don't know why Assassins are restricted to claws when the martial arts tree is off limits.

BTW - great idea.

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
NSXdreamer- Thanks for the info.

Gaz-As for skills on items, if you're past clvl 30 with an assassin, you can only use Venom as your attack. In this tourney I'm not trying to limit skill point allocation but the skills themselves, so no go on using skills on items.

Insane Wayne-Good to have ya!

shermo-Sorry to say, all participants must play in SC.

Hrus-I agree that the Venom sin will be a very high powered char in this tourney . That's why I'm not playing one myself. I might not win, but I think a maxed out Plague Jav will look really cool spearing a group of baddies.
As for why I restricted them to claws, I did it to balance the Jav restriction for the Zons.

Thanks for the input, all,

Ekun

Exarkun

Diabloii.Net Member
Updated Sign-up Sheet

Amazon
1. Exarkun
2. Crazy Runner Guy
3. Insane Wayne
Assassin
1. Gaz
2. shermo(If Softcore)
Druid
1. AlterEgo
Necromancer
1. doctorgonzo

5 spots still open...

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
What no poison Barbs???

I have far to many builds to play with and no time to do that in, I will have to pass but I like the idea for your tourney.

Oh and for the Assassin you may want to exclude bladefury as well. Make them fight melee :xdrunk:

And for necro Venom runeword with 20 in Pdagger rest in golem and golem synergies = great melee venom build. :xrollseye:

A well played rabies druid can be very powerful, even without the added charge bug synergy.
Edit just for a hint:
Current Skill Level: 20
Attack: +183 percent
Poison Damage: 4251-4585
over 11.6 seconds

which is about 400 damage per second. only 42 skill points used.

As for amazons poison/plague javalin with pierce all I have to say is Nice! :thumbsup:

note to all remember rates add durations average some charms will lower your overall damage. (venom users for get that rule ).

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:
Gaz-As for skills on items, if you're past clvl 30 with an assassin, you can only use Venom as your attack. In this tourney I'm not trying to limit skill point allocation but the skills themselves, so no go on using skills on items.
I don' understand - Venom is castable skill as Enchant, you cannot use it - you have to use normal attack at least to deliver poison damage when your weapons is "Venom enchanted". It gains that sexy green colour.

Exarkun said:
Hrus-I agree that the Venom sin will be a very high powered char in this tourney . That's why I'm not playing one myself. I might not win, but I think a maxed out Plague Jav will look really cool spearing a group of baddies.
As for why I restricted them to claws, I did it to balance the Jav restriction for the Zons.
Ekun
??? IMHO they will be low powered. I have an untwinked furysin with maxed Venom and she can't kill anything with just BFury and Venom. And she delivers more poison damage than normal attack assassin with Venom (She hits quite faster). She isn't able to kill Hell Blood Raven and that's the point I've ended playing her. 500-600 poison damage over 0,4 s is not so much. 6000 poison over 10 sec (plague javelin) is much better imho with throw and run tactic - and it will poison a lot of enemies, not just one.

Hiedran

Diabloii.Net Member
Exarkun said:

Question I have:
Having played a Rabies Druid in the TWD II tourney, I can answer this. (Got to H Ancients.)

No. (I debate whether the physical blow even has to land to trigger rabies, as I've managed to get rabies off and not hurt myself when IM'ed.)

On your char display with rabies selected, you see two damages: weapon on top, rabies on bottom.

Fully synergized Rabies is powerful enough to kill handily through NM, and then starts requiring assistance beyond that. Grizzly and a merc were usually enough, but sometimes I went in with Fury.

Rabies does not reset if you bite multiple times. It's bite, wait x seconds, bite again. If there's a lot of enemies, sometimes you can get two or three different sets of infections going. (Bite one enemy, poison spreads to nearby enemies.)

I'd love to discuss more on a Rabies Druid, but I don't know if that would give the druids an unfair advantage. Plus they can get some ideas from the Rabies strategy guide.

As far as the tourney goes, Act II will be the most hated act around. Most skellies develop poison immunity (and when they don't they've got 75% resist), and zombies tend to have 75% resist. Greater mummies aren't as bad, but they've got all those skellies around them. And can't forget about those poison immune maggots, either.

Porius

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm playing a Venom Assassin and a Plague Javelineer in the TWD. They are a lot of fun.

My Venomancer died in that tourney, though, *sigh*

Alas, I won't have time to play in this one, though it is a great idea.

Porius

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a rules clarification: so we can't use ANY item that adds non-poison elemental damage? Therefore, some uniques would automatically be unnusable?

Anyway, I see your argument about SC, even though I personally see a small taint in characters when they die.

I'm still in.

Anyway, how are we going to end this? When everyone retires, gets stuck or makes mat/Pat? We should come up witha sysytem of point to gauge progress, maybe similar to the TWD style (read: copying ideas from a very well run tourney).

crg