Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's your advice on this Pit map?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JKS, Aug 1, 2010.

1. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

What's your advice on this Pit map?

Well I have done my fair share of pit runs but never until today I got a map so perfect:

In short: 4-6 boss packs are often at the entrance of lvl1 and to make it sweeter there are 2 shrines at the beginning and the end of the packs and usually one of them is a monster shrine. And on top of that there are usually no archers.

I am considering just running these packs and never waisting the time to get to lvl2. What would you do?

PS: No great finds yet, but the experience is sweet.

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Re: What's your advice on this Pit map?

That seems fine.

But, you should time yourself: (1) how long does it take to get to level 1 (call it A seconds), and (2) how long does it take to get to level 2 (call it B seconds).

Since level 1 has 2-3 times as many boss packs as level 2, we'll just say it has 2.5 times as many. Then, it's only worth it to bother with level 2 if

2.5B < A.

3. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas IncGamers Member

How long are your runs without going to lvl 2 , and how long when clearing lvl 2?

4. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Just measure your seconds per boss pack killed through testing and you'll have your answer.

5. SnickerSnack

In case it's not obvious, this is a bit better than the answer I gave. If covering level 2 results in fewer seconds per boss-pack, then go with that. Otherwise, don't.

I think it's most likely that travel is a bigger factor, but the time it takes to actually kill that boss-packs is important too.

6. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

Time to run it for a week and see what drops, that's what I'd say.

7. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Well, while testing my run times I got to the conclusion that running the first bosses only should be more profitable. But just when doing the last test run of lvl2 I got a CHAM, which is a very nice way of the game to point out that with runes, you can't really have a strategy besides killing monsters able to drop HR.

Since my second best rune find is OHM, I was not even considering what to do with a Cham.

What would be your vote: Doom, Pride, wait for another for BotD?
    I do not trade so I might never get the other ingredients for either of the three, but if given the choice I am leaning towards Pride - most realistic to make, really adds damage (is the dmg from Doom significant for a cold dmg dealer like Meteorb Sorc?).
    I also think that my barb/pal is better off with Oath + Merc Pride, than with BotD and no help from concentration, am I right?

8. SnickerSnack

I've always been of the opinion that Pride is pretty much useless. A Reaper's Toll will do much more for your melee character's damage output than another 285% skill damage. Remember, that bonus stacks with str/skill/mastery/fanaticism/etc not on top of it, whereas the bonus had from Decrepify stacks on top of said bonuses.

The only exception is if you really want to use Dracul's Grasp. In that case, you really don't want the merc to wield Reaper's, so in that case, Reaper's is not better than Pride, though, I'd still probably rather use Obedience for maximum damage output. With Pride, the merc's damage will be quite low since it has no on-weapon enhanced damage.

9. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

I haven't used Reaper's Toll when I had it before my last quit of Diablo several years ago, but you are absolutely right. However there is one other use of Pride:
    Skelliemancer with:
    Beast
    Oath on the swith (for HoW)
    Might merc with Pride
    Necro is casting AD.

In this case I can't think of better weapon than Pride.

The dissadvantage is that it will be used for just this build and not on the many mellee builds that I have or plan to have.

10. SnickerSnack

:grin:

I guess that depends on your goal with the character. If you want kills per second, then Obedience is much better than Pride. You only need one corpse to start the CE chain, so the biggest factor in kill speed is how soon you can get that first corpse. I think that Obedience, with its high damage and 40% CB, will perform much better than Pride. But, if you have the runes, then Infinity is probably better still.

Pride is flashier looking, though.

Also, using Oath on switch doesn't work the way you're expecting it to. The HoW poofs when you switch weapons.

11. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

You really made me give up the idea of Pride (moreover I have already Eth Elite Obedience which is the current weapon of my mercs).
    So far no chance to make an Infinity, but this is definately a great weapon I want to have someday. (I wish I could break that Cham in Bers).

Doom doesn't seem that great too - my cold sorc slows the monsters anyway and she is using HF merc. Maybe she can benefit from the -60 to cold resists of Doom, and replace the merc with Prayer merc, but this somehow doesn't seem like much of a help.

So I guess I should just feel satisfied for finding a very rare rune and hope for a miracle to get another one for BotD which will definately be worth it.

(I am starting to think I might even use it for its CBF mod, jeez).

12. SnickerSnack

Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but it was going to happen sooner or later anyway.

Unfortunately, Cham just isn't all that useful. I'd probably make a Doom if I found a Cham. And then if I found another Cham, I'd make another Doom in a different base. :) I don't think I could hold onto one hoping for another to drop. Or, I'd trade it to someone who already had a Cham.

13. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

Pride probably makes an awesome Iron Golem for a Skelliemancer:) That is one sick way to spend runes.

14. SnickerSnack

Yeah, it does. That's basically its only use.

But IGs do poof sometimes. Plus, if you die....

I like my Insight Golem just fine. It's great for spamming CE, and I can just make a new one if he dies/poofs.