What's wrong with tomb reaver?

smunky

Diabloii.Net Member
What's wrong with tomb reaver?

This is a merc realated question. When people suggest merc gear no one ever mentions tomb reaver, but i found one yesterday and the res, mf , speed and dmg all seem to point to a good merc weapon. Only downfall is the lack of life leech but some amns in the sockets can fix that. So in short: why is tomb reaver not a good merc weapon?

Im a meteorb mfer with a holy freeze merc if that effects it.

d3mon

Diabloii.Net Member
well there are better options, but I guess tomb reaver is rarely suggested is just because of its rarity (TC 81). It is a very decent merc weapon indeed.

ventilator

Diabloii.Net Member
Tomb Reaver is not a good merc weapon for 2 reasons:

1. It's damn rare.
2. If you are lucky enough to find one, put it on a WW Polebarb where it belongs.

Other than that, I actually think that PHM from Bonehew or CTC Decrep, IDT, and DS from Reapers make those weapons actually better choices than TR for most occasions.

smunky

Diabloii.Net Member
So rarity is the only problem with it? Its kinda bad so it prolly wont trade well, only 2 sockets, crappy ed and mf. Also, would amn runes be a good choice? If not wat else?

edit: i also have him using a GA so when his resists hit max they go to 90, very usefull in hell. However, he seems to get smacked around by pindle and crew so should a keep a shaft in my stash and switch depending on what types of runs im doing?

ventilator

Diabloii.Net Member
smunky said:
So rarity is the only problem with it? Its kinda bad so it prolly wont trade well, only 2 sockets, crappy ed and mf. Also, would amn runes be a good choice? If not wat else?

edit: i also have him using a GA so when his resists hit max they go to 90, very usefull in hell. However, he seems to get smacked around by pindle and crew so should a keep a shaft in my stash and switch depending on what types of runs im doing?
With two Shael it would hit the next BP if my understanding is correct, but that's not worth the effort imo since the weapon hits the 3rd fastest BP anyway. I think dual amn will go a long way at keeping your merc alive while.

Pindle will smack your merc around regardless, I've seen the pack 1-hit-killing lvl30 Shadow Masters. Their charge coupled with nasty mods like ES Cursed is just lethal.

smunky

Diabloii.Net Member
So does duel amned Tomb Reaver, gaze and GA sound good? All he is used for is tanking, meph rapes him in seconds with only 49 res all and pindle's crew can **** him if they keep charging him. Will shaft make a diffrence or is it simply a just a matter of getting repeatedly charged, or not?

-Quill-

Diabloii.Net Member
Tomb Reaver Rocks

smunky said:
So does duel amned Tomb Reaver, gaze and GA sound good? All he is used for is tanking, meph rapes him in seconds with only 49 res all and pindle's crew can **** him if they keep charging him. Will shaft make a diffrence or is it simply a just a matter of getting repeatedly charged, or not?
Tomb Reaver rocks. I traded one for Ber and keep the other on my merc.

He hasn't died from pindle and crew in god knows how long, i guess since lvl 84. His 3 socket Tomb is still clean too!

My HF merc at lvl 93 wears this basic gear.
Clean Tomb Reaver
12% life leech Crown of Thieves
24% Leviathan. He rocks pindle and can take em all on.

Don't under estimate tomb reavers enhanced damage to undead and ar. And those reanimated don't die easy.

tl998

Banned
To keep my merc alive while he protects me from Pindle and his minios, I spam glacial blast. This freezes those critters, and then you can frozen orb to your heart's conetnet until the critters unfreeze. Rinse and repeat.

wind

Diabloii.Net Member
-Quill- said:
Tomb Reaver rocks. I traded one for Ber and keep the other on my merc.

He hasn't died from pindle and crew in god knows how long, i guess since lvl 84. His 3 socket Tomb is still clean too!

My HF merc at lvl 93 wears this basic gear.
Clean Tomb Reaver
12% life leech Crown of Thieves
24% Leviathan. He rocks pindle and can take em all on.

Don't under estimate tomb reavers enhanced damage to undead and ar. And those reanimated don't die easy.
I have a similiar setup with my HF merc except he's using a rare 1220 defense balrog skin. Actually found the TR off of pindles group when I was level 80 or so with 3 sockets and high end enhanced damage to boot.

I have to admit, I am temped to make a WW barb with it.

ventilator

Diabloii.Net Member
I do have a tomb reaver WW barb lvl ** on HCL. I started him before I had the weapon but always had it as his end-game weapon in mind. Very standard build

20 WW
20 Mastery
20 BO
20 Shout
1 Zerk
1 Warcry
1 Increased Speed
1 Increased Stamina
1 Iron Skin
1 Nat Resi
Prereqs

Upped Um'd Shaft, Arre, Rare Prisma ML skill ammy, String, LoH, Raven, Prisma Dualleecher, Rare FRW dual 30+ resi MF boots. When I want to MF, I swap the Shaft for Skullders, that's about it.

A problem than will occur is fairly low AR (not vs undead). You can make up for that with AR/AR+ED charms and socketing the weapon with a Jah. Furthermore you'll want to socket an IAS jewel or a Shael to hit the last WW breakpoint. For the last socket I went with a 33%ED 10%MF jewel. Maybe I'd build him differently next time, but back then not every single equipment option was open to me (still isn't) good thing is he has >200 stacked resists, which would otherwise be very hard to achieve with 45% DR and without shield.

Sorry for going off topic.