Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whats wrong with my skellimancer??

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by viruszero, Mar 3, 2004.

1. viruszero

viruszero IncGamers Member

Whats wrong with my skellimancer??

Ok I was reading the skellimancer bible guide here and made a mf skellimancer. In the guide, it said the skellimancer should be able to solo hell at level 5x. I am currently about lvl 53 and getting owned in act 3 nm. My skeletons dont seem to do any damage at all.

Here are my stats:

20 Skeleton Mastery
    20 Skeleton Warrior
    1 Amp Dmg
    1 CE
    5 Decrepify
    10 PN
    1 CG

75 strength
    base dex
    200 vit
    70 energy

I tried mfing mephisto but it took me over ten minutes and over three deaths. What is wrong? I have a might mercinary...

How can I raise my skeletons damage without sacrificing mf?!?!

2. plasteredkittylizard

plasteredkittylizard IncGamers Member

What equipment are you using?

3. Starkey

Starkey IncGamers Member

I dont understand why so much mf, my old 96 hc summoner could found alot with 200mf without sacrificing any skills i didnt even switch didnt see the need.

4. viruszero

gull
    chance guards
    goldwrap
    breast plate with topazes
    rhyme grim shield
    death mask with topazes
    12% mf rings
    31% mf ammy

perhaps im concentrating on mf too much? I dont think that effects my skelletons killing speed though :(

and i dont have enough money or stuff to buy anything better :(

5. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

+skills= +damage on skelies

too much mf imho and also meph isnt that good for a summoner w/o enigma try the pit in hell or lvling up in nm baal runs

6. plasteredkittylizard

plasteredkittylizard IncGamers Member

I was going to take the other route and suggest not enough dr / resists, actually....

7. memememe173

Ya ok

what I ment was

+skills=+damage

Too much mf IMHO replace with some +skills and some resist gear as DR isnt that needed with all the tanks

8. ender11782

ender11782 IncGamers Member

You should have at least +3 or +4 to summoning skills, IMO. Also, you didn't mention it, so if you haven't already, put a point in summon resists.

9. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

As the others have said your problems are mostly because you don't have enough plus skills. You seem to be using level 20 RSW and 20 SM and these will be quite weak with low AR, damage and low hp. Also your skellies will have the same level as you when summoned so they are only level 53 in the chance to hit equation and won't be hitting much and will get hit a lot themselves. So if you gain a few more levels you should find doing this easier anyway and of course your might merc will get stronger too so the skellies will hit more often and harder ...

It should not be hard to get a good circlet, amulet and wand and necro head with plus skills. At your level you could get upto +3 summoning on all those although that might be a bit easier later on and plus +2 is very practical. That would make your skeletons +28 RSW with +28 SM and they will be a lot tougher and have higher AR and damage. If you have gear like that try running Meph with those skeletons and I think you'll find it a breeze.

If you want to have better skeletons while wearing a lot of mf gear a good trick is to "buff " them up. To do this put on the best plus skills gear you have when you summon up your army and the skellies will be strong, then go back to your stash and put on your mf gear. You will lose a skellie or two but the ones left will be big and tough and importantly hit harder and more often ... so they kill fast and you won't lose many of this tougher variety.

So with a bit of planning you can have the best of both worlds :thumbsup: .

Happy hunting.

10. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

Maybe I guided you in the wrong direction with the "bible" saying owning hell @ 54, but that is what level I solo'd hell at (started hell act1 @ 54).

When magic finding at low levels (and even higher levels) you should NEVER sacrifice damage for mf.

200 is a great mf number, and is easily attainable.

Here are some good, cheap options for mf, without sacrificing speed:

Gull dagger - 100mf
    Tarnhelm - possible 74% mf (p.topaz perfect) and +1 skill
    2x nagelrings - 15-30% each

Assuming 25% nagel's, that alone is: 224%mf
    This would still allow you to get +summoning gear on your armor / ammy / shield.

If you have a great weapon your using (good +skills) then don't use the gull and use maybe a rhyme shield, even sexier if in a necro head (mine that i used was a +2 warrior / +1 clay golem w/ 2 sockets).

Also, have you played with necro's before? Maybe it's a lack of understanding your guys strengths / weaknesses.

NM is a crappy place to mf ihmo for a summoner. Meph is the real winner in NM, and I hate running him with my necro.

Keep trucking through the game, hit the pits hard, and call it a day.

g

edit: Jojeck nailed it on the head.

11. viruszero

whoa. Never thought of putting rhyme in a necro head! hmm sounds good. I do have this wand called the cairn shard:

Cairn Shard
    +1.25 Life per clvl
    +1.25 Mana per clvl
    10% Faster Cast Rate
    30% Faster Hit Recovery
    Replenish Life +5
    +1 to Necromancer Skills
    +2 to Summoning Skills (Necromancer Only)

perhaps that would do some good?

Now just to get and Arm of Leoric and a +3 to summoning skills ammy

Yes I have played a necro before but this was when I first started diablo. I quicky decided that he sucked. Now hes improved. I also never knew you could buff them. I thought when you changed the skill amount, it changed the powerfullness of the skellies.

Also, is it safe to use teleport with this guy? cause i have a ammy that gives +3 to shapeshifting and 22 teleport charges and i was wondering if i was too weak to teleport. (also how much is that teleport ammy worth in the case that i dont use it and wanna sell it)

thanks!

12. FinalGodSlayer

FinalGodSlayer IncGamers Member

In single player I've recently switched my MF gear (much the same list as you) to be all high skills stuff. I was stuck slogging slowly through act 2 hell with my lvl 81 skellimancer.

The difference is staggering - we just walk through boss packs like butter. Rather than magic items, most stuff drops with sockets, which is nice because in single player I have a plentiful supply of runes.

However I intend to return to my MF gear once I've cleared through some acts to get to baal. I use 10 points in summon resist and enough to raise 6 revives without any +skills items. I also maxed out Corpse Explosion early on in hell, this made life SO much easier and quicker.

Something I've found is that my zoo is really just a wall to give the might merc a chance to do a lot of the killing - for ages I was using Malice runeword in a lance, and this was a great killer, though it's not that high damage, the 'prevents heal' and 'open wounds' took bosses to bits. Give all your best eq to the merc, and keep him levelled up at all costs!

I don't see the use of poison nova in your build? how effective do you find it?

13. pliu

pliu Banned

Skeletons stats were set up at the time when they were rise from the corpses. So you can put that in the weapon switch.

14. memememe173

Cain Shard is better then King Leoric

15. gvandale

opinion or fact?

I personally like arm, even with it's r3tarded bone wall.

:thumbsup:

16. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

Just to add to / echo a few points to the already good information posted here.
    -You may want to spend some time levelling up to get your merc a bit stronger. He will be the centre piece of your army (plus he can wear skullders :D ). Hit up some NM Baal runs and you'll level quickly. One evening should get you into the 70's.

-From experience, hell meph runs are no fun with out good summon resist. Even my well equipped lvl 90 summoner rarely mfs mephy due to the fact there are more viable alternatives. I prefer to run Baal and the Worldstone rather than Mephy to be honest.

-Run the pit (tp to outer cloister, run back into the yard and it's the hole in the ground outside the monastary), you will find good stuff here.

-CE is your friend.

-Plus skills are a must. I have +4 all and +2 summons in MF gear (tals helm, armor, belt, ali, mf rings, mf ammy and charms). I would even consider this a bit thin for +skills, but it works.

17. memememe173

little bit of both

18. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

I was going to post help here, but the posts here are already fantastic. The only possible criticism is that there's too much! Great forum...

19. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Skellies

I think 10 PN doesnt really add much at all, if your focus is skellimancers.

I did the (cookie cutter?) skellimancer and it's a blast. I have:

20 RS
    20 SM
    20 Mages
    20 CE
    1 in all the curses except the left column
    1 in rest of the summon stuff except fire golem. I don't really like revives, they are even dumber than me, so I just have 1 in there (which is a lot with +skills).

The max CE really helps. Wait until 1 monster drops, then blow them all to pieces... or future recruits :D

I also use a might merc which helps a lot.

20. gvandale

The purpose of PN is to stop monster's health regeneration, which in hell can be quite fast.

Try taking down DClone without lvl 30'ish+ skellies / mastery and you'll see what I'm talking about. PN will stop monster health regeneration while doing damage to boot. PN should really be maxed if you ask me.

Max CE is fine and dandy, but the mana cost is a bit steep for me. Not to mention the damage doesn't scale. While the radius is sick and all, it's payoff just isn't there for me.

And IHMO, mages suck. They are annoying. I had lvl1 mages / revives on my first necro, and if I would have known then what I know now, I wouldn't have touched mages / revives or any other golems other then clay.

My next project is to go all poison, then max warriors / mastery.

g