Whats wrong with Holy Freeze mercs?

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
Whats wrong with Holy Freeze mercs?

I've had one all day and his aura hasnt turned on yet. Are they seriously bugged?

Sharaz

Diabloii.Net Member
where were you fighting at? was he threatend, or was he killing everything he sees with one hit and never being touched?

they only kick it on when the action deems it necessary.

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
Sharaz said:
where were you fighting at? was he threatend, or was he killing everything he sees with one hit and never being touched?

they only kick it on when the action deems it necessary.
he's lvl 23, I'm lvl 24 and trying to get 25 in act4 chaos sanctuary

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
Occult said:
he's lvl 23, I'm lvl 24 and trying to get 25 in act4 chaos sanctuary
moved on to act5. He's killing things in 1-2 hits, but he also gets killed in 1-2 hits.

HardyTarget

Diabloii.Net Member
Occult said:
moved on to act5. He's killing things in 1-2 hits, but he also gets killed in 1-2 hits.
There's EDIT -button, use it instead of posting 2 or more times in a row.
Are you sure you have the right merc?

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
HardyTarget said:
There's EDIT -button, use it instead of posting 2 or more times in a row.
Are you sure you have the right merc?
Sorry. Ya, hes an Act II Defensive merc, and he hasnt had any other aura. The things in the beginning of act 5 that have the ranged root spike attack kill him in 2 hits :(

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member
Occult said:
Sorry. Ya, hes an Act II Defensive merc, and he hasnt had any other aura. The things in the beginning of act 5 that have the ranged root spike attack kill him in 2 hits :(
He's going to need some life leech gear if you don't have some already.

What sort of EQ does he have on right now?

Oh yea, and if you hired him in normal, he's a defiance merc.

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
I got rushed through to NM, so hes from there. Hes just got some rares, nothing good. This is my only char, so I dont have anything to trade for low lvl uniques. He also gets crap for xp. Where should I be lvling him to get him from 23-25 so he can get xp from baal?

Thanks everybody!

HardyTarget

Diabloii.Net Member
Occult said:
I got rushed through to NM, so hes from there. Hes just got some rares, nothing good. This is my only char, so I dont have anything to trade for low lvl uniques. He also gets crap for xp. Where should I be lvling him to get him from 23-25 so he can get xp from baal?

Thanks everybody!
IMO, you should lvl him on normal for a few levels so he can actually wear some a litter higher equipment (gets more str etc).
Could you tell what the merc is wearing so people might be able to provide some help in equipping him. I might have some things for him.

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
HardyTarget said:
IMO, you should lvl him on normal for a few levels so he can actually wear some a litter higher equipment (gets more str etc).
Could you tell what the merc is wearing so people might be able to provide some help in equipping him. I might have some things for him.
Helm: Gemmed Full Helm (26 def)
+24 life
+1-16 lightning dmg

Chest: eth rare brest plate (133 def)
+17% fhr
+1 str
+2 life
2 empty socs

Weapon: rare trident
11-23 dmg
+10% ias
+28% ed
+4 max dmg
+30 AR
1-4 fire dmg
+10% cold res

I'm doing worldstone now, and I'm getting great xp, but hes not. guess mercs just lvl slowly.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, if you want a good piece of advice, ditch the merc for the moment. When you're level44, you can buy a lvl44 nightmare holyfreeze act2 mercenary, that is a lot quicker and easier than leveling him from 23 up.

I do it that way all the time, and from that level you can easily equip him with a good rare weapon (gamble or buy a decent magic one) and some cheap unique armor and helm. Duriels (few pgems) and Gaze (a bad one goes for a few pgems too) work little wonders, even with a sucky weapon.

This way you get a cheap higher level merc in a short time that cannot be frozen, has life leech, damage reduction, nice defense and good resistances.

stkrause

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually I would level without the merc to level 47 and get a new merc. This will spare you from much leveling work.

If you really want to level the merc, best place for level 23 would be Kurast to Travi or maybe beninning of act 4. He won't get much Exp in Act 5.

*stkrause

edit: mmmh, too late :rolleyes:

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
so I shouldnt worry about lvling him up til I get to lvl 44? I'm guessing the lvl is based on your lvl, and 44 is max?

stkrause

Diabloii.Net Member
You can't get a merc that is of a higher level than you are, and 47 (I think) is max in NM act 2.

*stkrause

Occult

Diabloii.Net Member
ah, ok. thanks! I still wondering why his aura hasnt turned on yet. I did the throne room up to the last mob pack and nothing:(

TheAlfheim

Diabloii.Net Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt there a minimum level requirement for the merc and the aura?

The other thing to bear in mind is that the merc will only get experience if you or he makes the kill. If you're going through baal runs with other people, you will get exp, but the merc wont (again, unless you or the merc does the kills).
The most effective way to level a merc is by yourself.

I agree with the other guys..... wait a few levels to get the merc. Leveling mercs has to be one of the most tedious jobs......

Cheers,
TheAlfheim

marshaldwm2

Diabloii.Net Member
Occult said:
ah, ok. thanks! I still wondering why his aura hasnt turned on yet. I did the throne room up to the last mob pack and nothing:(
Dude, he is level 23, and Holy Freeze is level 24. The level requirements for mercs do not change at all from the standard character.

I would sugggest going back to normal, leveling your character a bit and then buying him again.

stkrause

Diabloii.Net Member
marshaldwm2 said:
Dude, he is level 23, and Holy Freeze is level 24. The level requirements for mercs do not change at all from the standard character.
Actually, holy freeze is level 18.

*stkrause

JesusbeJesus

Diabloii.Net Member
TheAlfheim said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt there a minimum level requirement for the merc and the aura?

The other thing to bear in mind is that the merc will only get experience if you or he makes the kill. If you're going through baal runs with other people, you will get exp, but the merc wont (again, unless you or the merc does the kills).
The most effective way to level a merc is by yourself.

I agree with the other guys..... wait a few levels to get the merc. Leveling mercs has to be one of the most tedious jobs......

Cheers,
TheAlfheim
I agree leveling a merc takes so long...I just stand there and make sure he dosen't die..while I twidle my thumbs...I would go back to norm to lvl him too. Act4 should get him good xp...or you could do what the other guys say...both good options :clap:

a lvl 23 merc isnt designed to be killing in late normal or nm. unless you give him very nice gear, of course he's going to die, those monsters are twice his level. be patient with him. I find pindle in normal is good to get to lvl 25, then you can just sit and leech off others from baal.