Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whats with b.netters and their names?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Origin, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

Whats with b.netters and their names?

I am amazed every day by the character names i see on people. And i just keep wondering how you can become immersed in the game when you run around with a character named "mr_monkey", "fear_me" or "shithead557".
    I personally like to give my characters real names. Am I the only one? (seems like that from what ive seen on bnet)

A good tip for anone who wants real names is to go to babynames.com and search for the meaning on something. Say if im making an assasin i might search for names with the meaning of swift or deadly. Holy, blessed or righteous if im making a pala etc.
    Of course i also just make up names sometimes aswell.

I have 3 characters right now with names as follows:
    CathanMashadari (barb)
    JardinDeCecile (amazon)
    TamalChogan (necro)

Dead characters (i play hc) include CairaDiLandre, ClaraVoltaire (both sorcs)and tons of others ive forgotten by now. Oh yes I almost forgot. CathanMashadari had a brother named RokhanMashadari, also barb of course. But he died (actually i suicided him at level 20 or so cause i realised i didnt like his build). Little things like that make the game so much more fun to play imho. Now Cathan has a reason to go after baal ;). (no i didnt plan that out in beforehand).

So is anyone else doing this? Please share the names of your characters and your views on naming! :)

2. velveteenwabbit

velveteenwabbit IncGamers Member

I noticed the weird char names on b.net as well... I guess to each his own... or somethin' like that... :xtongue:

I like giving them unique names, Japanese names, or at least creative/poetic ones... (or if I'm feeling silly, naming them after my favorite anime / video game chars hehe... :xgrin: )
    (not counting the part dedicated to the clan i'm in of course)

for example:

*heartillyangel
    *mezzanotte (my personal favorite)
    *dante
    *darkseraphimgrl
    *Dante

stuff like that...

I sorta like the names like that... unusual and yet you know the person on the other end put at least some thought into it, y'know?

3. skihard

skihard Banned

most of my Characters are named after my kids or wife, but my latest character "In Training" is a druid call Lostinwoods. but yeah for the most part they have real names.

4. Unsane

Unsane IncGamers Member

mr_monkey is not that bad adctually x-) ..and even shithead is better than "firesorc_mf" or "hammerpala123". When they really get desperate ppl come up with "iiiiiuhihiuiuh" etc. xxInsertCommonNameHerexx -names are annoying too. :xrollseye

Atm I have one account full of "Mo-Slo", "Cow-Chow" -style names.. ok so It's an easy way to create new names, but at least it's different.

5. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I just named a new necro after my favorite Greek philosopher: Testecles.

6. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I have a character named JanetsBoob

7. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I like to turn to etymology for my names. For instance, I had a barb named Hvirfla, which is Norse for 'whirl'. Guess which skill he used :) Another barb is called 'Agnian', which is old English for 'own', which is what he does.

8. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

i go for real names too.

With the exeption of my mule chars and a PK zon (imAllPKii) and a PK pally (imAllPKPally) i have:
    A bard called Lartek
    A sorc called Kathedes
    A zon called Lamenthia
    An old barb that got deleted called Thurgar

and a lvl 97 zon with a cool name that i cant remember and my ladder sorc that i cant remember either :p

9. fluff

fluff IncGamers Member

I like to give my characters real names, usually named after something I like. At the moment I have:

Jelenah the Amazon (after that The Gathering song)
    Shirl the Sorc (after Shirley Manson)
    DelBoy the Druid (after Del Trotter of course)
    Nedrington-II the Necromancer (He's the reincarnation of Nedrington who I messed up with, the name came from Ned in Ned's Newt with a bit of stuff added onto the end cos Ned was taken)
    Borris the Barbarian (after my favourite politician Boris Johnson)
    Anita the Assassin (after this redhead I know)

10. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Depends on the character...but if its not a big main character, I am not going to sit there for 5 hours being told the name is already taken.

11. s4nder

s4nder IncGamers Member

:lol: Omg does everyone in Vermont have such a good sense of humour? Every post by you or Usufruct is like 10 good anecdotes here in Estonia:lol:

Oh and I think the best name I have is Titaan on my Paladin. It means "titan" in Estonian for those that haven't figured it out yet. I've got a few compliments for that name.

12. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

All mine are based on historical names, such as Atilla (the hun) for barb, Roland (medieval knight)for paladin, Osiris (egyptian god fo the dead) for necro etc.

13. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Sometimes its just frustrating cuz U have the perfect (and what U think is unique) name, and its taken. I think the big reason for some of the unimaginative names i just that - no imagination. They try a few times to come up w/ names and they are taken.

I either like to create names w/ original spellings, or I do play-on-word names:

zon - Wykkid
    Nec - Morbyyd
    Nec - RygoMortys
    Sorc - Stormme
    Assassin - TreCherry

And then there are the standard fantasy names that somehow don't get snagged up:
    Barb - Draykos
    Pally - Islimach
    Druid - Daxx

And finally stoopid fun names:

Zon - BadAssBCup
    Assassin - LimberBiatch

14. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

I name my mules with names that are silly like, Ser_HoldsALot, or SomeCallMeUniqe. Or, SetItemsHere. So that I can know what is on them without having to sort through a dozen characters.

But, for my main characters I use my RL nickname which is ThePo, PoPo, ThePoPo or just plain Po. yes. I know its an odd nickname but it was arbitrarily assigned to me by one of my best friends for no other reason than "You need a nickname." Or at least that's his reasoning. So I got labeled by that and even my friend's parents call me that now.

My characters names are...

PoTheAwesomeXII-My MF wind walker druid
    PoThePhearedVII-My Meteorb sorc
    PoTheSuave-Zealot Pally

Those are my characters. I like to keep my names fairly simple so that I can be recognized by people i know. Plus, this is a game. I like to have fun playing it. Cuz I can be serious enough in life. I like to be cooky in game. :xtongue:

15. Aladdin_IV

Aladdin_IV IncGamers Member

Usually I prefer to have a silly name in online gaming. I was thinking of making character names similar to my account name (OMG_hax, USWest). I have nothing against people who use historical names such as the ones mentioned above. I do have something against people who use 1) overly-popular names such as Neo or Solid Snake or something along that line, 2) alternating caps names typical of azns, 3) names that are meant to incite or piss off others (jewbasher, AngryAdolf).

The third one is hard to decide on as it is a matter of interpretation. I was rather wary of a chargadin named negro-smiter as I wasn't sure if he was being racist or proud. Someone might get offended at my Sorc's name, but chances are if they knew what the name referred to, then they are as depraved as I am.

Aladdin_IV - Pally
    Xena-Kerrigan -Amazon
    OMG_fapfapfap - Sorc (only one person on bnet understood what that name refers to)
    ThatPaleBastard - Necro

16. iamscottbowdown

iamscottbowdown IncGamers Member

Well, I sorta created an alteranant personality for myself on one account. Tom, he is my carefree fun loving personality. So to mimic my iamscottbowdown account, i made iamtombowdown. On ther i had
    TheTrueTom defiance pal
    Toms-rage Nova/orb Sorc
    Toms-jester Throw barb
    Toms-trust Polearm barb(low level)
    Toms-soul Sword barb (kicked booty)
    Toms-wierd Ranger (bow pal)

And of course MyPrecious (to hold my sojs ;) )
    Now i have Vitario - defiance pal
    Mnn_BBQshrimp (pure fire sorc) note: name is from Space Ghost
    And of course my current character
    Cum-Spitter (Bone necro who roxors)

17. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr IncGamers Member

i always used greek or latin names. VeretusUtCupio and SerepetiaAmplus include mine...(TruthandDesire and GreatHonor)

18. BongRipper420

BongRipper420 IncGamers Member

Why would anyone use a character name that is just plain and ordinary? Characters need a name that will strike fear in the hearts of foes and intimidate even the strongest monsters and players. Which leads me to the name of my first and most beloved char:

CaptainKaka.

19. KillGorack

KillGorack IncGamers Member

all that is not as bad as the lvl 90 "ksdjhgskdj" talk about lack of creativity ;-/

Some of mine are

Killgorack Pally
    Kreigor Barb
    Godswing Pally
    DingieBlonde Zon
    BludgeonFists Barb
    CyberVixen Sorc
    Fanglidor Druid
    Schinzon Necro
    Gruvin Pally

20. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member