Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whats with all the hype?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Keaka26, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

Whats with all the hype?

Whenever someone asks what type of druid they should be, I hear "the windy druid build is the best druid you can make". And Im sitting there scratching my head...Heres why:

1. When I was a much lower level, like 20 ish I think, a level 30 something windy druid comes and offers to walk me through act 4. I said sure...He got OWNED by diablo...So I figured maybe that guy sucked..

2. Last night, a level 68 windy druid asked ME if I would beat the NM baal quest for him. Im a level 72 Werewolf. I was gonna do it free, but he said I could have any drops. So anyways, he just follows me around and stays out of danger (still died once) while I was tearing through the Worldstone keep. I asked why he didnt just do it himself, he said he tried a couple times and that baals minions tore him a new one. How sad...A level 68 cant beat baals minions solo? So I solod baal and got a cliffkiller bow...not bad I guess...

3. Ive played 4 player games in Hell act 1 with windy druids, and they ALL died MANY times, while I didnt die once, although, I almost died a couple times, thanks to other party members leading all the baddies to the entrance of the cave level 2...Where they all died...So they want me to clear the bodies, and its impossible due to the fact that theres no room to manuever. Not to mention they were all lightning immune there, and Im using a lightsabre =) ...

4. Many other incidents where I see the Windy druids get spanked left and right.

So why are people saying that windy druids are even a viable build in later parts of the game? Pure physical damage is asking for it in Hell...The only time I can see theyd be good is in Normal....MAYBE in NM, but not even as much as a shapeshifter...

2. GIR

GIR Banned

Personally, I looked through the Druid skills and decided I wanted to go Wind just because I though it'd be different. It can be a very good build if played right. I've been soloing 8 player games and have had no problem. And while this is getting a bit redundant to type out, I'm doing so completely untwinked, and have 155 stat points I haven't used yet. So, these other druids you've met either don't know how to play the build effectively, or they're just lazy and want someone to do the work for them. Both are perfectly logical explanations, especially on bnet.

3. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

So sad, yet so true...

So are you saying that the windy build requires a little finesse?

4. GIR

GIR Banned

Well, it does in a way. The Wind Druid's main attack method Tornado does require practice and a certain amount of skill to use effectively, whether it be finding the best angle to let a couple Tornados fly, or luring creatures into a big group to you can let a few tear through the group. (To me there's nothing more fun than sending 2-3 Tornados into a huge group of Flayers and the like.

But yes, it does take practive to use, as Tornado goes along whatever path it feels like, more or less. Those people you encountered probably heard that a Wind Druid was good, and tried to make some cookie cutter build without bothering to learn the skills to use it effectively.

5. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Wind druids are so overpowered its not even funny ... I kinda wish I didnt make one but it was the first ladder character i made (the day .10 arrived, so i didnt know they wee over-powered). Now im looking into better / more fun builds. Sadly its impossible to get into a game where people play through.

And yes i bet i could play through the game w/ charsi only items on a wind druid. hell would be a pain but other than that i probably wouldnt die.

6. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

Hmm, whats the average damage a tornado does with full synergies?

7. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

I got a level 70ish wind druid on sc ladder, the first one i made also for 1.10 =). He owns pvp, pvm hes ok but he only has 800ish life cause i build him shitty and i didnt know id get such good gear. I do about 3700 tornado dmg which is alot because it almost does it per second i believe? I own everytihng in pvp for the most part. I stoped sc and i started hc if i leveled my wind druid more id put points into vitality and oak and hed be godly pvp. I average 1k life with oak and with some life charms id be fine.

8. GIR

GIR Banned

Well, I don't have a fully synergized one yet, but right now mine's doing 1378-1489, and I still need 15 points worth of Synergies to max it. Also, Tornado can hit twice, so that's potentially 2756-2978 per Tornado, not yet at max, and with no +skills added. It also stays at a casting cost of 10 no matter what the level, which makes it a cheap high-damage spell that can go though entire groups of monsters like they're nothing. The thing with Tornado is it takes practice to aim, as you can't just name-click on something and have it hit it effectively.

9. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

is hurricane not a usable skill in this build? No one has mentioned it yet.

10. GIR

GIR Banned

Hurricane is just great in its own right. I was just talking about tornado because that's your main damage spell.

Hurricane is a whole other can of worms. It's both an offensive spell, and, really, a defensive spell, as well. It's cold damage, so it slows down things, and with a Holy Freeze Merc, you can slow your opponents to a practical standstill. Also, it's 360 degrees of protection from things rushing you. (Carvers, Flayers, those bat and flying insect things, etc.) I'm currently in Act 3 NightMare, and all the little Flayers that try to rush me get stopped dead in their tracks, either from being chilled, Hurricane causing hit frames to occour, or a combination of the two. Occasionally in a big group one or two may make it through, but those are quickly dispatched. With Cyclone Armor maxed, it stays for 50 seconds per casting, and has a range of 6 Meters 360 degrees around.

11. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

can tornado be cast while using hurricane?

12. GIR

GIR Banned

Absolutely, as can Cyclone Armor.

Here's a quick run-down of the Wind Skills.

Cyclone Armor - Protects against all elemental damage (except poison.) Lasts until it's absorbed too much damage. Easily recast.

Twister - Shoots out 3 small twisters that cause Physical Damage and 0.4 seconds of stun. Minimal damage. I personally don't use them. Useful only as a synergy to me.

Tornado - You main attack skill. Capable of high Physical damage at high synergized levels with +skills. Moves in a random path in the direction fired. Takes practice to use effectively.

Hurricane - 360 degrees of Cold damage, lasting 50 seconds per casting with Cyclone Armor maxed. Everything within it's radius gets damaged, except Cold Immunes. Currently 656-737 damage caused per second spent in its radius on my druid, with 15 points still needed for synergies and no +skills.

13. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

The build does sound pretty cool. Maybe I will try it eventually...Im still playing my first ladder character (werewolf) ...

On a side note about builds: I just read the Fire/Rabies build FAQ thats stickied and JUST found out that the poison creeper on Carrion Wind will work as a synergy to rabies...I think I will start to throw a couple of rabies attacks in with my fury and feral rage attacks =) ...The damage wont be super good, but its quick and will be useful with large packs of monsters like baals minions...

1. Feral Rage on the group (3 hits for full charge)
    2. Rabies attack on a couple of em
    3. Fury like a madman none are left standing =) ...

14. GIR

GIR Banned

Yeah, give it a try when you get a chance, see how you like it. Certain people like certain builds, it's all a matter of preference, but I'd recommend it, as I'm really enjoying mine.

15. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

I still don't think they're overpowered compared to many of the builds nowadays. They're pretty strong, but yeah, I think most other classes have a build that matches it. Druids have many other strong builds as well.

16. PiscesIscariot

PiscesIscariot Banned

You've obviously been playing with some very average Druids.

17. LemurSpirit

LemurSpirit IncGamers Member

well. concerning to the first post, I think the guys were just first-timers. Many amazon/sorc/barb-only players decided to start a wind druid after the new patch. Most of them never played druids before so it may be hard to figure out how to play properly. I started an untwinked windy after coming back from my retirement and I soloed all the bosses in all dificults (in fact I only partied to HELP people with nm ancients) and I haven't died to any boss so far (even my merc tanked hell diablo and survived). btw, my gear is as crappy as it can be (I'm using sanders boots at lvl88) :D

18. DemonicTutor

DemonicTutor IncGamers Member

My wind druid owns soloed games... Dunno why that 68 was haveing such a tuff time...

I know I couldn't use much of any gear till lvl 70 since I opted for base strength. By the time I hit 70 I could use my anihilus, my ammy, so this enabled my to use enigma and then wear the rest of my gear.

So possibly that lvl 68 was a base str build waiting to use enigma/anihilus. But it doesn't take long to hit lvl 70 anyways, just nm baal in 8ppl groups.

Now my druid owns. I also use a 1 handed Doom Berserker axe which gives -57% to enemys cold resists. Also grants lvl 12 holyfreeze, so any monsters that come near me become blue statues. Combine Hurricanes cold damage with holyfreeze's -50% movement/attack speed and its cake mowing things down. Also the -57% cold res helps hurricanes damage quite alot. But basically when monsters are moveing at a snails pace, your tornadoes rip through them before they even hit you. Also the fact that they move so slowly helps tornadoe to land double hits instead of single hits. And I'v noticed my bear almost never dies with the HF/Hurricane combo.

I havn't died to a monster since I equipped my Doom. The game becomes so much more manageable with a holyfreeze aura. I suggest people to use a act2 HF merc with there druid if possible. Hurricane is awsome by itself, but combine it with HF and your unstoppable.

19. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

They were newb druids..mine can rush any area of the game easy.
    I'm kind of annoyed that I'm largely responsible for all these newb wind druids :yawn:

20. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

The only problems I have with my Wind druid come in the form of Gloams, which seem to spawn frequently and in large numbers right off the Wp. It tears throught my Cyclone Armor and takes me down to about half HP (this is not a base Str/Energy build.) I ought to get him out of NM and into hell soon. I just have had him sitting on the shelf for so long now.

I'm also quite tempted to try a Fire/Rabid druid, but I have a lot of projects right now, including a Fury w/ Minions build I'm recreating because I accidentally deleted the origonal incarnation. :scared: