Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whats up with the xp changes!?!?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by puma103, Feb 13, 2004.

1. puma103

puma103 IncGamers Member

Whats up with the xp changes!?!?

Ok so heres the deal. i have 2 ladder characters, one's a lvl 30 hammerdin, the other, a level 30 tesladin (both pallys b/c they rock). i started leveling my tesladin today by running and killing eldritch and everyone around him, and then killing shenk. i was amazed to see that eldritch and the 5 enslaved things around him gave me a good 100k xp. shenk and all of his buds gave me around 50k. and i was able to easily level this way up to 40. then, i got on my hammerdin and did the same thing, however the xp was totally different. for eldritch my hammerdin got only 3k xp, and shenk barelly gave 2k. so is this something with the patch (im new to the patch, stopped playing before it came out). but just to make sure i checked and saw that both chars had all wps up to anya, and all quests completed up to anya. no one else was ever in my games. What i really want to know is, why is this happening? :confused:

2. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

that IS wierd

3. DisneyDestroyer

DisneyDestroyer IncGamers Member

Were there multiple people in the tesladin game but not in the hammerdin game? It shouldn't be that much of a difference (3k vs 100k), just curious if there is some sort of multiplication error.

4. puma103

puma103 IncGamers Member

i made my own game each time with a password, i was the only one in the games. i also noticed that when i played with friends and did the same runs, they received 3 k, while my tesla was still leveling faster than chars 10 levels below him.

5. puma103

puma103 IncGamers Member

whoa weird. i just did another run with both chars. my lvl 40 now tesladin once again gained near 100k in the run, and my hammerdin gained a measly 4k. 17,427,397-17,534,286, and 11,699,281-11,704,281. No one was in these games. however, i leveled up my hammerdin after a few more games of this. i played another game and instead of getting 4k, i got 50k! 12,081,687-12,133,261!!! I just dont get it.

6. Rex

Rex Banned

Maybe it has something to do with the enchantments they carry?

7. warped_mind

warped_mind IncGamers Member

Could have to do with the char. levels and monster levels, since if theres too much of a difference, you get less exp. Your hammerdin leveling and then getting more would go along with that, if before that level he was too low of a level to gain the full exp. of higher level monsters.

8. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

maybe the tesladin aura is bugged?? (HOPE NOT). Try it again without your normal tesladin aura. Only thing i can think of is it's bugged. HAS to be it. Otherwise if that's not it. Suck it up and don't look the gift horse in the mouth. take the extra exp!!

9. Dreamsmith

Dreamsmith IncGamers Member

The hammerdin is just now hitting the threshold where he gets decent experience from these monters. Killing monsters too far above your level is just like killing monsters too far below -- you get hardly any experience at all for doing it...

10. Taurusrexx (Vodu)

Taurusrexx (Vodu) IncGamers Member

That is not true once you get to level 25. At that point and until you reach level 70, the penalty only applies to monsters below you. You may be applying your experience at levels well above where Puma is talking about.

Puma.....the ONLY thing I saw that would explain the gross discrepancies you mentioned is the possibility that you made a hell game for one player and a normal game for the other. In fact, the range of differencies you indicated would be very similar to a hell versus a normal experience chart. The fact that it changed dramatically later, would be similar to switching to a nightmare game later.

The differencies in xp with your buds would make sense if you were over level 25, they were under level 25 and you were killing things above your level, say level 35. You would get far more xp than they would.

Just a few thoughts...........

11. BuddySativa

BuddySativa IncGamers Member

Mindless. Truly mindless.

XP is determined by char lvl and monster lvl and has nothing whatsoever to do with kit (expcept anihilus charm) or skills or auras or anything else you care to mention.

You're so !! POSITIVE !! that it's A BUG!!. Mindless.

The char lvl difference is the most likely cause. XP can go up (or down) dramatically once you hit (or haven't got to)the char lvl thresholds.

Also, the XP you get from lvl 25 to lvl 30 in Act 5 is far, far less than you get in Act4. Try it and see :)

12. slam

slam IncGamers Member

could it be that the experience gained between the first time you kill them and subsequent times differs?

13. Guntaas

Guntaas IncGamers Member

This probably will not answer puma's question, but there is a leveling guide in the strategy compendium. According to that page, you do lose xp for killing monsters above your level.

14. Taurusrexx (Vodu)

Taurusrexx (Vodu) IncGamers Member

Source:http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/experience.shtml

Characters Level 25-69

For any monster above your level, you get EXP*(Player Level / Monster Level).
    For monsters between 6-10 levels below you, you receive between 100% and 5% experience.

If the monster is more than 10 levels below your level, you receive 5% of the monster's experience points

Maybe its me, but Blizzard seems to contradict what the "chart" says in the stragegy compendium. NVM that, I level in CS every day and I dont have any 95% penalty at level 65 when I am in CS, where I assuredly would.

The % penalty is unidirectional. Its prorated going up and penalized going down.

15. Guntaas

Guntaas IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure the chart used the formulas listed in the Arreat Summit. The level penalty is listed on the far right column, and the average base xp is listed at the top. To find the average xp you should get from killing a monster in each act, use this formula: (Av Base Exp)*(average amount of experience)*(Lvl Pen).
    So... a lvl 65 player in NMAct4=(11053)*(37%)*(100%)=4090 average xp(axp). Note that at lvl 64, you should have recieved 6190axp, and at lvl 66: 2100axp. It is suggested that you move to NMAct5, where you would receive 117984axp at lvl 65. This is only a suggestion, because you *could* keep on lvling in the cs until lvl 99, it would just take forever and a day...

16. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

well thank you for that lovely flame :rant:

what character level difference. that's why it's so damned confusing. As the original poster wrote...

Ok, there both level 30.

Ok, at level 30. by himself his tesladin got alot of experience and when he tried the same thing by himself with his level 30! hammerdin he didn't get nearly as much exp. How can there be a character level difference when they were both level 30 when he attempted it?

Like someone else said. Might have had different difficulties going. who knows. it's just messed up is all i can say.

17. DeadlyDan

DeadlyDan IncGamers Member

I have noticed that the distance from the kill affects experience gained.

18. Dreamsmith

Right. So you DO get penalized for fighting monsters above your level, e.g. if you're level 25 and you're fighting a monster of level 50, the experience you get is EXP * (25/50), only half a much experience as you'd get as a level 50 char fighting the monster. Okay, so it's not as extreme a penalty as fighting things well below your level, but it's still a penalty...

19. 694095

694095 IncGamers Member

You are missing the the lvl difference penalty. The lvl 25 fighter would only get 5% or less xp.

20. Dreamsmith

Not according to Blizzard...