Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's up with that?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Corneo, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

What's up with that?

I got to run and type ping <my ip address>. A DOS window pops up and immediately closes. Anyone know what's the problem?

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Run cmd from run. Then do the pinging.

BTW pinging yourself should always get a TTL of 128.

3. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

When you run the ping [ip adress] from the run command, the ping will run and close right away. Since you are pinging yourself, it finishes more quickly and so it seems to close almost immediately. Like Suggestive said, open a command prompt from the run menu: start > run > cmd > enter

That will open a command prompt. Just run the same ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from there and it will run and stay open.

4. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Oh cool thanks. Just one more question though. If I am connected to the <insert n00b voice>internet</voice> behind a router, then my ip address is different correct?

5. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

You'll have two IP addresses, technically. One of which is your LAN IP address, and is only valid to other computers on your LAN and will typically be in the 192.168.* range. You'll also have an IP address associated with your LAN/router, which is what computers outside of your LAN will use to communicate with you. Your router then (most likely) uses NAT to figure out which computer to send the messages to, as all of the computers on your LAN are associated with the same external IP address.