Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's This Bow Doing??

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mojotales, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Mojotales

Mojotales Diabloii.Net Member

What's This Bow Doing??

I'm playing an Amazon at a rather low level -- 26ish or so -- and have a +2 to Amazon skills bow and another that is so dramatically better at kills I'm constantly amazed. I'm just not sure I understand it!

It's a Raven Claw Long Bow, no sockets. 64% enhanced damage, +50% bonus to attack rating, 3 strength, 3 dexterity and it shoots explosive arrows.

On left click is Cold Arrow, now at level 4 and on the right is the normal attack which seems the only way to activate the explosive arrow aspect. I can plant myself somewhere and Cold Arrow for ok damage (and a lot of mana) and then switch over to fire the last few shots normal with explosive arrow at no mana but some serious damage. Even in a large mob, moving back slightly when needed, I can mow through with the Bow far easier than anything else I've tried, including the +2 to talents.

Please, old longtime experts, is explosive arrow that good? I surveyed amazon bow builds and don't remember anything spectacular that warranted a fire build amazon, for instance. Does it eventually loose it's punch as you level? Anything affect it in terms of increasing the power? Obviously, I don't quite get the functioning of that characteristic on the bow. Would +2 on my other bow be more "valuable" when the Cold Arrow and Strafe (two main attacks with this build) are both much higher? It's a dull yellow/gold bow (the Raven Claw).

For reference, I'm sticking to a build for once, in this case found over at

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676075

and am actually having an blast -- an explosive one! Any clarifying of what I have my hands on and where I should think of going from there is wonderful advice that I'd appreciate. I'm playing on my own computer, not Ladder and Battle.net, so some of the astonishing runewords for Amazons aren't available to me. That discovery was a sad moment, there are some pretty astonishing goodies down that road.

Thanks for the help!

Mojo

2. Frowzor

Frowzor Diabloii.Net Member

Re: What's This Bow Doing??

Well, for one thing if you have any points in fire arrow, it'll provide increased damage to the 'shoots exploding arrows' modifier on the Raven Claw through exploding arrow's synergy bonus.

Endgame xploding arrow builds are usable if you have high +skill gear (and any +fire damage you have anywhere on your character will transfer to the explosion, like from Demon Limb enchant for example) but are fairly low powered at high levels I believe.

Hope some of that helps :)

3. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

The bow is not going to work for your build at higher levels. Keep riding the wave until it begins to lose power, of course. Ultimately, though, you will replace it.

The bow you use for strafe should ultimately have high damage, high speed, and knockback (which you might very well get from gloves rather than bow). The bow you use for freezing arrow will need good +skills (finding an amazon bow with +3 bow skills and making "Melody" in it for another +3 is a great way to pump up the elemental damage). I am assuming that strafe is the primary attack, so you will spend most of your time on that weapon switch. When you switch to the +skills bow and use freezing arrow, your blue bulb will disappear in the blink of an eye, but those pesky physical immunes will shatter in a clatter of watery fun.

4. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

You can use the Runewod Mod (RWM) to make the b.net-only runewords available in Single Player.

5. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas Diabloii.Net Member

This raises a question to me.. has anyone ever tried to get a 07/09 ravenclaw, bring it forward, pump the synergies and then strafe with it? Synergised it should be around 900-1k splash dmg.

6. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

You think that's something, you should see one of those Raven Claws converted from 1.09. That's a highly sought out twinking item.

7. Frowzor

Frowzor Diabloii.Net Member

If I'm not mistaken the "shoots exploding arrows" mod only works with the actual "attack" skill. Strafing or multishotting with an RC or kuko doesn't give you exploding arrows.

8. Evasive

Evasive Diabloii.Net Member

@Frowzor, I agree, strafing does not appear to have the same exploding effect when using one of the 1.07 Raven Claws as far as my (brief) tests concluded.

9. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas Diabloii.Net Member

Aw. Too bad.

10. Greebo

Greebo Diabloii.Net Member

Even though it doesn't work with Strafe, it's still "good enough" backup skill for Hell. I've matted a LF/1.09 Ravenclaw zon as a novelty once I've found out that Fire Arrow synergises RC.

Taking on gloams was tricky and I'd definitely not do it in HC, but it worked. Certainly kept me on my toes.

--Greebo

11. Mojotales

Mojotales Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks all for the info -- I gotta ask -- I've found nothing but dead links throughout the forum here for trying to find the RWM that lets you use the ladder style runewords on one's own computer without connecting to battle.net, if I understand the function.

It's probably fate telling me I'd screw it up or it wouldn't work with 1.13 or something!

Mojo

12. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

The link in this thread works for me.