Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's the reach of a thresher?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Pherdnut, May 31, 2005.

1. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

What's the reach of a thresher?

I saw a Barb guide saying Scythes and their upper version have a reach of 5, but AS says 2. I'm inclined to trust the Barbs on all things weapons and AS is notoriously wrong, but can anybody confirm? I've been messing around with meleemancer ideas and a necro with lots of DS, CB, and OW items with a reach 5 zealing Passion Polearm sounds like good messy silly fun to me. Thresher would be ideal for its speed and overall look but since Zeal is involved I guess it's not that important.

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Scythes, Battle Scythes and Threshers have range 2.

3. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

2 it is. I'm a barb, trust me :teeth:

HoD

4. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Even though i know that threshers have range 2 it seems really illogical, how can a scythe on a long stick have shorter reach than an 1 handed axe? :rolleyes:

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

You don't hold the base of the stick with both hands and twirl it; when you hold a scythe you have one hand on a small handle up close to the blade, for stability. I guess the small range reflects the small distance between your steering hand and the blade.

6. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Yeah but isn't that the case for all the spears and polearms in the real life?

If you put two hands at the very end of any of them you'd have no control over the weapon at all. It would be too unwieldy. You'd have to have another hand farther up on the weapon to do anything other then wild erratic swings.

7. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

yes range 2 it is,which barb guide are you talking about?

Rik

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A scythe is 5 feet tall and you cannot deal much damage with its point - it might even break if you hack e.g. into a wooden trunk. It's the blade which will deal damage and you don't make thrusts with it, but swings. It's sharp at the inner part of the blade, so you have to catch your enemy between you and the blade. So range 2 makes sense.

Apart from that, it's an extremely ineffective weapon, as you need much of space, you have to make very long swings and hitting with a certain amount if force at a height of more than 2 feet is difficult. It won't penetrate any kind of armor. I guess a wooden club or perhaps even a stone in your hand is more dangerous.

I have a little practice with a scythe, as I have one at home and use it a few times per year.

9. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

I disagree,Scythes at the hands of a vet can be lethal,if you can get in close it can parcel out the vital body parts,the blade is shaped like a raptor's claw,very effective on round objects small or big :uhhuh: one swipe & it drops.

Rik

10. krischan

OK, you might be able to cut off fingers or, if hou hit at the joint, even hands, but let's face it: A scythe is made for cutting grass. A chain mail (or just thick leather clothing) and a helm plus thick boots probably make it ineffective. To kill enemies in melee, it's better to use tools optimized for killing armored oponents, like spears, swords, axes or maces. Any of these weapons is better than any scythe.

I'm not referring to Diablo in any way with this posting. It's pointless to apply too much logic to a fantasy world with things like, magic, demons an undead, of course. I have no problems with e.g. Reaper's Toll being one of the best merc weapons, for example.

11. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Why are we having this discussion when you can kill a swarm of hundreds of insects with one arrow, and they drop their 210-str-to-use Colossus Voulge (which by the way is 2-2.5 metres long)?

Edit: :thumbsup:

12. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I think it was the Barb guide discussing ideal Whirly weapons Rik.

As for the new discussion, I for one am very much against realistic weapon portrayal in my fantasy games. Necros with scythes look cool. Characters wielding two big swords or two guns? Awesome. Angst-ridden teenagers with a gun that's a blade but no, it's a gun! Well, actually that's kind of tacky but fun to see in action.

I'm more appalled at steel bikini briefs on the Assassin than I am at a Scythe being an effective weapon. I mean, c'mon. It's okay to make her sexy. But let's be reasonable on what any sane person attacking hordes of demons would dress themselves in.

13. krischan

You probably killed the queen with that shot and all the others died from the shock. Regarding the CV dropping: I'm quite sure it's a cheap trick. The character you are playing has a secret treasure cache which he doesn't reveal to you. When the swarm dies, he distracts you and if you don't look, he will place the CV where the dead swarm is.

Any further questions ?

14. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Well there are facts that an ant can carry a weight which is 500 times or so of his own bodyweight so perhaps a swarm of 1000's of ants could lift a colossus voulge ? :lol:

15. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Ants lift 8 times their own weight. World record is some sort of scarab that can lift ~360 times its own weight.

@krischan: Don't say that! I kind of liked the idea of having shot the arrow and hit at the exact time when all of the bugs were flying in line.