Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whats the point of meteor?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Question, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Question

Question IncGamers Member

Whats the point of meteor?

Firewall does more damage and casts faster. By the time the meteor comes down everything is dead already. Its like 3-4 seconds for it to come down....

2. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Re: Whats the point of meteor?

Meteor synergizes Fireball. Firewall doesn't.

If you can invest at least ~40 points into the fire tree, nothing beats FB + Meteor. If you can spare 20 or less, go with FW indeed.

3. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

Meteor is a secondary attack on a fireball build.

Its not a good primary attack due to its cooldown and huge wait time. (the primary attack would be, fireball) But it does has several uses:

1) For dueling, it can be used for defensive purposes to create another obstacle for your opponent, you can self meteor yourself vs anyone who you think is going to jump on top of you in 3-4 seconds. Very effective vs wind druids, hammerdins, charge paladins, etc, they'll often charge or teleport right under a meteor which does a lot of damage.

2) for PvM vs boss mobs (like baal or mephisto), rotate it with fireball for maximum damage per second. .. use meteor when meteor is off of cooldown and fireball when it isn't

3) Good for picking something out of a crowd, like shenk or nihlathak. you can't fireball them directly because there's 10 mobs between you-- but a meteor on top of them gets the job done.

4. Kurogane

Kurogane IncGamers Member

How exactly does Meteor + Fireball give max DPS? I could probably see this happening low FCR builds but I doubt this will hold true for Sorcs that hit the upper FCR BP's.

Is there data on how many frames the part of Meteor's CD that affects all skills lasts?

5. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

meteor doesn't have a CD that affects all skills. The Meteor CD only affects meteor (and blizzard/orb too, i think, but it doesn't affect fireball). You can fireball as much as you want while meteor is in cooldown, it just replaces a fireball in your rotation whenever its out of cooldown.

6. Kurogane

Strange because when I set up RMB to

Q - Fireball
    W - Meteor

Spamming Fireball only to the edge of the screen always guaranteed me 4 Fireballs on screen. While a quick W-Q stopped the Fireballs entirely (no Fireballs on screen) Plus when I had Meteor and Fireball on LMB and RMB, whenever I used Meteor, Fireball would also go red for a moment then back to white (while Meteor stayed red longer)

Not to mention when I equipped Skystrike on my Bowazon, there were very noticeable pauses whenever Meteor proc'd. Also wasn't there a noticeable interrupt whenever other skills that have delay proc'd? Like Firestorm on Phoenix stops all your skills for a few frames?

So what you're saying is that Meteor is unique in the sense that it's CD only affects other CD skills?

7. Kurogane

Strange because when I set up RMB to

Q - Fireball
    W - Meteor

Spamming Fireball only to the edge of the screen always guaranteed me 4 Fireballs on screen. While a quick W-Q stopped the Fireballs entirely (no Fireballs on screen) Plus when I had Meteor and Fireball on LMB and RMB, whenever I used Meteor, Fireball would also go red for a moment then back to white (while Meteor stayed red longer)

Not to mention when I equipped Skystrike on my Bowazon, there were very noticeable pauses whenever Meteor proc'd. Also wasn't there a noticeable interrupt whenever other skills that have delay proc'd? Like Firestorm on Phoenix stops all your skills for a few frames?

So what you're saying is that Meteor is unique in the sense that it's CD only affects other CD skills?

8. MFDeath

MFDeath IncGamers Member

As said above, cooldowns only affect other timered skills like orb/blizz/hydra, which fireball is not... On top of being a synergy, you cast meteor first, while it's coming down spam fireball and then it lands to finish off anything left. Definitely more useful for stationary targets like bosses, though meteoring on top of yourself is another good defensive strategy that was mentionned. To me it is by far the most clumsy skill, but once you get a feel for its mechanics it's quite impressive.

9. Kurogane

Except it's fairly obvious if you setup LMB and RMB to FB and Meteor.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1151/redtt.jpg

With 105 BP I can have 4 Fireballs on screen by holding down the RMB. Setting up my RMB so that one hotkey is Fireball and another is Meteor, I lose all my onscreen Fireballs whenever I switch to Meteor. If Meteor only took up one Fireball then I should be able to keep 3 Fireballs on screen.

Even if I switch really quickly (by quickly I tested using a keyboard script) I still lose all of my Fireballs.

10. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

weird.

kurogane, what is your ping? i wonder if that's affecting your cast speed.

for me fireball does go red after a meteor but only for like 1/10th of a second (the exact duration doesn't seem to be consistent though, one time it lasted half a second),

usually not long enough to slow my casting. i can still keep 3 fireballs on the screen with the meteor down. It might have to do with ping, i'm usually hovering between 60 and 110 ms.

11. droid

droid IncGamers Member

All timered spells DO have a short cooldown that affects all spells...maybe just 1/2 second, but thats 12 frames, or one and half FB casts at 8fpa. Add the casting animation time for Meteor itself, and that would explain the gap in your fireball timing.

You can tell this if you have, like other have said, Meteor on RMB and Fireball on LMB. When you Meteor, the icon for FB goes red for a moment. Same is true for other timered spells like FO.

12. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

I just tested it in single player on some random sorc i built a year ago. (bought a +meteor staff for 80k LOL)

on single player my other spells are redded out after meteor for much longer than on bnet, but it doesn't seem to slow my casting -- it seems that they are always redded out for just long enough to not prevent me from casting the next spell when i would have.

13. Kurogane

This was tested on single player. So no lag there.

Taking the assumption of a 12 frame freeze. This means that Meteor needs to do 2.5x the damage of a 8 Frame Fireball. (1x for the actual cast, 1.5x for the Frames of no casting) Or the "Fire" needs to do .5x the damage of a Fireball provided the average 2:1 ratio of Meteor:Fireball immediate damage per cast.

But note this is going by the assumption that the freeze is exactly 12 Frames. If there were a few extra frames (like say 4 giving a total of 16 Frame freeze) then Meteor now needs to do 3x to match Fireball. Or the "Fire" now needs to deal 1x the damage of a Fireball.

This is why the data on how many frames the all skill part of the casting delay is important if you want max DPS.

However, based on just simple playing and that of other people using Meteorbs, there is really no significant difference between FB spam and Meteor + FB in terms of actual kill speed on bosses in high player or player setting games. Other than Meteor + FB is much more of a hassle to use compared to pure FB. Since after all you need to do with the second setup is just hold down a mouse button and wait for the boss to die.

So I guess if someone wants to actually do a frame by frame playback, but honestly I don't really see the point here, whatever DPS difference is extremely minor and FB only on bosses is simply preferrable thanks to it being a press and forget method.

14. Question

Question IncGamers Member

So...meteor is underpowered?

15. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

If you synergize fireball and meteor (basically use all of middle fire tree), there's only a few k difference between meteor damage and fireball. So technically, FB will more than make up for meteor damage.

For me, meteor is purely situational. If I need to bombard a place while teleporting around to avoid all the arrows or lightning bolts, then I'll spot a meteor, teleport around until meteor is ready and repeat until the area is safer for FB.

I try to avoid using it in multiplayer games because eventually it will crash a game. When I first built my pure fire sorc this season, I managed to get through a lot of games without a crash, but depending on the party, it's bound to happen sooner or later, so its often best to avoid using it.

Fire is especially nice on Andy tho, I just teleport on her and FB till she dies and kills everything else around me.

16. Kurogane

Well in a sense, yes.

Simply because Meteor and Fireball go hand in hand. If you have Meteor, then you have Fireball. So you can't talk about Meteor without mentioning FB.

Unlike Firewall which has no "competition" from its synergies. I mean honestly, the damage skill that synergizes with it is Inferno. Obviously Firewall is going to stand out with a partner like lol-ferno.

17. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

meteor consistently does double fireball damage at any +skill level when both are fully synergized.

18. SeCKSEgai

What's faster, 2 meteor, or 4 FB? ;)

19. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

now you're just moving the goalposts. we've already discussed that 3 fireballs + 1 meteor casts at the same speed as 4 fireballs unless your name is kurogane.

20. SeCKSEgai

Well, referring to the OP's original question, there's basically no need to cast meteor.

In SP and Bnet I would get a cast delay after a meteor, as opposed to just sticking to FB. I also mentioned previously, that I have uses for it, but its situational, as the damage difference isn't meaningful enough to actually worry about using it in general.