Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's the official formula for ravens' CtC "blind"? der

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Phesto, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

What's the official formula for ravens' CtC "blind"?

I've read that ravens have (blockable) auto-hit (I've used them a lot lately and it would seem so), but that their CtC "blind" is affected by monster levels, their own level, the levels of the 3 main summons, etc.

I'm also wondering if ravens have Critical Strike because you'll often see that animation when they hit a monster.

If you haven't "read the code" or seen this confirmed (in number form) elsewhere, please don't reply as if you actually know the answer.

Edit: I just realized that I should've posted this in the statistics forum, but instead of posting it twice or making this thread about nothing, I'll just leave it here and a mod can move it if they'd like.

2. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

Hm. Well, Lothric's outstanding guide to the Druid Summoner, posted in the Strategy Compendium (http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=575), gives full details. Even includes the actual formula for calculating a raven's CtC "blind". Seems that it depends only on your own level, the level of the monster, and the number of points you have in Raven; the level of your other three main (i.e., furry) summons does NOT matter.

To quote from his guide:
    So far, my summoners have usually only put 5 points into Raven. Checking the math, I see that this only gives them a 45% CtC Blind when attacking a monster of equal level to me. Every additional point in Raven will raise that by 5%. And it will go up or down by 5% for every single level difference between me and the monsters... So if I can stay well ahead of the monster level curve, 5 points in Raven should be enough. But if I ever start falling behind, I can see that additional points in Raven could be pretty useful for keeping their blinding up. Hm.

As to whether Ravens have a chance at Critical Strike... I have no idea. Huh. I'd be really curious to know.

3. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

Awesome, thanks a lot.

About the CS thing: It's possible that they only gave it the animation (sound effect is there, too) and not the doubled damage, but I can't imagine why they'd bother doing that, so it got me wondering.

I was thinking that perhaps it only triggers when "blind" triggers (the animation and sound effect, I mean), but IIRC that's not always the case (I can't check ATM).

4. Valvolux

Valvolux IncGamers Member

Critical Strike doesn't trigger some 'special' animation AFAIK, and there is nothing to say Ravens ever had or have any form of Critical Strike.

5. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

Critical Strike (from masteries, the Amazon's CS, etc.) is shown as a "spark" when it's triggered. There's also a slightly different sound effect for it.

If you'd like to check for yourself, simply make an amazon in singleplayer and set the players to 8; pump CS and you'll quickly notice the animation I speak of. On the other hand you can make a barbarian and pump AM to see that it doesn't only occur with the Amazon's CS.

Pretty much everything in the game can trigger a critical strike by default -- I've seen monsters do it to me numerous times (probably helps if you've played a lot of the early-game) -- but there's obviously only a small chance of it happening.

To be honest, and I'm not saying this to be disrespectful, I can't imagine how anyone who's not new to this game hasn't noticed this before.

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The druid's minions can all cause Critical Strikes (at 5% chance), except for the spirits and the Poison Creeper.

7. Valvolux

Valvolux IncGamers Member

Call me blind, but I cannot notice any difference or 'spark' with either 0% Critical Strike or 80%+ Critical Strike, but hey if you think its there that’s good enough for me.

Interesting info on the druids pets RTB...gotta lov it when that 5% goes off on a 10k Grizzly swipe. :grin:

8. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

Thought so.

Am I the only person who can see the little flash and hear the sharper-sounding noise that's triggered for CS? I mean, it's obvious: normal hit, normal hit, hit + spark + sound effect.

I just did it again, level 1 CS.