Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what's the best way to lvl up a normal act2 merc?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Kaze, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Kaze

Kaze IncGamers Member

what's the best way to lvl up a normal act2 merc?

I always have had problems to level up this mercs hired in normal diff when im levelin with em .. i progress lots of levels and they level just 1 or 2 levels when i get to 2x ... I have rencetly hired one of em with my char level 85 , and killin in normal diff big games seems to be as uneffective as when i was level 2x ... what i should do to level him?

2. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

do catacombs lvls in a1 normal, or sewers runs normal at as high players as possible

then move on to arcane, flayer jungle etc etc

though it will be boring getting your merc from ~20 to 85..

try to let him kill as much as possible

3. Fettuchini

Fettuchini IncGamers Member

Someone once posted a spreadsheet that cross-correlated the areas against the character level showing the % xp to be gained from the area.

Each area had an average monster only.

I can't find the item anywhere, although it should be stickied. Luckily I printed it out. If you're in Norm, then the highest gain is level 37/38 earning an average of 2576 in Act V.

If you're level 85 then the best area to level up a Norm Level II merc is in Hell.
    Simply find an area where you can kill quickly and safely (for the merc that is).

e.g. Hell Act I level 25 earns avg. 12371.
    Pre level 25 earns 1718 but this is higher than anywhere in Norm
    or Nightmare for those levels.

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

my thread, "a2 merc notes" has some information. however, i also find 12-35 frustrating...there's really no way to speed it up.

the merc starts getting good xp for YOUR kills around lvl 50 (i was lvl 90) so then it gets a lot faster.

i just leveled up a lvl 51 a2 HF merc in about an hour doing nm worldstone runs (other places are easier, but i figured i might as well try to get some semi-decent drops.) he got about 1 level per game.

5. snapper316

snapper316 IncGamers Member

my suggestion is don't start a MERC until YOU are strong enough to kill everything all the way to the end of hell. Why? You can stock up a lot more money(and thus keep track of leveling the merc) better than when you're running through the game on your own.

B. You buy a merc in NM at level, 47ish. It can already have shaft for sure, maybe gaze too at that point, and the weapon won't matter.

C. Baal NM runs are great for nm mercs from 47-50, after that, act 1 hell is a GREAT and EASY place to level up an act2 merc with the right equip.

D. that's about it...should be fairly easy.

Once the merc gets to 64 he'll level up like crazy, all the way up to where you're leveled at in no time.

6. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

imo lvling a merc is easy, if you take the time to get them the best items for there lvl. mf and look for items to gear up your merc starting for the very lvl he is when you get him, the unique demon hide is perfect for starter gear use this with a good spear with ll and speed, if the merc is low lvl like 20ish, use boneflesh armor and spear with ll and speed. this is for act 2 merc, its the same for the other merc that do phy dmg, you want speed, ll, good dmg and good resist. then take the to an area where thay can stay alive and kill kill kill, it is slow at the start but its picks up later. is best to do this when you are closer to the merc lvl, but as long as you are killing and he is alive he will in time lvl

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

found 2 more tricks:

everybody knows malice is just about the best item for normal a2 mercs, but lvl req is 15, highest hire level is 12. so, other than keep two spears in your stash, what do you do? I found a space-saving idea. at lvl 12, have the merc equip a 3s spear. at level 15, put in the runes for malice.

also, everybody knows that mercs gain more xp for the kill. for sorcs, this is a great situation. with 1 pt static, you can stand there and tank, holding the static button down, while the merc kills everything in sight.

i just did this today, and my merc is able to keep up with me through act 4, currently level 18 from 12.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I have never found it hard to get the mercs to stay within a couple of your character´s level. Then again, I usually let them do 95% of the killing in Normal.

9. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

i go to the cow farm

10. bliksta

bliksta IncGamers Member

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=512

I am using that.. it is pretty helpful. You don't go by your clvl you go by the clvl of your merc. My merc is at lvl 55 currently so the best place for my to level him up is at Nightmare Act4 because the monsters there are closest to level 55 than anywhere else. hopefully this helps ya out