Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's the best type of merc for a wind druid?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by jfu_6018, Apr 3, 2004.

1. jfu_6018

jfu_6018 IncGamers Member

What's the best type of merc for a wind druid?

I have my wind druid, and I was going to get a holy freeze merc, but it occured to me that it's not all that useful...since hurricane does the same thing. But what do you all know to be the best type of merc for a wind druid? I was thinking act 4 might be good, but I basically need something that can deal out dmg and that's a good tank.

On a side note, how well do wind druids do in hell? I'm mostly cruising through nightmare right now, and I need 3 more points in both tornado and hurricane, and 14 in twister, so my dmg should increase quite a bit before I reach hell. When it's all maxed, is the dmg high enough to hang in hell?

2. prion

prion IncGamers Member

Holy freeze is actually pretty good because hurricane damage and chill length 'kinda' sucks.

umm...isn't it in the guide? EDIT: there doesn't seem to be a PvM guide, nvm

defiance is okay but doesn't boost you that much...might merc is okay but only boosts himself, and your grizzly if you plan to use it..all act 3 mercs suck..a5 is okay but you may as well get the might merc and have him be better...rogues are okay but no aura and not a good tank--however a fire rogue adds a fire component to your damage. Thorns, prayer, and blessed aim are useless for this build so i guess that leaves defiance, Holy freeze, and might.

I think out of those choices holy freeze is the best, because 1) he'll slow even cold immunes; and 2) his chill radius is larger than yours; but there are good arguments to make for the other two also. For one, the Defiance merc is the only one that gives you personally a boost.

3. jfu_6018

yea for auras, holy freeze was the only useful one in my book...except prayer maybe, it's always nice to get life. then again i've never used a prayer merc (at least not for the long haul). defiance is useless since I'm not really bothering with high defense stuff or anything...I'm trying to avoid taking too many hits, and I want hurricane/tornado to do the killing.

4. JonTalbain

JonTalbain IncGamers Member

holy freeze: nice because its freezing all and longer than hurricane.
    might: the merc can kill the monsters on his own ^^
    the thing with more def: more def ---> more chances 2 stay alive ^^

i would take a might merc. useful 4 the party and the merc is a good life leecher :p

5. jfu_6018

so what's wrong with the act 5 mercs? they seem like good tanks and can probably dole out a good deal of dmg...though i've heard their AI sucks.

It seems like there's no reason to use anything but act 2 mercs anymore... does anyone actually use the other mercs?

6. prion

prion IncGamers Member

act 5 mercs do bash and stun, move and swing quickly, and charge straight into battle. They can use barb helms and any godly sword in the game as long as they have the str/dex. They're good fighters but not as useful as someone with an aura. In my extremely limited experience with them, they are more about damage than being a tank.