Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what's the best place to rune-hunt?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Cerebron, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

what's the best place to rune-hunt?

I know it's all luck. But can someone give me some directions? What's the best place? Or what are the places that high class runes (such as Enigma) MIGHT drop. Appreciate.

2. Compman

Compman IncGamers Member

The Countess has an especially high chance to drop runes, although she can't drop the high level runes you are looking for in 'Enigma'. For the higher runes it's all basically luck. Just make sure you are running an area that has a high enough treasure class to yield the rune you are looking for. A place like the pit (hell) would be a good place to start.

3. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

the chance that youll get 2 high rune drops anytime soon (let alone jah and ber specifically) is sooo low anyway, theres prolly not much point worrying about it. like copman says, the pit is an excellent place to mf as you have lots of monsters (higher chance for one of them to drop a rune) and a very high area level (very high treasure classes) meaning if you dont finmd runes, you will probably find some item worth what your after (if you mf over a looong period of time).

4. Vladicus

Vladicus IncGamers Member

Just mf... You will find stuff... And then you can exchange it.. For.. OTHER stuff. BETTER STUFF! LIKE RUNES!!!!

I AM HUMAN! HEAR ME RAWR!

5. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I do countess, interspersed with hephasto. They seem to have the best rune drop tables. After I collect a few of the higher level runes I upgrade as far as I need. Rushing for hellforge drop is also very profitable - i get many high runes there, which I will then upgrade.

6. Vladicus

Who is the best hellforge rusher, do you think?

I would guess a hammerdin, with good resistances and whatnot.

7. Shadow_247

My perf hammerdin finishes what my sorc cannot. I lack enigma at this time, so i use both chars to rush. Enigma hammerdin is by far the best choice though - use him if you got him.

8. Knightmare

Knightmare IncGamers Member

Hephasto meaning the Hell Forge quest reward, right?

Not him himself dropping runes when he dies every time you kill him? :xbeard:

9. Shadow_247

No, no I mean hephasto the big ogre guy. You can only do the quest once per character, but you can run hephasto as many times as you'd like. I don't know for sure, but from my experience running hephasto, I get alot more runes that any other baddies - save the countess. He doesn't have a guaranteed rune drop everytime like the countess, but for some reason he always drops nice runes for me. I'll look in the mpqs and see exactly what is up with him - if anything.

EDIT: Haphasto has his own TC - Haphesto (H). It comprises of Act 5 (H) Equip A, Act 5 (H) Junk and Act 5 (H) Good. Act 5 (H) Good is where the runes come from - Runes 17 to be exact.

Runes 17 contains every rune in the game. Runes 17 itself only holds zod (r33), but after failing a zod roll, it calls on Runes 16 which contains r32 and r31. After failing those rolls it will continue down through Runes 15, 14 and so on. Haphasto, who's highest rune TC is Runes 17 will have a better chance to drop a rune from Runes 15, than say, a monster whos highest rune TC is Runes 15.

So hephasto does not function in the same way as the countess, she has her own runes TC, which ensures a rune drop each time. Hephasto just seems to work for me, he may or may not for you.

10. Knightmare

Knightmare IncGamers Member

Oh, so you'd kill him for runes like vex, jah and ber and not the Countess?

11. Zabin

Zabin IncGamers Member

The higher the hell countess give is Vex.

The hellforge is Ist in hell.

One of the best place for runes is..... traviciral act 3 hell mode with a Hammerdin.

12. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Countess drops runes the most consistently, but wont drop the top runes.

Its all luck. MF% doesn't affect rune drops.

Due to a massive dupe of runes, runeword armors n weaps are popular and fairly common. If I were you I wouldn't waste my time rune hunting. The best way to get runes now is to trade unique items for em. Runes don't have the value they once did. I've seen zods traded for shakos

MF for items, then trade em for runes...

13. Vladicus

The thing is... For uber-n00b peoples, it is easier to run Trav with a more or less untwinked Hammerdin for runes of a decent quality, thereby being able to trade them for better gear.

My Meaty Orb sorc, for example, found a Fal rune in NM somewhere, which permitted her to purchase for her act 2 Holy Freeze merc a Bonehew and some form of fancy armour, and she is now able to pwn hell Meph, nonetheless after a quite a bit of a struggle and the occasional death.

14. CaSUaLtiE

CaSUaLtiE IncGamers Member

my lucky mf hammerdin was doing a nm d run for a friend for quest and i came across a Ko. I got a shael buriza, crow caw, and ww for it. The guy obviously really wanted a Ko.

15. WhoCaresAgain

WhoCaresAgain IncGamers Member

what game is this for?

16. CaSUaLtiE

CaSUaLtiE IncGamers Member

diablo 2 and diablo 2 expansion: Lords of Destruction aka d2x. :D

17. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

lol u had me going i thought it was snake and ladders :) j/k.

It all down to luck. But if you put enough runs into it you should eventually get it (i hope) well that how i delude myself :D