Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whats the best move for my next skill pt?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dr.G, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

Whats the best move for my next skill pt?

Well I just hit level 38 with my skelliemaster. I have an amulet that +1 my summing skills and I have a one that +1's it two so all of my summing skills are +2.

With my gear on I have 18 in raise skeletons, 4 in manges, 8 in mastery, 3 in resist. I also have some in my gumby.

Now I dont have any pts in revive so should I put a point in it which will probally give me 2 revives after my powers ups or should I put that point into bone spirit?

I was thinking about putting that point into raise but if I do that it will still give me 8 skellies but just make them stronger but if I put that point into revive wouldnt that increase my meat sheild and also make my skellies stronger with syngery??

Also with that bone spirit. I do have 3 pts in teeth and 4 in bone spear.

2. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Max:Skeletons,Mastery,(and or Mages). If you are going to use Bone Spirit, then max Bone Spear along with it.

Usually I put some thought into any build before making it, nothing is worse than going out and leveling...and finding out that skills have beeen misplaced or misused.

I myself take the time to plan-out whatever build I'm making...and then write it down and follow that(for both Stat and Skill points)

Like what my "Road Dawg" Hammer says: "There's nothing worse than an unprepared mind".

HoS

3. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

Well I know where I want to go. I was going to put this point into my raise skellies but I thought that since the one point wont increase the size of my army that putting 1 point into revive would end up giving me 3 points in it so I would have a larger meat sheild.

I want to do diablo in normal by myself and the last time he just waisted my army so I am changing my game plan..

I just dont know if I should just make my current army stronger or if I should add more to it with bone spirit or revive..

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

No, putting points in Revive does nothing for your Skellies. They should have already been maxed by now.

You best bet is to go out and get a wand with some Decrep, put the point in Skellies and then put Decrep and Gumby on Big D. until he goes down with thanks to your Merc and some help of the Skellies.

5. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

I only have one curse and that is amp... I have terror but that is because my want has a level one skill for it..

6. Mad Mantis

Get some more curses. Curses are what makes the Necro such a fantastic character.

7. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

but to get decep I am ging to have to put points into curses that I'll never use or rarely use. so is waisting like 3 lvl points on stuff I wont use worth it to just put a point or so into decep??

8. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Think of it as Investing...not wasting. Decrep makes killing bosses so much easier. Also, there may be times where you do use the the so-called wasted skills.

HoS

9. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

SUMMONING SPELLS:

Max Rsie Skeleton, Skeletal Mastery and, if you're going in this direction, Skeletal Mage. Keep in mind, though, that you will need a lot of + to summoning skills if you want to make the Mages viable long-term.

You should also put at least a single point into Clay Golem, which along with the curse Decrepify will make bosses and superuniques easy chumps to kill. (Clay Golem slows down whatever it attacks)

I'm not a huge fan of Revive, but that's strictly a personal preference thing. It's really tough to go with both Revives and Mages, unless you ignore the Bone skills.

POISON AND BONE SPELLS:

Keep going with Bone Spirit. After you max it you can slowly add to its power with synergies. This won't be a practical killer in Hell difficulty until its damage nears 1000 or so. Until then, it's purely a supplimental damage-dealer. Be patient.

CURSES:

For starters, go with Amplify Damage and put a single point into Decrepify. Extra points into Decrepify only increase it duration, not its radius or effectiveness. As you become comfotable with your curses, explore several others for variety. See any good guide on this.

ITAMZ:

Shop for a wand that adds +2 to Summoning skills, then +3 as you continue to level. + to summinong skills will be everything to you, especially in Hell. Seriously, +3 to summoning skills is way better than +2 to Necromancer skills.

10. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

Dear Dr.,
    I feel your pain. Honestly I do.

When I first started playing Diablo II like 5 years ago, I used to just kinda make my builds "happen". Man, did I end up with some horrific builds. I remember maxing salvation and using regular attack on my first paladin. What a joke!

So where you find yourself at now is on the cusp of being a jack of all trades master of none.

There is zero usefulness for revives. They are dumb. That's pretty much the end of that story.

Now there is a few different ways that the average build goes (one that uses skel's at least), and here they are:
    1. Max Warrior / Mastery / Mages / Revives / 1 in gol stuff and curses / 1 CE
    2. Max Warrior / Mastery / Corpse Explosion / 1 in gol stuff and curses
    3. Max Warrior / 3 Poison Skills / 1+ mastery / 1 in gol stuff and curses
    4. Max Warrior / 3 Bone Skills / 1+ mastery / 1 in gol stuff and curses

Having 4 in 'manges' (I assume you mean mages) and 'some' in Clay Golem, means that you are kinda going every direction.

I'd strongly recommend reading up on the required necro lore, then 'mentally' building your guy, then once all your stats / skills are in order get in game and start playing.

1.10 made it extremely tight on skill points, and while the summoner variant of necro's is afforded an extreme amount of leniancy in comparison to the other builds / classes, there are still some areas where you have to rebuild.

I think your still low enough of a level to not really be set back by starting over, which is what I strongly recommend.

On your next go over, make sure to hit this allocation in this exact order:

20 Skeleton Warrior
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Teeth (only as pre-req at this point)
    1 Amp Damage
    1 into all other curses (all but middle row after amp)

Just make sure to have 1 into decrep by the time you take on Diablo.

After this point, you'll be approximately level 48 or so (depending on when you do your +skill quests). From here, the road is wide open. You still have close to 50 points you can spend by end game. So as mentioned above, you can just do one of the following:

1. Max Mages / Revives
    2. Max CE / Secondary skill (maybe bone armor / wall / if using marrow?)
    3. Max 2 Poison Skills (nova being the killer)
    4. Max 2 Bone Skills

Just a note before people go apeshit over my hybrid recommendations:
    a hybrid with more focus on skel's won't have the output dmg of a hybrid with the focus on pnb (either p or b). So your choice.

I hope my ranting and raving helped. If not. FAQ

g

11. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

well my stats include all of my gear, and amulets.

12. gvandale

well then, as mentioned by myself and others...

You should DEFINATELY have Skeleton Warrior maxed by this point in the game, and should be close to maxing Skeleton Mastery as well.

If WITH your +skill gear, meaning base skill points, you are still at that level, then I would DEFINATELY recommend rebuilding. You're going to find nm / hell difficult.

Oops, I already said that didn't I?

g

13. Mad Mantis

On the subject of curses let me say this, the only curse I do NOT use is Weaken. It is such a bad curse I do not even consider it a real skill. All the others have their uses. It might not look like it right now, but when you get to higher difficulties that Terror might just be what saves your hide. Same goes for all curses (except one) they will all come in handy sooner or later.

14. gvandale

dr. G:

consider this post as written in stone tablets and brought down the mountain from moses himself.

it gets no truer.

g

15. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

This is more or less an informative post for the author of this thread.

Personally, I think these necromancer skills are "One Point Wonders" and you should never, ever drop more than one valuable skill point into these:

Amplify Damage
    Weaken
    Terror
    Life Tap
    Revive*

*These guys are incredibly dumb. Even with extensive use of Teleport like I do, half the time they run in circles. Some behave better than others. I personally like spellcaster revives to make the screen prettier with Blizzards and Firewalls.

Most every other skill for the Necromancer has at least some merit for additional points, even if only for synergy bonuses. Some skills have fallen by the wayside (like Iron Maiden), but Necromancers have adapted and learned other ways to kill. A pure Golemancer might pump Blood Golem, but no one else will. The diminishing returns curses like Decrepify and Lower Resist are only for special builds (like a Meleemancer or a partying poison Necro with 3 element-specific sorcs and a Conviction Pally).

Personally, I think the most efficient skills for the Necromancer right now in 1.10 are 20 Raise Skeleton and 20 Skeleton Mastery. This plus curses and a Might merc go a long, long way toward your killing power and survivability with a just a 40 skill point commitment. You were getting the Curses anyway, and the Merc as well.

I too use every curse except for Weaken, but for my tastes I feel slvl1 Terror beats slvl1 Dim Vision. Anything I'd want to Dim Vision I can also Terror and I get the same thing: monsters leaving me alone. Terror lasts a bit longer and the monsters are farther away when it wears off. The only time Dim Vision wins is against archers in a corner. In that case, I usually Teleport over there since I actually prefer to fight in a corner. That said, Dim Vision pluses up into a better skill than Terror.

As for curses, I feel there are "blanket" curses and "target" curses. A blanket curse is one you want on every monster you fight. It ideally has a big radius and a long duration. Examples of blanket curses are Weaken, Iron Maiden, Dim Vision, Confuse, and Lower Resist. Much of your killing power and survivability rests on your blanket curse of choice. Poisonmancers use Lower Resist while Meleemancers use Dim Vision.

Then there are the targeted curses. These curses usually have a small radius and short duration barring constant recasts. Basically you want something special to happen during this short duration. Example of targeted curses are Life Tap (heal merc and skeles), Attract (stop spellcaster, distract ranged), and Decrepify (slow boss).

Some curses sort of fall in the middle. Terror can be targeted to banish archers and spellcasters, but you can also spam it (and should!) when you get overwhelmingly swarmed and have no space. The trusty Amplify Damage curse is targeted early game but later it becomes cheap enough and lasts long enough to be your close range blanket curse.

Personally, my Skelemancer is melee and uses Decrepify as a blanket curse. I don't mind the constant recasts because I'm leeching mana back. He's fragile, has poor damage, and whiffs alot, so Decrepify works in triplicate to remedy these problems.

If you aren't very skilled with a Necromancer, I highly suggest putting a single point in every curse; they are quite fun to swap around on. It's actually not an incredibly terrible idea to have a single point in every skill the Necromancer has, then focusing (though only for your first character; v1.10 has tightened skill points considerably). The Necromancer, more than any other character, needs tricks and options to survive, and interestingly enough most can be found in his skill trees. There are other tricks your equipment can provide, such as Teleport, various Auras, and a deep 2000+ mana pool, but those are more or less luxuries that come from Magic Finding runs.

16. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

I am not going to give up on my current Necro but I am going to start a new one. Now should I put points into curses right away as in 1 in each until I get decep or should I just max out my skellies first?

Also since I used bone spells for my older necro I want to try posion. Now is it worth while to do a hybred skilliemance/poision mancer?

17. Mad Mantis

When starting out a Skelliemancer it is better to just put one point in Amp and then max Skellies. Look for a wand that gives Decrep, because you will need it against Big D. Then when you maxed Skellies you can put some points into other curses.

A hybrid Summoner/Poisonmancer is very viable. There are a lot of threads on this subject. Just look for them.