Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

.....What?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EEJ, Mar 17, 2004.

1. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

.....What?

Ok my mom tells me this as soon as I get home from work. The convo went something like this.

Mom: Matthew you need hep with anything
    Me: No
    Mom: How was your day?
    Me: Fine
    Mom: Are you sure nothing is bothering you?
    Me: No mom I’m fine why is something bothering you?
    Mom: A bit. You never ask me for help anymore.
    Me: (I interrupted her) Welllllllll I don't ask for help when I don't need it.
    Mom: Well I need to be in your life I don’t feel like I’m a parent anymore you don’t speak your mind and you’re too independent I don't know who you are. You need to ask me for more help…..

Then it went on with some more Jibber Jabber

........I am ******* speechless literally... what are you suppost to say to this?

2. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Do some stuff with your mom. You will really regret it later if you don't.

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I'll second that. Right now you think you are the king of the world, but your Mom is getting older and feeling bad that you are growing up. Give her a nice backrub and make sure you let her know, somehow, that even kings have mothers.

4. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Meh, I got the lucky end of the deal. For my whole life my parents have virtually stayed out of my business. As long as I got good grades, they didn't bother me. If I needed help, I asked. If I didn't, they didn't bother me. Now they pester me about college. :rant:

5. Xoranix

Xoranix IncGamers Member

Just understand that maybe she feels a bit disconnected...explain to her that you need your space...and maybe do some things with her for fun. Not that you aren't doing any of this anyway, but just some helpful hints.

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I miss doing stuff with my mom, now that I've been away at school for almost 3 years. She feels detached, and it's probably pretty bad if you are an only child or the youngest of the bunch. Go out and have some fun with her or something. She just wants to be part of your life, no reason to shut her out.

7. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Is it normal for people to talk to their parents?.

8. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

EEJ,
    If this is bothering you enough to talk to us about it, wouldn't it make better sense to take this time to talk to mom? I have to believe that chat would go a great deal further in getting to the bottom of this.

What you're doing here is similar to asking a fortune teller to tell you what you got on your math test when your math teacher is standing behind you in line.

9. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

I too agree with this a whole lot. At the teenage and later part of your life you really need to give something back to your parents. Throw them a fricking bone for peats sake.

Hell, if they are anything like mine they sure as hell earned it.

10. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Ok, I didn't have much time before, and I feel like what I wrote was about as succinct as it could be, but let me expound on it a bit.

My mother was a great cook. Great. The only time I wasn't a total social outcast in elementary school was when she would send cookies for a party or something. It was incredible. She just used the recipie off the back of the chocolate chip package, but they were way better than anyone else's. This was only to be expected though. She had a degree in nutrition, had worked for a school somewhere over seeing their cafeteria and at another school as a home-ec teacher.

Now, you may have noticed that I've been using the past tense a lot. My mother passed away just before I graduated from high school. Now not only do I regret not spending more time with her, but I also regret that something that was so large a part of who she was has disappeared forever. None of my brothers or I ever tried to learn how to cook from her. If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to reproduce her chocolate chip cookies I wouldn't make it through the night. Her roast beef, spaghetti sauce, chilli, corn bread, fruit cake, all of it gone. If I had taken just a little more interest in what she was doing not only would I have those memories, but I'd also be able to keep her around by making the food that she used to make. And then when I passed it on to my own children they could learn something about the grandmother they never got to meet.

Go talk to your mother. Learn something from her if you can.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Well Tarnok's post has me calling my mother as I'm typing this. :)

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

You're on drugs aren't you?? AREN'T YOU????

My mom is probably the most important person in my life. I think I'll go call mommy now. :)

13. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

I dont understand though me and my mom go out to a fancy restaurant twice a month, somtimes walk the dogs. I always..well not always try to learn somthing from her she has tought me how to kick box in the past (she's a fittness in structor and into athletic stuff).

I feel like she wants to be there every 2nd of my day. She has always told me to stick up for myself I do and then she does this because I dont goto her for my lil probs at work or how to manage my money... why get help if you can do it yourself?

Don't get me wrong I love my mom just... thats the weirdest thing somone has ever said to me...

Thanks for the input I'll just drill her to see whats going on till I can understand this.

:creep: goes to get some cookies :creep:

14. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Exactly. Even if you don't need help, LET her help sometimes. Go to her with something you know she'll want to help you with, girl advice, homework, a problem at school.... Whether or not you may need it is irrelevant. What's important is that your mom stays a part of your life.

You don't want the regret of losing your mom in the future and regretting not including her in your life and not making her a part of it. It's worth the effort to include her.

15. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Only 1 mother per customer.

Make the best of it.

"You don't know what you got 'till it's gone" quote - Joni Mitchell

16. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Thats exactly what i would do. The only way to know whats going on is to ask her.

17. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

EEJ..let me give you a mommy perspective.

No matter how old you are, you will always be a baby in your mom's eyes. Liam is only 11, and I have a hard time letting go. For the most part of your young life so far, you have been the center of her universe and now she more than likely sees you drifting away. The hardest thing for a good parent to do is allow their children to grow up.

Not to drift OT here, but I have heard so many parents who can't wait for their kids to leave home. It wouldn't bother me if Liam stayed with me until he is financially secure enough to handle life on his own. 18 does not equal financial security.

EEJ, time flies by when it comes to children. One minute you are giving birth in the hospital, the next minute your baby is in kindergarden, the next they are graduating high school. For good parents, time is precious. You should feel honored that your mom is taking the time to be interested in your life. So many are not. She gave you life, and as far as I can tell, she have given you the most important thing a parent can give a child...their time.

You don't need to ask her whats up. Ask her out to dinner and have a nice talk with her. Tell her how everything is going. Pay for the dinner.

No matter what, don't think that she is trying to invade your privacy. Mommies to tend to be a bit nosy, but that is our job. We have been through everything that you are going through right now, and our job is to help you avoid the same mistakes we made.