Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What Would You Pay For? D3 Microtransactions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by MRR, Jul 20, 2011.

1. MRR

MRR IncGamers Member

What Would You Pay For? D3 Microtransactions

This subject of microtransactions - one-time payments of real money in exchange for some form of in-game content - came up in another thread here and it kinda got me thinking:

If microtransactions are a part of Diablo 3, what would you be willing to pay for?

I don't mean for this to be a debate about whether or not microtransactions will ruin the game, though I'm sure that might come up anyway. Personally I think they have their pros and cons depending on how they're implemented, but I think they have the potential to bring a lot of extra revenue to the game and help fuel development of features that everyone will enjoy. Potentially. I also think it's pretty cool that Blizzard has been able to use microtransactions as a way to support charities in times of need.

Also, there's already a long thread on whether or not you should be able to buy gear with real-world cash, so let's table that for now and focus on the other types of things you might like to spend money on.

Based on how successful microtransactions have been for World of Warcraft (with negligible impact on the actual competitive side of the gameplay - those of you who "compete" over having the most brightly sparkling pony notwithstanding), I think it's reasonable to think that we might see something along those lines taking place in Diablo 3. We haven't yet seen anything of the sort in Starcraft 2, but that style of gameplay doesn't lend itself quite as much to personalization as the RPG feel of Diablo does.

So, assuming microtransactions of some sort are a part of Diablo 3, what would you be willing to spend your cash on?

Personally, I never purchased any of the WoW vanity stuff while I was playing, but a friend did gift me one of the non-combat pets for my birthday and I did purchase a few server transfers (raiding is a cruel mistress). For me, the main problem with the vanity purchases in WoW was that they were very non-exclusive; I really liked vanity mounts and pets in the game, but I liked being able to show off when I had something rare or that was a sign of a big accomplishment (my warlock rode around on Invincible, which was one of the rarest mounts in the game, available only to fairly serious raiders). However, when I saw Dalaran flooded with sparkle-ponies the day they were available for purchase I knew that I didn't really want one. Part of that had to do with the aesthetics, but it was mostly just because I knew that tons of other people had them already. Hey, if it made them happy, all the power to them - their $25 was going back into the game for all of us - but it became something that I wasn't interested in.

I have, however, purchased some skins (new appearances for my characters) in League of Legends. In that case, there is already a ton of purchasable content available - there's a lot of variety and choice; it's not just one or two items that everyone can purchase - so by purchasing something you're making more of a personal statement. Furthermore, LoL is a free to play game, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, so I felt it was worth my while to toss the developers some cash to work with. They stay in business because people like myself occasionally buy skins or pay to unlock champions faster, so I have no problems helping them out a bit.

In Diablo 3 I'm not entirely sure what I'd want. The most prestigious "vanity" effects - titles or other cosmetic effects - will no doubt be available only to those who put in the effort and have the skill to obtain them, so I doubt I would pay for something that was a cheap imitation of those. We haven't seen a fully-fleshed out list of battle.net features, but I'm sure there are some possibilities there for things that could be done through microtransactions. One thing that I would probably pay a bit for would be a stand-alone Battle.net chat program - something I could use to check to see if my RealID friends were online without starting up the game, and possibly accessing certain in-game chat rooms (though I can imagine this being more useful for WoW than Diablo 3).

What do the rest of you think?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

Re: What Would You Pay For? D3 Microtransactions

I'm for the purchase of vanity items for cash, as long as it is easy to tell who purchased them. That way, you can easily spot the doofuses whom you'd never want to play with.

3. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

I would say that vanity items wouldn't work in D3. We all have a concept that the loot itself and the best gear we are wearing are our vanity items because it is sustained by the effort of grinding and fighting, not typing credit card numbers...purchasable kind of items wouldn't be seen as a good thing in D3 just for the reason Spens mentions!

I would pay a month fee just to have more people working on squeezing the juice out of this game, it has such a great potential and it needs payed attention!

4. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

So you reject out of hand anyone that wants to have, say, a pet around them that does nothing to gameplay? Rather a narrow view, but to each his own, I guess.

I bought one vanity item in WoW, a charity pet for $10, I thought it was a nice thing to do. The one vanity item I didn't get that I wanted was the plush wind rider, I thought it was cool.

I don't care about MT's, unless they affect gameplay; once that happens, the game no longer has any relevance or meaning. Blizzard knows this, and I highly doubt we'd ever see that sort of thing in their games.

5. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

I don't care about Diablo 3 having microtransactions (I wouldn't even if it had subscription) as long as you can't buy power. Things that affect balance, buying legendaries / rares / etc., are a no-no for me.
    But things like new armor / weapon skin, things that make your character more shiny, mini-pets (if they could work in game like Diablo 3), etc., are fine with. If people want to buy staff like that, then go ahead.

6. djxput

djxput IncGamers Member

money for items would Ruin the game for me ...
    The reason I want to play D3 is because of the challenge and fun of it in a internet setting.

Playing against or with people that get their items from other then 'game' means takes the fun out of it.
    Cheats and hacks also do this ...

To me if I wanted to play like this Id play torchlight online and be done with it ... granted I will be playing TL2 when it comes out but if D3 goes the way I think it will. It will keep me far enthralled then TL2 could ever.

hardcore ladder, trading, and endless mindnumbing monster killing ... what more could I want in a game?!

7. Sicom

Sicom IncGamers Member

Absolutely nothing.

8. Gerahben

Gerahben IncGamers Member

Depending on the prices of course, I would be willing to pay for expansion-like content updates. I would also be willing to pay for some sort of premium realm where cheaters/bots/dupers/gold farmers are more tightly controlled. This is assuming it will be a problem on regular realms, which unfortunately I think it might be.

-Gerahben

9. Sicom

Sicom IncGamers Member

Separate the community. That's always good.

10. Gerahben

Gerahben IncGamers Member

I am not arguing for or against the concept. I am merely saying what I would pay for it if it were available. However you do bring up an excellent point. I imagine that small content updates that are much more frequent than yearly large expansions would fragment the community quite a bit and would eventually negatively affect the game. I would still pay for them if they were available, but let's hope they are not.

And back on topic... I would also pay for a realm where only people with actual social skills can play. You know, like well adjusted people who actually go outside from time to time and do not use the internet as their personal tool to diffuse their nerd rage with short, sarcastic, off-topic, completely useless, vaguely aggressive posts.

(any similarities between any person on this forum and the fictional entity portrayed in the second satirical paragraph of this post are purely coincidental)

-Gerahben

11. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

I could see myself paying for new skins/model for the character classes, it all really depends on pricing and the aesthetics. In other games I've paid for DLC content, like the Da Vinci Disappearance for AC:B. I also broke down and bought the Lil' Rag for WoW though I don't think any of the pets are worth it.

12. Ravenhoe

Ravenhoe IncGamers Member

Interesting question. I would only play for more quality content, like DLC that add random quests, more weapon types etc. I would not consider that microtransactions though. But I would never pay for stuff that is intentionally held back only to make it the stuff you want to pay for, for example, amazing weapons and armor. Because it undermines the whole idea of fighting and questing for loot in the first place. That being said, I also don't like auction houses etc., because if it's not found in hard combat, you have not earned it.

H.

13. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

If they pay cash for it, yeah. No reason to group with a doofus that wears a sign saying "I'm a doofus."

14. slingblade

slingblade Banned

Familiars would be nice. Maybe a black cat for your sorceress or a pet snake or spider for your witch doctor.

15. MRR

MRR IncGamers Member

One day we will have the technology...

I don't think that buying vanity items necessarily makes one a "doofus". See, some people do this thing called working which gives them a lot of disposable income to throw around as they see fit...

I do think there is a tendency for products like this to attract the doofuses out there - the kids who like to show off because they have more Ninja Turtles than their friends - but I think that's largely a matter of the way Blizzard has approached the vanity purchases in WoW, releasing things one at a time so that there isn't much choice available. If there were a larger number of things to choose from, the "doofus" people would buy them all (which is good for the game! more money for development!), while more reasonable players with some disposable income might choose to buy one or two vanity items which they actually like.

I also hope that if vanity purchases are available that they won't be too "silly". I don't care if you parade around with sparkling ponies and SC2 Thor pets in WoW because WoW's atmosphere is ridiculous to begin with. I'd like any vanity options to stick within the Diablo theme.

Even if high-level gear was available for purchase - which I'm quite sure it won't be, since it would devastate the in-game trading economy - I wouldn't buy it. For me the sense of accomplishment in finding a cool item, and then rolling up a new character to use that item because it wasn't for my main's class, is most of the fun.

I've been trying to think of battle.net features that I'd be interested in paying for but which I also feel shouldn't be part of the core product (or at least things which could be justified being left out). I was thinking that I'd consider paying for a battle.net shared stash feature where I could freely swap items between my different characters without having to go into games, but I expect that kind of thing might be a part of the core game anyway.

16. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

I might go as far as saying that anyone who cares how their character looks is a doofus. But that might upset some people, so I'll stick to saying those who care enough about their looks to pay cash to change them are doofuses.

17. slingblade

slingblade Banned

Different things have different values to different people!? WOW, WHAT A HARD CONCEPT TO UNDERSTAND! :rolleyes:

18. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

Exactly. Doofuses value money less and character looks in video games more than non-doofuses.

19. MRR

MRR IncGamers Member

Considering how many people seem to care about how many visually-distinct armor types will be available ("18 for each slot?"), or how many people care about the aesthetics of the game in general (i.e. the "art controversy"), I'd say there are a fair number of "doofuses" out there.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  20. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

If Blizzard wants to incorporate microtransactions it should be very limited in my view. Unique Dyes, Unique Weapon-Armor animations. Things like this I would be ok with but adding any type of quests, items with unique stats is too much for me.