What will happen when/if we catch Osama?

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
What will happen when/if we catch Osama?

Well, what do you think will happen? Will he sit in trial for months, will he get some meaningless sentance? Will he await an execution for the rest of his life?

When WW2 ended seven Japanese generals were tried and hanged within 10 days of surrender for crimes against humanity during the death march. Men who followed the nazi party after Hitler's death were instantly blindfolded and shot on the spot.

So what do you think? Are those days gone and dead, or should Osama get an old fashioned hanging within the week in front of everyone?
 

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
nnndave said:
Well, what do you think will happen? Will he sit in trial for months, will he get some meaningless sentance? Will he await an execution for the rest of his life?

When WW2 ended seven Japanese generals were tried and hanged within 10 days of surrender for crimes against humanity during the death march. Men who followed the nazi party after Hitler's death were instantly blindfolded and shot on the spot.

So what do you think? Are those days gone and dead, or should Osama get an old fashioned hanging within the week in front of everyone?
First off I am not sure he will ever be caught or if he is even alive. That said it is a different world I do not see him being shot by some soldier on the spot and it will likely be some grand show with tons of cameras etc etc. Then again what is going on with Saddam?
 

Bert

Diabloii.Net Member
They shouldn't catch him, they should shoot him, preventing other terrorists doing things to get him free
 

masterazn

Banned
I doubt anyone will catch him, he's a pretty smart man from what we can see. As far as we know, he might be in Tahiti now enjoying a pina colada on a sunny beach.
 

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
unless they are certain they can get more information out of him... I say they should hang him on the spot. get it on video. and play it on TV every single day.
 

Johnny

Banned
He will most likely get a fake trial and then be executed as a real trial for everyone to see would require real evidence to show a link between him personaly and then specific crimes.
 

masterazn

Banned
nnndave said:
unless they are certain they can get more information out of him... I say they should hang him on the spot. get it on video. and play it on TV every single day.
It's an idea, but to me, it seems pretty ludicrous. It would be like falling down to their level of videotapping hostages and stuff. I'm not dropping that low just yet.
 

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
masterazn said:
It's an idea, but to me, it seems pretty ludicrous. It would be like falling down to their level of videotapping hostages and stuff. I'm not dropping that low just yet.
Unfortunately, it's not really up to you. I think the same thing would happen to him that happened to Saddam. With Saddam, I do feel that there's a little bit of respect given to him because he was leader of his country, and because he hadn't directly assaulted the US like bin Laden did.

I think he should be tried for crimes against humanity. Bin Laden is one person no liberals and no conservatives are going to defend. It'd be better to try him as open and publicly and internationally as possible. And you won't have to worry about him getting off.
 
If he is ever caught alive, I seriously doubt that the administration will be so hasty as to try and execute him in a week. They want to milk this one for all it's worth, and will likely drag out any trials for as long as possible to take advantage of the nearest election cycle. Expect lots of appearances of whichever Special Forces team captured him at campaign rallies for whichever Republicans the administration is backing.

Perhaps I'm cynical.

Anyone know what's happening to Saddam, by the way? Anything at all, or was that just a nice "look what we're doing" preceding a lot of doing nothing?
 

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
IF the US-forces find him, they'll shoot him on the spot, saying he tried to escape (which he probably will anyway). Think of all the terrorist activity a trial will cause! Many will die if that happens, the US will try and prevent that!

BTW, I think he's still alive and won't be caught.

David.
 

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
When/if we catch bin Laden, soldiers will rip off his mask to reveal that he is really Old Man Miller who ran the ski chalet. He would have gotten away with it too, if not for those meddling kids and their dog.
 

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
If he is ever caught alive, I seriously doubt that the administration will be so hasty as to try and execute him in a week. They want to milk this one for all it's worth, and will likely drag out any trials for as long as possible to take advantage of the nearest election cycle. Expect lots of appearances of whichever Special Forces team captured him at campaign rallies for whichever Republicans the administration is backing.

Perhaps I'm cynical.

Anyone know what's happening to Saddam, by the way? Anything at all, or was that just a nice "look what we're doing" preceding a lot of doing nothing?
Thats so true and it pisses me off beyond belief. Someone out there will see it as a political goldmine, someone out there will try to make money off it. Someone will without a doubt will fight to the teeth for him to stay alive.
 

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think much will happen.

If he is captured alive, as I suspect he will be, one of the worst things that could happen is for Americans to gun him down. Retribution of this sort will only accomplish some very bad things: it will give anti-American Westerners even more grist for their mill, it will prevent us from wringing this monster dry of information, and it will give other monsters a T-shirt martyr.

Instead, we should simply put him in Gitmo dressed in his tidy whities and start the sodium penothal drip. It is hard to riot around some pitiful geek rotting in a prison, rather than someone suffering a "dignified" pseudo-combat death or a World Court cause celebre for terrorist-huggers. When he eventually commits suicide in his cell by hanging himself with his underwear, sure, the U.S. will be blamed - I would suggest having a camera on in the cell to make sure we can't be slandered in this manner.

But would there be any more appalling end for a "death to America" Islamist?
 

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
I doubt they'll ever catch him. They only caught Saddam because he was given up by someone he trusted. I think Osama would have more trusted people around him because he's not stuck in a beaten country surrounded by enemies...

KnightFall
 

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
I doubt they'll ever catch him. They only caught Saddam because he was given up by someone he trusted. I think Osama would have more trusted people around him because he's not stuck in a beaten country surrounded by enemies...

KnightFall
But Osama might easily outstay the Islam-sanctioned welcome that I suspect he is hiding under. Harboring a monster, plus reward money that is beyond the mathematical skillz of the region, tends to do that.

It needn't be the host that narcs on him either. Giant geeky non-Afghans (Pakistanis) tend to stand out a little. Plus, if he stands still, the situation only worsens.

I tend to wonder if he's hiding in Iran's border country, rather than Pakistan's.
 
jmervyn said:
But Osama might easily outstay the Islam-sanctioned welcome that I suspect he is hiding under. Harboring a monster, plus reward money that is beyond the mathematical skillz of the region, tends to do that.

It needn't be the host that narcs on him either. Giant geeky non-Afghans (Pakistanis) tend to stand out a little. Plus, if he stands still, the situation only worsens.

I tend to wonder if he's hiding in Iran's border country, rather than Pakistan's.
Here's a more interesting conspiracy theory for you. Considering all the benefits Pakistan's getting from helping the US find Osama, do you think Musharraf is really so keen in the idea of turning him up? Wouldn't it behoove him more to keep finding #2s and #3s (how many number twos and threes can we catch, by the way?) and keep getting ever-so-close to finding Osama without actually catching him?
 

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Here's a more interesting conspiracy theory for you. Considering all the benefits Pakistan's getting from helping the US find Osama, do you think Musharraf is really so keen in the idea of turning him up? Wouldn't it behoove him more to keep finding #2s and #3s (how many number twos and threes can we catch, by the way?) and keep getting ever-so-close to finding Osama without actually catching him?
Nee-ner nee-ner, nee-ner nee-ner, da-da-daaaa!
"That's the signpost up ahead: Your next stop, The Twilight Zone."

The nugget of truth to this is that it catching UBL quickly would do nothing to help Perez with the somewhat restive portions of his populace. However, we were making REAL nice with him back when my Mom was still there. He's not lacking for U.S. cabbage.
 

TriggerHappy

Diabloii.Net Member
Really, he'll prolly be treated just like Saddam. Hopefully, they tie him to a light pole in New York and anyone who wants to can line up and kick him in the nuts and spit in his face. Then run him over with a tank movin full speed.
 
Top