Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What will happen to the D2 heroes in D3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by MonsterOfTheLake, Jul 27, 2010.

1. MonsterOfTheLake

MonsterOfTheLake IncGamers Member

What will happen to the D2 heroes in D3?

Canonically, the Warrior "won" Diablo. In D2, he's the Dark Wanderer/Diablo, the Rogue is Blood Raven, and the Sorcerer is the Summoner (well, the fake one).

Given that all the D1 heroes (well, excluding Hellfire, which is non-canon anyway) have been driven to madness and eventual death by D2, what is going to happen to the D2 heroes in D3?

The Barbarian is already confirmed to have "won" D2, having defeated Baal. Given an expansion bringing back 2-3 of the D2 heroes, that leaves 3-4 D2 heroes that are going to become NPCs/monsters. Which heroes do you think will get the shaft?

I think the Paladin, the Assassin, and the Sorceress will become monsters. The Paladin turning evil is classic Diablo "good-guy-turns-evil" (Leoric, Warrior, Izual, etc). The Assassin is too dull to be brought back as a hero, so might as well turn her evil. The Sorceress will come back to D3 as a playable hero, realize that Teleport now has a 9-second-cooldown period, go insane, and become a SuperUnique.. that still tries to teleport down to Baal.

2. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Re: What will happen to the D2 heroes in D3?

I hope the Paladin turns into a Death Knight.

:maybedodgy:

3. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I somewhat doubt they'd do it again. It'd be neat to see, but would be very boring and repetitive, and I can just imagine the flames of lack of innovation.:whistling:

I would like to have a hdin (with an intelligent, challenging AI) who calls you a noob when you meet him. :)

4. MonsterOfTheLake

MonsterOfTheLake IncGamers Member

You're gonna have to pick one, I'm afraid

5. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

They exist. They're .000000000000000000000000001% of the Hdin population, but they exist.

6. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I don't know I kinda always pictured the necro wandering down into Nihlithak's empty lair and taking over. All the corpses and things and being underground just seems like it would be an ideal place for him to rest after a long journey.

7. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

Besides the Barbarian, who is returning, I think the only ones who according to their lore would be able to resist subduing would be the Necromancer and the Druid. In a general way, I don't mind not having the old classes return as monsters or NPC, with the exception of the Necromancer and the Sorceress (I think the Amazon, Paladin are too generic, and the Assassin belongs to an order that may be featured in the game anyway).

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i guess i missed something. the barb was confirmed as the one who defeated evil? is this true or just assumed cause he is in the game again?

9. The Janus

The Janus IncGamers Member

I think this is assumed because Blizz (somewhere or other) confirmed that the Barbarian in D3 is "the" Barbarian from D2, rather than just "a" Barbarian.

10. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

The Barbarian in D3 will either be the one who defeated Baal and caused the events leading up to D3 or will be one of a group of heroes who did.

If this isn't the case then there is very little point in making the distinction that the D3 Barbarian is the D2 Barbarian.

11. Apocalypse

well yeah i was always under the impression that they as a group defeated evil not just a single character so i was just wondering if bliz had stated that it was indeed the barb who killed diablo/baal

12. Arbedark

To the best of my knowledge Blizz haven't stated that it was in fact the Barbarian that was the one to kill Diablo and Baal.

I'd guess that if it is a group they won't state which member of the group made the killing blow against either Prime Evil, and merely have references to the event as a general thing when characters run into other members of the group (that survived) during game play.

13. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

In many sources (I can't recall them all, but I do remember seeing "heroes"), it makes it seem like a group of our chars did it.

If they do reveal who did it, it might be some flash back cinematic, NPC story or enemy taunt (likely Baal himself or Diablo about vengeance).

14. Apocalypse

question i would have is, do you think its good to limit it down to 1 hero? maybe 1 per act leaving the 2 xpac chars out? amazon killed andariel sorc meph and so on? or do you think it is better to leave it always and forever as, the 7 heroes defeated the prime evils together and all survived the battle?

15. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Hmm...only if it made sense, and maybe not even limited to act bosses.

For instance, Amazon killing Andariel due to the corrupted Rogues (bow affiliation?), maybe a team on Duriel (or sorc since it's Tal Rasha's Tomb?), Paladin avenging Kurast by killing Meph, team on Diablo and Baal (barb final hit?).

The rest can fill their niches. The necromancer can kill Nihlathak (also necromancer, and a corrupt one at that), the assassin could kill the summoner (corrupt mage after all), the druid ... IDK, but some crime against nature. :p

It'd make sense to have them teamed, but for final hit, it'd just be more neat to match player with boss than have any important lore impact.

16. Arbedark

All 7 characters killed the Prime Evils and survived.

After that however could be a different matter. A couple could have disappeared (Assassin back to the Assassins etc), some could have been corrupted and you have to fight in D3, some could have wandered the world ala Barbarian and you encounter in D3 as NPCs, some could come back in Expansion Packs as player characters.

Lots of options really and they can leave it quite open if they stick to the 7 characters defeating the prime evils and then are vague about what follows.

17. Apocalypse

yeah i agree that i like the idea of the 7 winning, well maybe 6 nuts to you assassin lol. what i want is for bliz to tell us a bit about what happened after the events of D2. like you said we probably encounter some be in NPC or foe form. i just want them to really get into what happened to the 7 and the world after baal was defeated

18. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

:(

Maybe this is perfect for the prologue in the game manual. There's a 20 year gap, so plenty can go on here. ;)

19. Apocalypse

i need my wife to drive me to buy the game so i can read the prologue on the way home lol

20. Arbedark

I find it hard to imagine that Blizzard won't tell us what happened.

I predict that at least 2 of the heroes will go "missing". Allowing for inclusion in future expansion packs, we will fight at least 1 hero that has fallen to the Prime Evils and that at least 1 hero will be met in game as an NPC.