Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Spoiler] What we know so far about unannounced diablo project

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by secondii, Sep 5, 2016.

1. secondii

secondii IncGamers Member

What we know so far about unannounced diablo project

a summary of my predict article back in May (http://d.163.com/16/0525/10/BNTGJRKK00314U9V.html)

unannounced project will use new Game Engine (aka. Overwatch's Engine )

[​IMG]

the Graphics Software Engineer job requirement shows : "Shader and GPU programming", "DirectX 10+" and "PBR" (Physically Based Rendering) pointed to a new genre Game Engine that using by Overwatch. this engine requited at least Win7 64bit

Lighting engine

Geomerics Enlighten lighting engine

Physics Engine

in house physics engine Domino developed by Erin Catto

Art Director

[​IMG]

remenber the unannounced project Art Director recruiting back in August 2015? very high probability John Mueller (http://d.163.com/16/0801/15/BTD5C0K300314U9V.html) take this place

new diablo project is underdevelopment for at least 2years and 7 months

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D3 Technical Artist Rachel Day's resume shows she joined the new project right after ROS's release;
    D3 Senior Tools Programmer Chris Allsopp started new tools programming at July 2014.

They announced D3 at Paris 2 years and 7 months after Irvine version D3 development started.

mrpinsky likes this.
  2. mrpinsky

mrpinsky IncGamers Site Pal

Good find about John Mueller likely being the new art director. God knows D4 needs a better one than D3.

So here is an illustration by John Mueller. More here.[​IMG]

3. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

secondii
    «"Shader and GPU programming", "DirectX 10+" and "PBR" (Physically Based Rendering) pointed to a new genre Game Engine that using by Overwatch.»

Why it has to be Overwatch engine? PBR now is a wide-spread technique.

Diablo 3 used DX9, and still it's custom made engine from Blizz North. Direct speech from Anthony Rivero, Diablo 2 & Diablo 3 Lead Character Artist: "Diablo took about 10 years. The engine, and much of the character art pipeline was already built at Bliz North". https://soundcloud.com/gamedevunchained/0044-jay-wilson

«remenber the unannounced project Art Director recruiting back in August 2015? very high probability John Mueller (http://d.163.com/16/0801/15/BTD5C0K300314U9V.html) take this place»

Good catch, sir. But this guys found it first (30/07/2016): http://glasscannon.ru/2016/07/john-mueller-art-director-blizzard-diablo-iv/

«D3 Technical Artist Rachel Day's resume shows she joined the new project right after ROS's release;
    D3 Senior Tools Programmer Chris Allsopp started new tools programming at July 2014.
    »

Sensation made of lack of information. Rachel Day joined Overwatch team, as long as Chris Allsopp.

Rachel Day
    http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,303113/
    Overwatch (2016) (VFX Artists)

Chris Allsopp
    http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,356006/
    Overwatch (2016) (Additional Engineering)

They just didn't update their linkedin profiles.

4. Pharaohmancer

Pharaohmancer IncGamers Member

So, I have a relevant story to tell.

First off, I apologize that I don't have any actual proof for this story. You'll have to take it or leave it for what it is. Second, I feel kind of bad posting it, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble or anything like that.

Here goes:

I work at a restaurant in California. About two months ago, a customer came in wearing a Blizzard Entertainment hat. In passing, I mentioned that I thought his hat was cool. The customer mentioned that he worked for Blizzard (I'd rather not provide any more information beyond that, as I don't want to get anyone, including the customer or myself, in trouble). Proof for working at Blizzard was thoroughly convincing, however.

Upon mentioning that I was a huge Diablo fan, the customer revealed a few things regarding the next big plans for Diablo. Here are the few key points worth mentioning:
    • There is indeed an upcoming Diablo game.
    • The game is not Diablo 4, nor is it a Diablo 3 expansion.
    • The game "plays differently" than previous Diablo games. In this regard, he mentioned that it does not play in the traditional top-down Diablo style.
    Upon asking more questions, the customer requested that I ask no more and be patient. In actuality, he never did really request that confidentiality be maintained on the subject, though I still feel a bit awkward for posting this. Once again, I apologize that I don't have anything to show for this scenario, but I guarantee that it will be confirmed come the new project's announcement.

So, in turn, I think the most intriguing information that I have to give is that the game is not what most Diablo fans would be expecting, and rather, is a stand-alone game with completely different game mechanics than previous Diablo games. Again, take it for what it is, but I think you'll be surprised when the new game is announced.

5. nasarius

nasarius IncGamers Member

A Diablo spinoff is possible, but not in lieu of D3X2 or D4. It doesn't make any sense to (apparently) cancel the second expansion unless they're working on a true sequel.

Those Senior Tools Programmer details are actually pretty interesting technically, but they don't tell you much about the type of game. All I really get from this is: it's a AAA game (not built in Unity, and obviously not a mobile game).

6. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

A Skyrim style open world exploration game would be great :)

7. Ninyu

Ninyu IncGamers Member

I am leaning toward the new game being similar to Left 4 Dead or Vermintide. A 4 player class-based coop game where you run through various connected levels fighting back hordes of easy to kill monsters with various champions and bosses and completing objectives to get to the end. Vermintide has a pretty decent loot system that could fit into a Diablo-esque game very easily. They have the Overwatch engine to work off of already. Wouldn't take years worth of work to convert that into what I described. I don't think we are going to get Diablo 4 so soon, and I doubt there is much left of unreleased content for Diablo 3 that would justify an expansion.

8. HellsAngel

HellsAngel IncGamers Member

L4D was a fun game to play, ah the good times. And yeah i agree about D4 and D3, really not much to go on which is a shame.

9. secondii

secondii IncGamers Member

no,Sir,no,when we talking about unannounced project it goes to next gen diablo game/s not d3:Rise of the Skeletons coming this year

Asteria likes this.
  10. oup

oup IncGamers Member

11. mrpinsky

mrpinsky IncGamers Site Pal

Yep, all job openings have been closed. Now let's wait and see what happens next.

12. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Let's hope it's not Diablo Hearthstone. :)

oup likes this.
  13. oup

oup IncGamers Member

Please don't even joke about that :)

T2000 likes this.
  14. Ninyu

Ninyu IncGamers Member

I think the next hit mobile game, Nephalem vs Demons, will be announced. It will be a base defense game similar to Plants vs Zombies. Defend Tristram from the demon hordes led by Azmodan's expert tactics of attacking linearly down six lanes. You choose your favorite Diablo classes from the past to defend each lane and as you kill demons you gain skill runes to alter how each class attacks. Lots of opportunity for micro-transactions since your Nephalem heroes get "tired" and need to be recharged. The demons have different powers that you need to be wary of when you choose your Nephalem skills.

kidding! I would actually probably play that until it started asking for money.

15. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

16. fsj

fsj IncGamers Member

Interesting! Maybe we'll see what he's been working on since 2014 at this 20th anniversary panel :p. Just 3 weeks till we're put out of our misery or hopefully we're given something to cheer about.

17. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member